CONFIRMED: PS3 to use "Nvidia-based Graphics processor&

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) That's got to be the fasting growing thread i saw in a while here.
2.) Is that the reason why nVidia performance in the PC market has been somewhat lacking in the past ~2 years?
3.) Does that increase the possibility to make PS3 backwards compatible to ... the XBOX ;)

Wow. Big news. Can't be denied. Not only do Microsoft and Nintendo have a lot to worried about, but I also agree that Intel and any other x86 PC company does too. Congrats Nvidia and Sony. Now lets see what and how they deliver.

Tommy McClain

I honestly was not expecting this. I always knew it was possible, ever since the 1st half of 2003 when Nvidia CEO made all those comments about probably not doing Xbox 2 graphics and that PS3/CELL was a 'miracle machine' and blah blah blah. but I really thought Sony would go its own way yet again, for the 4th time (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3).

well now, the masters of hype join forces !

PB127425-sm.jpg

c_kutaragi.jpg

together at last
:devilish:

this really is huge for Nvidia. after PS3 is completed and assuming the Nvidia side of things are all good, Nvidia gets first shot at PSP2 and PS4 graphics. think about it.

If this means I won't have to choose between the best graphics and the most popular Japanese games, I'll be happy.

Lol at Megadrive's "Masters of Hype" post. :LOL: :LOL:

McFly said:
Nvidia Flops, here we come. :LOL: ;)

Don't even joke about something like that dude! :D
Before we know it, we'll have a "PetaFLOPS" supercomputer in our TVs! :LOL:

bbot said:
If this means I won't have to choose between the best graphics and the most popular Japanese games, I'll be happy.

True.

Imagine a Resident Evil on PS3..(imo, one of the best examples from Japan of stunning art and technology).

And what happens to these comments if it turns out the IC is, say, Cell-based (eg. >4GHz S|APU front-end) with more advanced versions of nVidia's Pixel Engines (ROPs) in parallel behind them mixed with eDRAM? We'd be back to where we were a year ago in thinking, just with nVidia onboard.

interesting.

DaveBaumann wrote:
And that Cell isn't the be all and end all of all types of processing... Wink

Obviously It's not.
But we're still trying to understand if the GPU will be CELL based anyway or if Sony it's 'just' slapping a NVIDIA GPU in there.. After listening Mr. Hofstee press conference I believe there's more than just a new GPU to be coupled with the CELL CPU.

I'm currently thinking that PS3 is CELL CPU and 'CELL-(G)Force' GPU.

APUs / SPUs are still most likely the GPUs front end. there is Local Storage and eDRAM and nVidia Pixel Engines / ROPs / Pixel Shaders (4.0+?) and Image Cache and CRTC.

PS3 should have easy and managable anti-aliasing (a good method, something post NV40) good tri-linear and aniostropic filtering, proper mipp-mapping, pixel shaders of some sort. everything that a Sony or Sony-Toshiba or Toshiba GPU would probably be lacking.

with the intel deal last week, nVidia is getting a lot of big PR. guess things could finally be turning around for them.

What does this mean for games development?

Given that MS confirmed ATI for Xenon about 15 months ago, and presumeably began to circulate firm specs to key developers around this time, does this mean that PS3 development is 15 months behind, or were specs secretly circulated a while ago (on the assumption of this confirmation)?

How would this bode for PS3 games that are rumoured to appear around March 2006? Perhaps this can shed some light on the rumoured developer issues surrounding early PS3 development. Could any developers speculate?

remember the transistor ratio of GS to EE (including eDRAM) was something like between 3:1 and 4:1. if the Sony-Nvidia GPU has anything like a similar ratio to PS3 CPU, that would likely mean over a billion tranies for the GPU, no?

function said:
Given that MS confirmed ATI for Xenon about 15 months ago, and presumeably began to circulate firm specs to key developers around this time, does this mean that PS3 development is 15 months behind, or were specs secretly circulated a while ago (on the assumption of this confirmation)?

It doesn't mean PS3 is 15 months behind..just that Sony's information release re. PS3 is 15 months behind ;)

Cell workstations aka early PS3 dev kits are already in the hands of game developers, so March/Apr/May 2006 for launch seems very plausible.

Speculation, Sony, might only be trying to get TNT2 stuff from NV. :D so PS3 GPU could be just TNT2 on steroid and maybe several of them :)

Now lets see how the market responds to ATI stock and Nvidia stock.

Nvidia climbed nearly $2, and I think it will continue...anyone who bought Nvidia at $9 early this year must be smiling :)

ATI should still hold up, but possibly drop slightly.

This is shocking news, but so good to know PS3 Graphics should be on par with anything ATI comes up with.

Speng.

Did Nintendo know?

With all the "horse power doesn't matter anymore" talk at E3 were they just really saying "it doesn't matter because we can't compete anyway so instead we're gonna go full force on new gameplay features"?

Titanio said:
function said:

It doesn't mean PS3 is 15 months behind..just that Sony's information release re. PS3 is 15 months behind ;)

Cell workstations aka early PS3 dev kits are already in the hands of game developers, so March/Apr/May 2006 for launch seems very plausible.

But is this a release of a decision that was made and a contract that was signed (say) 15 months ago, or only recently?

Do these Cell workstations include the Nvidia technology that this statement covers? Is this Nv technology a core component of the Cell workstation (I wasn't under that impression)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back