CoD: World at War

CoD4 got its scores because of its multiplayer no doubt (as the 5 hour long campaign is so short i doubt any reviewer, even considering all their flaws would give it so high scores without it)

It's a short campaign but it does things in terms of storytelling that are quite novel and provides really incredible setpieces (that crumble when you prod at them too hard). You can't really separate MP from SP, but certainly both had a heavy impact.

Ordered the uncut version from the UK and should be receiving it either today or tomorrow. Anyone know if the Online Co-Op is the single-player just online or do they have a seperate coop version like in R2?

Kind of wish I bought this instead of Far Cry 2. FC2 feels too much like a sandbox game (which I don't really like). It seems extremely slow, especially after I played R2.

More interestingly, it debuted with double the numbers of COD4.
Not surprised. CoD4 was the best marketing a game could ever recieve. 90% of the people who I've seen signed into PSN on my friendslist have it. Although 20% of those have comments complaining about it, heh.

Not surprised. CoD4 was the best marketing a game could ever recieve...

I never saw one tv ad until it shot to the top of the market because of the incredible addictive multiplayer Beta that spread word of mouth marketing from Xbox users the month leading up to release.

that (word of mouth of a good game) is the best marketing ever.

WaW has a similar (actually improved) MP so it's no surprise that a high quality WW2 shooter would do well. Also the co-op in SP (not in CoD4) is a big feature for some as well.

I put about 140 hours in CoD4 ... not bad for a "5 hour" game. ;)

Just started playing the game last night on Veteran (my first time through). Very fustrating experience, but who said war is fun or shouldn't fustrating? ;)

I have to say, the SP grabed me more in CoD4 probably because I'm not too much into WW1 shooters. I do have to say though, the landscapes are pretty impressive so far though (visually speaking). The CoD4 engine works very well, nice fluid 60 fps most of the time and the experience is very authentic.

The endless spawns of enemies is quite fustrating at times, especially on Veteran because you get the sense, that you're just playing a movie and you have to do the single winning steps to get through the game without sense of freedom of how you would like to tackle a problem. The experience seems very static, although playing on Veteran probably increases this feeling. All on all, good game and I'm looking forward to the online multiplayer.

Oh and one more thing - anyone else having these crashes on the PS3 version when playing Online Coop? Crashes only occur after completing a mission and usually results in the host gettnig a full lock/crash where the only thing you can do is switch the console off... Very annoying. Hope they solve this soon. We tried this 3 player changing the host with every game always with the same result.

I'm seriously bugged by some of the bugs in this game.

Anyone else having trouble leveling up while playing online multiplayer? I'm stuck at level 3 and can't uplevel, even though I already got the experience points required. The online stats show me at level 6, but the game is convinced I'm still at level 3...

callofduty5_bug.jpg

Anyone have any advice how to solve this or where I can file my bug?

Nice to have info:
Version: PS3
Update V: 1.02

I've been spending a lot of time with this game and have to say, I'm hugely impressed with it. Multiplayer is a lot of fun with friends and as you get the hang of it, it only gets better.

Anyone else enjoying this too?

BTW: There are a few major flaws though, despite the frequent "Connection time outs" after a good match: Glitching is becoming a more apparent problem in some of the levels. I've noticed quite a few cheaters taking advantage of some of the glitches to reach spots in the game where no one can shoot you and you can kill anyone. This really could break the game, if there's not an update soon to fix this.

I'm really enjoying the single player campaign. The only complaints so far are, the AI seems to be really dumb at times, and I don't really like how the story telling is done by old WW footage. I haven't played CoD4 for a while, but I don't think I enjoyed the SP campaign as much as I'm enjoying CoD WaW. I think a lot of people loved CoD4 for the multiplayer, but I'm not much of an online gamer. I also like how theres a coop mode, something CoD4 lacked IIRC.

This is a big improvement over CoD3 for Treyarch IMO.

new Map pack came out last week (along with Patch #3 with MP game tweaks) 3 MP maps and 1 new co-op "Zombie" map. Overall beautiful maps with very cool game play elements. Well worth my $10.

the patch addresses some of the wonky re spawn issues (in front of an enemy) and fixed any last glitches.

WaW IMO MP is better than CoD4 was... Very well done here.

patch details

Here are the changes on the new patch for 360 and PS3

* All rifle grenades fired during the first 15 seconds of Search & Destroy will be duds to prevent griefing in that game mode.
* Improvements have been made to the global spawn system – players should never spawn within the line of sight of an enemy.
* Players who equip the Bouncing Betty and melee teammates in Hardcore game modes are now credited with a team kill penalty.
* Players are now deducted 200 points for team killing the bomb planter/defuser in Hardcore Search & Destroy.
* Martyrdom no longer causes “direct impact” grenade deaths in Hardcore modes.
* Players ranked higher than the maximum allowed in the Boot Camp playlist are no longer able to play in games with lower ranked friends in that playlist.
* “Bayonet jumping” has been disabled.
* Further improvements have been made to geographical matchmaking.
* The “New” icon clears when a player has viewed an unlocked weapon (X360 only).
* Many zombies were raised from the dead.

