CoD: World at War

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Or otherwise knows as: Call of Duty 5: Retextured world

If you've played CoD4, you'll find nothing changed in CoD4. The gameplay is exactly same but this time they've added very annoying voices. The helicopter has been replaced with attack dogs which are easy to kill and give points. The WW2 guns fire like the CoD4 guns but just not as cool. Vehicles use seems tacked on and frankly are a bit tacky.

I don't plan on getting this unless majority of the CoD4 community shifts over to it. I can't support this with $60. I expect the campagin to be the same old. Retarded AI with endless NPC's with aimbot set to max on Veteran.

It's a Treyarch Call of Duty, I can't imagine the community shifting over when every low point in the CoD series was a Treyarch game. Just wait for the next Infinity Ward CoD and maybe grab this one some day from the cheap bin some day.

It's a Treyarch Call of Duty, I can't imagine the community shifting over when every low point in the CoD series was a Treyarch game. Just wait for the next Infinity Ward CoD and maybe grab this one some day from the cheap bin some day.

Oh I know but they were smart enough to carbon copy the CoD4 MP. Hopefully not too many people care about WW2 even with a great MP template. All Infinity Ward has to do is release a new and good mappack and this will be soon forgotten.

Does Joe CoD4MP know who Treyarch and IW are, or will they just see the CoD label?

Does Joe CoD4MP know who Treyarch and IW are, or will they just see the CoD label?

If I recall correctly sales of cod3 were down from cod2. I don't know if thats because cod2 was one of the best launch titles or cause cod3 just sucked.

If I recall correctly sales of cod3 were down from cod2. I don't know if thats because cod2 was one of the best launch titles or cause cod3 just sucked.

But the franchise only really got mega block-buster status with 4. None of the others sold even close to CoD4's what, nearly 10 million?

But the franchise only really got mega block-buster status with 4. None of the others sold even close to CoD4's what, nearly 10 million?

To be fair, it's mainly because CoD4' MP is the best thing since Counter Strike and easily the best thing for console only owners (since the console CS sucks and they're too noob for PC CS).

The reviews will mention it's not an Infinity Ward Call of Duty so they will know. Call of Duty was always a multi-million seller just CoD4 was a super exception in a good way.

To be fair, it's mainly because CoD4' MP is the best thing since Counter Strike and easily the best thing for console only owners (since the console CS sucks and they're too noob for PC CS).

The reviews will mention it's not an Infinity Ward Call of Duty so they will know. Call of Duty was always a multi-million seller just CoD4 was a super exception in a good way.

I'm questioning whether merit will even enter into it. I'm thinking of Guitar Hero here. Harmonix left, Neversoft took its place, the game still sold enormous numbers, despite reviews telling people what happened and pointing out an alternative as a far better game. I think Activision's betting on a repeat of that for CoD, and I think they'll be right. I hope they won't, I'd rather if they don't 'annualize' franchises, but I think it'll be enormous.

I'm questioning whether merit will even enter into it. I'm thinking of Guitar Hero here. Harmonix left, Neversoft took its place, the game still sold enormous numbers, despite reviews telling people what happened and pointing out an alternative as a far better game. I think Activision's betting on a repeat of that for CoD, and I think they'll be right. I hope they won't, I'd rather if they don't 'annualize' franchises, but I think it'll be enormous.

Except many people didn't consider Rock Band that much better and you entirely ignore the factor of price, a huge sticking point. Anyway, Call of Duty is already "annualized" since the release of three. There really wasn't even that large of a gap between the original and the second.

Except many people didn't consider Rock Band that much better and you entirely ignore the factor of price, a huge sticking point. Anyway, Call of Duty is already "annualized" since the release of three. There really wasn't even that large of a gap between the original and the second.

Metacritic-wise, RB had a steady lead -- GH3 scored in the low-to-mid 80s, RB in the low 90s. CoD3 scored in the low 80s and CoD4 in the mid-90s. Their relative performance is fairly close. We're not talking about your average joe, but the power of reviewers. I'm saying when it comes to big franchises, which CoD became after 4, they can usually withstand an occasional lackluster game, and the press is pretty much powerless at stopping it. I'm sure Activision knows this; they know how a franchise can be milked into the ground, just look at Tony Hawk. They're no doubt hoping that interspersing bad and good can keep it all alive.

