COD2 Reviews

seismologist said:
So Your going to punish Sony by making an uneducated purchase of what may end up being the inferior system anyway? Yeah that'll show them.

No its i simply that having had a ps2 for 4-5 years and and xbox for about 3 i know i have had so much more fun with the xbox. Microsft produces and encourages people to produce the type of games i like to play, something nintendo did in the n64 days but have done of the pace in the last few years.

Also live is an excellent service which i think will be expanded on enormously for 360.

I also want the next gen to start now and think the 360 has enough fire power to deliver the goods once developers get there heads around it, pS3 will almost cerainly not arrive in the u.k. until teh end of next year at the earliest.

MS have constantly been critised at thing like E3 etc. for the games looking xbox1.5ish. This is beacuse unlike Sony they have been showing genuine in engine stuff al the way through when the poor dev only had g5 to deal with. However i like this approach, it has an honesty that after experiencing SONYs BS machine for the lasy 7 years is very refreshing.

And to call me uneducated in these thing is frankly rude. Please have a word with your self , I follow this stuff like a rabbid dog. To be honest i had the full specs of the 360, xenon as it was generally known then,on my desk at least 9months before anything appeared in the online press (I shit you not).

I was wow by it then and havent stopped being interested since.

Oh and if the PS3 has content i am interested in of course i will buy it, I had ever one of the current gen consoles its just that xbox has delivered more for me.

scooby_dooby said:
Then I was like...."wait a sec...I just watched spiderman the movie....with GT4 cars inlayed...wtf was that?"

Something along the lines of "We're Sony, we make videogames, and movies, and music, and donuts, and if we want we can join all those together even if it doesn't make much sense. Stay tuned for the new GTA game with Celine Dion soundtrack and characters from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!!"

There's definately potential in joining their movie and videogame production, but i didn't really get that GT+Spiderman thing. It felt more like they thought "mmmm let's see, what's our bigggest videogame franchise... GT!!! And what's our biggest movie franchise at the moment... SPIDERMAN!!! BINGO!!! We can even use the Spiderman font on the PS3 cover!!"

rabidrabbit said:
Demonstration of the Blu-ray interactive capabilities, maybe?
Mixing live action footage with interactive high quality 3D graphics... I'm not saying that's the direction I hope future games are to take, but as an extra content in BR movie discs that would be cool.

Been there already, how can you forget those shoot'em'up FMV games, where you had a FMV video in the background, with 3D enemies to shoot on the foreground.... Looked kinda cool at the time but that was about 10 years ago, people have moved on from "interactive movies" (*cringe*), white trousers and baggy open shirts with a t-shirt underneath (*supercringe*).

I'm old enough to forget things :D
Of course it should be more sophisticated interactivity this time, not just simple streamed background with 3D graphics layered on top.
Don't know, or maybe it was to present a technique, something like using real time video as essentially part of the 3d graphics, imagine a game something like Silent Hill The Movie, with quite small and closed environments, instead of the realtime rendered graphics for the surroundings, they would have been filmed in real world (movie set) step by step, every nook and cranny, and streamed from the disc as you move the 3D rendered character and interact with the 3D rendered monsters that are seamlessly overlaid on top of the video stream.

Or more likely, it was just to demonstrate how it's possible to render high quality game graphics while at the same time display a High Definition video.
In the demo they were just interleaved to make a composition of Spoiderman and GT, while in real life it might be used more in split-screen format. Spidey3 on the left, GT5 on the right, or on two separate screens (while I really don't know how it would be possible with just one Blu-ray slot???... but I think that was their idea of the demo... to show how you can run at least two intensive apps at the same time)
white trousers and baggy open shirts with a t-shirt underneath (*supercringe*).
...you mean those are already out of fashion??? It was only last summer I bought myself those and thought they looked cool :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite sure the point of that demo was just a general idea of how Sony can join the 2 markets, movies and games, to produce more and better content.

Overlaying video to 3D graphics has been done before, even if not HD. The technicalities of the demo, in my opinion, are largely overshadowed by the implications of the first comment i made.

Sony is in a very good position, they have the rights to thousands of movies and can pretty much juggle between the 2 markets as they see fit. That can have huge implication in the future, much more so that a simple demo with HD video and 3D graphics together.

hmpf... well, I better not link that pic of you posted in general forums a while ago... the comment "George Michael in the late 80's" was very fitting imo :devilish:

rabidrabbit said:
hmpf... well, I better not link that pic of you posted in general forums a while ago... the comment "George Michael in the late 80's" was very fitting imo :devilish:

Well at least i can say i didn't decide to wear those clothes!!! :devilish:

lefizz said:
And to call me uneducated in these thing is frankly rude. Please have a word with your self , I follow this stuff like a rabbid dog. To be honest i had the full specs of the 360, xenon as it was generally known then,on my desk at least 9months before anything appeared in the online press (I shit you not).

I was wow by it then and havent stopped being interested since.

Oh and if the PS3 has content i am interested in of course i will buy it, I had ever one of the current gen consoles its just that xbox has delivered more for me.

I follow these things like a hawk too, but there's no way I would say anyone could make an educated conclusion about the PS3 right now. We just dont know enough.
You said you're put off from buying a PS3 because you like being swayed by Microsoft hype more than Sony hype, I find that silly and irrational.

Last edited by a moderator:
seismologist said:
I follow these things like a hawk too, but there's no way I would say anyone could make an educated conclusion about the PS3 right now. We just dont know enough.
You said you're put off from buying a PS3 because you like being swayed by Microsoft hype more than Sony hype, I find that silly and irrational.

No i am not 'putting off purchasing a PS3' the bloody things wont be availble in the u.k. till around this time next year. I am purchasing a 360 cos they are avaible next week.
At the price £300 it is something of a steal and between that and my other option which was to buy a 7800 gtx the 360 is a much better investment.

No one can make a final assessment between the PS3 and 360 yet, not you not me not John Carmack. We can offer opinions but until a year or two down the line there will be no hard facts about comparitive performance since the machine will take a considerable amount of time to master. OK the PS3 appear to have the edge in some ways but easy of developemnt a developer tools will also paly there part.

OK and as for swayed by marketing hype please just drop the BS, at least MS showed actual content, unimpressive content since is was running on G5s but still actual in enigine footage as opposed to Sonys video from animation production houses which bear absolutely now realtionship to what the PS3 may achieve. If they showed a clips from starwars it would have been as informative. How I feel about the raging PR war is of course totally irrelavant since at some stage the games come out and then if you want to play them you buy the console, it that simple isnt it?I am old enough to really at the most imporatant level to know if a game looks exciting and you really want to play it ge the hardware you need and play it. This isnt party politics.

I am sure technically both machine are fantastic and must have developer sratching there heads about what now is possible and that is exactlly what we as customers want. In the console enviroment you need at least 2 viable competitors without that you would have a very bad time as a gamer. As it stand both have to sell there console at a loss to gain market share, with out competition this wouldnt happen. It also means that they have to engage in a hardware arms race where we and consumers benifit. Like the gfx card world nvidia and ati would never have got where they are today without each other to compete against. After the fall of 3dfx and the otherr minor players it was good that Ati really did pick up the bat and started challeging and sometimes (9700) beating nvidia. Sometimes one is ahead and sometimes the other but like Sony vs MS without both players we as consumers would be the loosers.

Phil

This game is freaking AMAZING :oops:

NO jaggies, smooth as a baby's butt frame rate and highly addictive responsive gameplay :D

the particle effects and smoke are the best I've ever seen and the frantic pace of SP is balanced nicely with a more refined stealthy feel to MP (only 8 players)

Back