Finally they fixed the spawn locations.

http://forums.xbox.com/26356417/ShowPost.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Call of Duty: World at War, Map Pack 1 Sets First Week Download Record on Xbox LIVE

Microsoft today revealed that Activision Publishing Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) new Call of Duty®: World at War, Map Pack 1 set a new record for number of downloads in its first week of release on Xbox LIVE. Since the launch of the pack, Xbox LIVE members have played more than 150 million multiplayer sessions on Call of Duty: World at War, with friends and rivals joining in the action from all corners of the globe.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/arch...rdofMagog.aspx

LIVE Activity for week of March 23rd #1
Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU’s)

1 Call of Duty: WaW
2 Halo 3
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 RESIDENT EVIL 5
6 GTA IV
7 FIFA 09
8 Left 4 Dead
9 Halo Wars
10 Fallout 3

really enjoying this game. Hardcore TD is pretty tense as are some games of CTF. Lots of modes to choose form but most of them are too crazy for me. I like these slower paced modes

bit of news... this game is no slouch considering all the treyarch haters ;)

I didn't play more than 10 minutes of the SP but had hours upon hours in the MP

2 million people DL'ed the DLC map pack 2 over the weekend and the company announced 11 million units of CoD WAW sold to date :D (since it launched in November of 2008)

Kicking up a old topic but I just started playing this game but I hate it already. I like modern warfare 2 but this sucks. First of all how about implementing some decent controlls? You keep pressing buttons like crazy to get out of crouch etc. How about just agreeing that pressing and holding C makes you crouch and releasing it makes you stand up? Pressing C to crouch and than space to get out of it is just f'in retarded. Second I hate the grenedes. Can't play the game because of them. You don't have any clue where they are but apparrently you need to run like hell if the icon appears. But you can't because this game also has the lame enemy spawning so no matter where you go you get shot. Also seeing enemies is too hard because of the lack of using different colors.

And last I want the HP bar come back and not this shit system of ducking to regain health. Besides it being lame it doesnt fucking work because of the respawning enemies you always get shot and most of the time half your screen is red which makes already hard to see enemies even harder to see.

And lets not even start about the crosshair. Either use a small one or don't use one at all but stop using crosshairs the size of my fucking screen. Its totally useless.

This games fails.

Yes it does.

I actually fired the game up again not too long ago. After it deleted my progress in the single player campaign with one of its mandatory updates earlier this year, I thought I'd give it another go after going platinum in MW2. I couldn't play the game beyond the 2nd mission.

While the gameplay mechanics are solid most of the time, I just can't find much liking about the weapons and the infinite enemy spawning is quite annoying as well. Then there's the difficulty which can drive you up the wall (and I made it half way through the game on Veteran until my progress got deleted, go figure...).

The only good thing about this game that comes to my mind is being able to play the single-player campaign CO-OP offline or online. As much as Spec-Ops rocks in MW2, being able to play the real campaign mode with mates is seriously good fun (as long there are no connection problems, which sadly is rather rare at times).

I played the SP demo of MW2 on my ps3 and I was shocked :oops: ! Is this what the console crowd loves so much, the moment you press L1, the scope automatically snaps to any enemy in view. i can understand some aim assist, but this is ridiculous ! All I had to do was to keep pressing L1 and a short burst with R1. Repeat as many times as there are enemies on screen, the game bloody plays itself. Look Ma, No aiming :( !

I am completely disillusioned ! I am a avid fan of COD ever since the first game shook us with sound of ammo ringing while running around, but I had played all the CODs on my PC. I was happy to see the console crowd loving my favourite series too, but if this is how it was presented to the console crowd, then I am aghast ! The game has pretty pretty campaigns, intense and rewarding(it has infinite respawns,but still) but playing it on my ps3 is a completely washed out experience. Its as if the game just wants me to go through set pieces, no skill, no aiming, no tension required. Does this translate to MP too? Cos if it does, I really lost respect for all you console COD fans out there. You guys are playing a casual watered down COD. :( !

This game is one of my favorite MP games of all time. Better than MW2. ONLINE is great and makes me think Black Ops is going to be very good. Better than MW2

I played the SP demo of MW2 on my ps3 and I was shocked :oops: ! Is this what the console crowd loves so much, the moment you press L1, the scope automatically snaps to any enemy in view. i can understand some aim assist, but this is ridiculous ! All I had to do was to keep pressing L1 and a short burst with R1. Repeat as many times as there are enemies on screen, the game bloody plays itself. Look Ma, No aiming :( !

I am completely disillusioned ! I am a avid fan of COD ever since the first game shook us with sound of ammo ringing while running around, but I had played all the CODs on my PC. I was happy to see the console crowd loving my favourite series too, but if this is how it was presented to the console crowd, then I am aghast ! The game has pretty pretty campaigns, intense and rewarding(it has infinite respawns,but still) but playing it on my ps3 is a completely washed out experience. Its as if the game just wants me to go through set pieces, no skill, no aiming, no tension required. Does this translate to MP too? Cos if it does, I really lost respect for all you console COD fans out there. You guys are playing a casual watered down COD. :( !

The aim assist is basically upped to 11 in Single Player but its reduced considerably in the multiplayer.

Back