At least Treyarch have been able to add "Local Search" to the game. COD4 users(especially those outside the US), have been crying for that since day one.

Metacritic-wise, RB had a steady lead -- GH3 scored in the low-to-mid 80s, RB in the low 90s. CoD3 scored in the low 80s and CoD4 in the mid-90s. Their relative performance is fairly close. We're not talking about your average joe, but the power of reviewers. I'm saying when it comes to big franchises, which CoD became after 4, they can usually withstand an occasional lackluster game, and the press is pretty much powerless at stopping it. I'm sure Activision knows this; they know how a franchise can be milked into the ground, just look at Tony Hawk. They're no doubt hoping that interspersing bad and good can keep it all alive.

Metacritic != real living people (reviewers exist in a separate realm). Anyway, you're still ignoring the significant price gap between GH3 and RB and how that obviously makes your comparison rather worthless. Price more than anything will scare consumers.

Also, Call of Duty was already a huge seller. Each game sold in the millions. CoD4 was just a massive game, and I have serious doubts anyway game in the series, Infinity Ward or Treyarch, will ever match it again. It was a perfect release point, and really pushed multiplayer more than anything. CoD has been on a regular release cycle for awhile and even had poor old-console spin off games for it. Reviews will mention it's Treyarch developing this one, will note the even more lackluster single player, and copy cat multiplayer. The online community will likely not shift and this one will perform like your typical CoD game sales wise. Really good, not amazingly great.

Metacritic != real living people (reviewers exist in a separate realm).

Er, metacritic reflects the average review score.

Anyway, you're still ignoring the significant price gap between GH3 and RB and how that obviously makes your comparison rather worthless. Price more than anything will scare consumers.

What about the bundle-less game? It is a pity we don't really get any differentiation there, but I think it's pretty safe to believe that GH is still the bigger franchise, notwithstanding the inferior game.

Also, Call of Duty was already a huge seller. Each game sold in the millions.

I don't know if you can use plural, though, and it's not even in the same league. CoD4 was over 10 million. The games always were big, but CoD4 wasn't just big, it was enormous. Those are Madden/GTA/GH numbers.

CoD4 was just a massive game, and I have serious doubts anyway game in the series, Infinity Ward or Treyarch, will ever match it again. It was a perfect release point, and really pushed multiplayer more than anything. CoD has been on a regular release cycle for awhile and even had poor old-console spin off games for it. Reviews will mention it's Treyarch developing this one, will note the even more lackluster single player, and copy cat multiplayer. The online community will likely not shift and this one will perform like your typical CoD game sales wise. Really good, not amazingly great.

You keep saying that reviewers will influence public opinion when I don't think they do. Word of mouth and brand appeal are far stronger; the review-reading people are mostly enthusiasts. These enthusiasts are important to spread word of mouth on a game, but they don't have that much influence beyond that. Do recall Assassin's Creed, a game with no MP component and mixed reviews, a mere 80 on metacritic, sold 6 million copies. That's 3x Bioshock, another game with no MP component but universally high review scores -- and with that big a gap, even multiplatform release doesn't explain it, before you go there.

CoD:WW has built up its own momentum. The MP beta may be enough to dissuade people from buying the game, but as I see it the game, unlike CoD4, will have a enormous first-day sales but will soon drop off, if the game really isn't that great. Unlike CoD4, word-of-mouth won't carry it further, but it'll still be big success. And yeah, maybe people will stick to 4 in MP, but if millions of copies have been sold already, it's not like Activision is going to be dissuaded from alternating good and bad developer houses for the franchise. It won't be as big as CoD4, it won't sell 10 million copies, but I do think it'll be one of the biggest games this year, mostly on brand recognition. The only thing that can really hurt CoD's image is the WW2 part; I don't think it'll resonate as strongly as modern weapons would.

CoD:WW has built up its own momentum. The MP beta may be enough to dissuade people from buying the game, but as I see it the game, unlike CoD4, will have a enormous first-day sales but will soon drop off, if the game really isn't that great. Unlike CoD4, word-of-mouth won't carry it further, but it'll still be big success. And yeah, maybe people will stick to 4 in MP, but if millions of copies have been sold already, it's not like Activision is going to be dissuaded from alternating good and bad developer houses for the franchise. It won't be as big as CoD4, it won't sell 10 million copies, but I do think it'll be one of the biggest games this year, mostly on brand recognition. The only thing that can really hurt CoD's image is the WW2 part; I don't think it'll resonate as strongly as modern weapons would.

