Considering new mouse

Reverend

Banned
I have been using a Logitech 3-button + scroll mouse for a long time (I can't even remember what its name is!) and feel that it's time I get a new one.

I've been hearing good things said about Logi's MX510. How good is it?

I use the smaller brother (MX310) due to myself being left-handed, and it is hands down the best mouse i've ever owned. Robust, precise and has a very good mouse wheel with the tactile snaps, unlike the horrible continuous wheels of the newer Microsoft mice (which are great otherwise, but the unprecise wheel is annoying me endlessly).

You might take a look at the brand new MX1000 as well, it boasts still better resolution due to a new laser system being used instead of the LED stuff.

Reverend,

I use the MX500 and I like it. The MX1000 is interesting, not sure if I could justify the added cost for benifit, but it is interesting. =)

the MX500 is the best mouse I ever had. I have 1 mx500 and 1 Intellimouse explorer 4.0a at the moment (with tilt wheel).

I do prefer the MX though.

I have the MX-900, it's a lovely mouse. I love the cordlessness and you can pretty much control your computer with this thing without the keyboard from the comfort of your sofa, bed etc.. 8 buttons: Left, Right, Pressable Scrollwheel, Back, Forward, Alt+Tab and quickscroll up and down.

Though the new logitech mouse flagship is the MX-1000 ||||||| Review

Snyder said:
I use the smaller brother (MX310) due to myself being left-handed, and it is hands down the best mouse i've ever owned. Robust, precise and has a very good mouse wheel with the tactile snaps, unlike the horrible continuous wheels of the newer Microsoft mice (which are great otherwise, but the unprecise wheel is annoying me endlessly).
I actually love the continuous scroll wheel in Microsoft's new mouse. It's great for text editing. I can scroll one line at a time or rapidly scroll through documents. Other wheels are too slow. It's not great if you use the scroll wheel to change weapons in games though.

What is the difference between the MX500 and the MX510?

Also, can I set either one of the two side buttons to be middle button without installing Logi's MouseWare software? In fact, is installing the MouseWare a must for full functionality of the mouse?

Reverend said:
What is the difference between the MX500 and the MX510?

Also, can I set either one of the two side buttons to be middle button without installing Logi's MouseWare software? In fact, is installing the MouseWare a must for full functionality of the mouse?

IIRC, the MX510 has a higher sampling rate. Otherwise it's functionally identical (same size, shape and button placement).

Mouseware is required to remap buttons. I have the large thumb button on my MX500 mapped to the middle button.

I love my MX900 and MX700 setup on my three computer systems... Really solid products from Logitech.

I have a MX900, it's good. Love the bluetooth functionality, it works like a charm with all the devices I've tested it with. All 5 standard buttons work on the 900 without the drivers, but like with any mouse they're restricted to their standard locations without driver software installed.

Also have a MS Intellimouse 3 for backup purposes. It rocks too. :p

Just to add a bit of variety to this thread, I just bought an IBM trackpoint USB keyboard, which has a built in "eraser head" trackpoint on it. I still am going to use my regular logitech optical mouse, but the benefit of the trackpoint is that you can mouse without removing your fingers from the keyboard. It's not as precise as the regular mouse (which is why I'll still have it) but it's really useful if you are doing a lot of typing and need to do some basic mousing and then type again.

I should be getting it later this week or early next week, I'll let you know how it works. :)

Nite_Hawk

Why does the bluetooth dinovo keyboard work in the bios setup? Is that bluetooth or some backup RF

Any Logitech MX mouse would work, although I have read of some complaints about the MX900 (Bluetooth) for gaming/accuracy.

I got the Cordless MX Duo which is the MX700 and a cordless version of the (I believe) Elite keyboard. Both go through the base station of the mouse, and I love it. I can play music, DVD's, whatever I want from bed and I can also take the keyboard downstairs and can use the multimedia keys (previous/next track, play/pause/stop, volume/mute) when listening to music.

Battery life has been good so far. The base station has a built in charger for the mouse which runs on 2 NiMH batteries, and the keyboard runs on 2 regular AA and I haven't had to change the keyboard batteries since I got it about 9 1/2 months ago (was a Christmas present).

The mouse is pretty heavy compared to the MX5x0, but I got used to it after a few days. I've reconfigured the two thumb buttons for a double-click and Back button for web browsing (works in Windows Explorer too). I also use the cruise-control buttons quite a bit (same thing as scrolling up/down with the wheel, but you just hold down a button)

I have a logitech mx500 and I dislike it imensely. That is allowed right :) Anyway I had an intellimouse explorer and everyone said the mx500 was the best ever and so forth so I bought one. When I got it it tracked way worse and would crawl around on the screen without input. I bought an everglide optical mouse pad and that fixed the crawl and other issues, but the intelli mouse worked fine with out it. Next time I am going to get an intellimouse...

The intellimice have the stepless scrolling wheels these days that are worthless for gaming. I can't believe MS went and did that... :( It sucks!

My MX500 crawled and stuttered a bit on my Dell mousepad, it happens sometimes with the 900 too, but getting another pad is hardly any kind of biggie IMO. MS's optical sensor may be more robust (dunno bout MX1000), but their bluetooth mouse sucks compared to the 900. It's very incompatible with other BT devices. It also lacks the recharging cradle so you need to fiddle with AA batteries whenever it runs flat. o_O

Guden Oden said:
The intellimice have the stepless scrolling wheels these days that are worthless for gaming. I can't believe MS went and did that... :( It sucks!

My MX500 crawled and stuttered a bit on my Dell mousepad, it happens sometimes with the 900 too, but getting another pad is hardly any kind of biggie IMO. MS's optical sensor may be more robust (dunno bout MX1000), but their bluetooth mouse sucks compared to the 900. It's very incompatible with other BT devices. It also lacks the recharging cradle so you need to fiddle with AA batteries whenever it runs flat. o_O

I know it sucks cause I gave away my intellimouse and now I can't get one that clicks as wheel turns... Still I don't like the crawling, I know it was easily dealt with, but IMO I shouldn't have to. A mouse that crawls IMO shows that although the sensor may be super sampled at a high rate or some other buzz word it still ain't going to be anymore accurate than one that doesn't.

Unfortunately there is not a wide variety of mice I can actually try out and I would like to see about them b4 I buy. The mx1000 sounds nifty but wireless mice often have lag.

Back