It won't be as big as CoD4 or even close and that's a good thing. However, it'll ride the wave of CoD4 and still sell tremendously (I'm thinking atleast 4 mil all said and done) and that sucks.....Like I said, I hope the CoD4 community remains highly populated and doesn't shift to this.

Er, metacritic reflects the average review score.

I know that, and I specifically made mention of it. I can't even understand why you'd post this sentence.

What about the bundle-less game? It is a pity we don't really get any differentiation there, but I think it's pretty safe to believe that GH is still the bigger franchise, notwithstanding the inferior game.

You're just making your comparison even more worthless. Comparing the Call of Duty games to Guitar Hero and Rock Band is just pointless. It fails on so many points. RB/GH are different series, they're priced differently, RB was the first to go full instruments, etc, etc. On the other hand CoD 4 and CoD WW are the same series, Treyarch has already made a CoD game, and they cost the same. Where are these situations similar again?

I don't know if you can use plural, though, and it's not even in the same league. CoD4 was over 10 million. The games always were big, but CoD4 wasn't just big, it was enormous. Those are Madden/GTA/GH numbers.

I didn't call CoD4 big, I called it amazingly great and contrasted it against good...

You keep saying that reviewers will influence public opinion when I don't think they do. Word of mouth and brand appeal are far stronger; the review-reading people are mostly enthusiasts. These enthusiasts are important to spread word of mouth on a game, but they don't have that much influence beyond that. Do recall Assassin's Creed, a game with no MP component and mixed reviews, a mere 80 on metacritic, sold 6 million copies. That's 3x Bioshock, another game with no MP component but universally high review scores -- and with that big a gap, even multiplatform release doesn't explain it, before you go there.

Reviews will mention the difference. Reviews will bring up that it's a Treyarch CoD game, that it's from the same people who did CoD3, that again it's just a different company. Not to mention enthusiasts mentioning it as well, telling their less "hardcore" gaming friends that it's from a different company. People buy games to play with others in the case of multiplayer focused games. That's the reason Halo is so popular, that's the reason CoD4 is so popular.

You try to bring up single player focused games... for I have no reasoning why. Different situations that you're again trying to compare to Call of Duty. Maybe if Assassin's Creed and Bioshock were in the same series you might have a point, and maybe if they were targeting the same market (attitude more than anything, and not really the people who buy games).

So what was your point again? Like I said from the start, World at War won't be a Call of Duty 4 level success. It will sell millions of copies, given. But it won't reach CoD4 level of numbers.

Tried this over the last couple nights. I suck. On top of that, the maps just don't seem to be as good. The gameplay is pretty much unchanged from 4. The dogs are a neat idea, but damn there's so many of them.

Tried this over the last couple nights. I suck. On top of that, the maps just don't seem to be as good. The gameplay is pretty much unchanged from 4. The dogs are a neat idea, but damn there's so many of them.

Knife and pistol are great for the dogs... at first I almost quit after getting killed by dogs but after a while they were tolerable. I really really like this game, FAST as hell and they brought back capture the flag which is the most adrenaline pumping game ever. in CoD 2, 3 and now WaW. Also as you improve I started to dominate with the gun tweaks... almost unfairly but eventually most people will catch up.

the only problem is it is so fast that I get a little dizzy and can't stop myself from playing. So I'm back to BF:BC instead of buying this since it is more realsitic (looking and playing) it feels like a real battle.

But CoD5 is pretty and smooth and fun and well balanced. I like it as well or better (cap Flag) than CoD4

The maps are utterly stupid, why on earth do they want me to capture positions in the far corners of the map with no significance? They could atleast applied some logic when deciding capture points.

When did this become a topic on Couner-Strike? :S
Mod : Since someone decided replying to a month old post with totally off-topic discourse instead of letting it slide was a good idea. Thread purged.

I was seriously on the verge of ordering this game (CoD5 that is), but then found out that it's not an InfinityWard game. I'm also not too excited about the WW2 theme, which makes me think I should rather pass this one up. What a pitty, after the brilliance of CoD4, I was really looking forward to this...

Maybe I'll get this once it's in stores and it turns out to be good...

Back