close look of NV40

i for one have thown in the towel and have accepted the two slot. I bet it is the way of the future for the supper duper cards.... Just vent out the case, then maybe i can baffle it.... I use more than two comps now so i guess my game rig will be loudest.

gamingphreek said:
Greetings,
Sorry getting a little worked up but ive been researching this card for about a month and i knew what i was talking about. According to benchmarks Nvidia benefits much more from a higher clockspeed than Nvidia. (Basically Nvidia= Intel and ATI=AMD) I assume this is because Nvidia has a longer pipe and ATI's is shorter (again like the Intel and AMD comparisons)

Well, nVidia hardware does have less IPC (instruction per clock) throughput than ATI, like your Intel<->AMD comparison, but that means both ATI and AMD get more benefit per clock, not less, unless some other limitation (different bandwidth utilization, different output, or "shortcuts" that apply only to benchmarking and not gaming, for example) becomes a factor. There are only a limited set of articles that take such issues into account, so even with abundant research you might have come to faulty conclusions.

Second thing is i always thought that a chipset determines whether it goes into High Middle or Low end not the price.

No, or else the 9100 and Ti 4600 would still be high end. They were aimed at high end at one point, and then they weren't...the chipset didn't change but their placing in the market (high/mid/low-end) did.

In fact i just upgrade to an MSI 5900XT with VIVO :) (lol from an AWESOME Geforce 2 :D ) On one review i read (believe it was Hard OCP) said that it is the Value section of the Highend.

HardOCP doesn't inform well about hardware comparison, for various reasons, though a lot of reading and searches here would be required for a full explanation. Your purchase isn't bad, as long as you know what you won't be getting, but your HardOCP reading (along with some sites without any redeeming qualities to their reviews, I'd guess) left you significantly misinformed about its comparison to the 9700 and higher. This is something you should address before planning other purchases, and before wondering why some new games might perform better on hardware you believe to be inferior to your purchase.

Price/Performance wise it is split but nonetheless i thought a chipset determined what class it was in (Only in Video Cards now that i think about it)
I do take back my previous statement. The 5900 may have more feature but the 9700 pro was a previous highest end card therefore it edges out a bit.

"More features"? It sounds like you're literally believing some marketing material, and its unvarnished regurgitation by some reviewers. It has different features, that are generally less suited for delivering advanced gaming effects and equivalent image quality because of the issues that go with them. You can search on "rthdribl" here for discussion of some of this, including how some of the issue is a lack of features sufficient for API exposure (and might be fixed) and how significant the performance difference between them in some workloads are (which cannot be fixed). AFAIK, [H] would at least have informed you about the differences in "gamma-corrected AA" versus nVidia's AA modes, and "AF" comparisons, though you don't seem to understand their relationship in the performance picture and how "trilinear filtering" might have skewed your perceptions.

This isn't because one or both were previously highest end cards (the 9700 Pro is most of a year older than the 5900), but because of what the hardware delivers.

Your mistake seems to have been in your expectations and trust of 3d technology hardware reviews in general. Thanks to nVidia departing from underdelivery with the 5900SE/XT re-pricing, you at least weren't left with a bad deal due to their misrepresentation of their cards, via the absence of accuracy by many reviewers. If you weren't so confused about why it was a good deal and about how it compares to other hardware, it would be a limited triumph of [H]'s (current) approach (in comparison to some reviewers) to catering to readers without technical knowledge...it's just that your understanding of the other choices you could have made seems inaccurate.

The way I look at the cooling on this monster is, it would be more of a 3 slot card than a 2 slot. Physically it’s taking at least 2 slots, then you need another slot for it to draw enough air into the blower to actually do the cooling. If you put a card in that 3rd slot, you reduce the amount of cool air required. Efficiency is reduced dramatically on blowers (even small ones) when they suffocate, then again I don’t have a clue as to the cfm draw on this thing, which could work fairly well if it has a high cfm rating (noise included).

One big problem in this design has been clearly voiced. Extra heat in the case is going to be a factor no question about it. Looking at this thing, they are offsetting the heat of the card to the users case thus requiring more ventilation, that means another fan to compensate. If you run a noisy system like mine it’s not really an issue (2X80mm in and 3X80mm out) but if you want a quit system your going to live with the noise of the cards blower and at least 1 more fan to vent out.

I think Nvidia could have put a little more effort into their cooling design.

Re: Does 2-3 slot size even matter?

Sanctusx2 said:
Someone explain to me why it matters if this is a two slot cooling solution or not? A lot of people seem to point it out with the implication of being critical. Not sure if it's just me or what, but both my current p4p800 and my previous Abit BH6 motherboard have quite a lot of breathing room between the AGP graphics card and the first PCI card. My 5900xt right now sports a zalman heatpipe(which isn't small by any standards) with a healthy gap remaining between the huge heatsink and my Audigy2. It could be twice as large and still fit comfortably.
Good question. Ceteris paribus it's not an issue excepting SFF considerations. However, with the upcomming i9x5 ATX LGA775 boards, most AIBs place the PCIEx1 slots next to the PCIEx16/AGP slot. Given the usual layout of PCIEx16/AGP, 3 PCIEx1, & 3 PCI slot configs, the use of one valuable PCIEx1 slot may be precluded. This won't be a problem with BTX motherboard/case layout.

It matters because it's an ineffecient two-slot solution. If you're going to use the second slot, you could at least push the air out of the case, otherwise you're taking two slots, need to leave the third free, AND you're heating the whole case.... hardly the ideal method. Cards simply cannot go this way, other computer components will not cope.

Remember, those dual slot designs are only the engineering sample designs, and NOT the final retail pitched by Nvidia. Some companies will appennd to the official single slot reference design...

Pictured Here...

And some will append to the dual slot engineering sample design...

Like ASUS Pictured Here...

So no need to worry... The dual slot, metalic design was only an engineering sample, supplied much earlier... however, most of the the reviewers seem to be basing their reviews on it. With any luck, a lot of companies will follow the single slot concept which appears to be the official 'final' design from nvidia. Such as INNO3D's version HERE.

Cheers,

-Cub. =o)

Cubase said:
Remember, those dual slot designs are only the engineering sample designs, and NOT the final retail pitched by Nvidia. Some companies will appennd to the official single slot reference design...

Pictured Here...

And some will append to the dual slot engineering sample design...

Like ASUS Pictured Here...

So no need to worry... The dual slot, metalic design was only an engineering sample, supplied much earlier... however, most of the the reviewers seem to be basing their reviews on it. With any luck, a lot of companies will follow the single slot concept which appears to be the official 'final' design from nvidia. Such as INNO3D's version HERE.

Cheers,

-Cub. =o)

The dual slot metal cooler is the offical reference design... I challenge you to find anyting published from NVIDIA that challenges that assertion. Not to say that OEM's will not have the opportunity to replace the cooler with a single slot version or a water cooling setup if they can.

The pictures of the single slot cooler were for a 6800 non ultra

P.S. that ASUS picture was a fake there is no way those capictors would fit on the front of the card. AGain unless you can show me a link that has those pictures on an ASUS website.

Stryyder
heres your proof

http://vr-zone.com/?i=681&s=1

as you can see 1 and 2 slot designs for the 6800 ultra 6800
ASUS's is 1 slot. seen at

http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=14997

asus1.jpg

asus3.jpg

looks 1 slot to me buddy ;)

now do you beleive a 6800 ultra that is one slot? ;)

Stryyder said:
The pictures of the single slot cooler were for a 6800 non ultra.

Look closely - the non-ultra has an entirely different layout in the voltage regulation area. If you can dig up the MaximPC (or whatever, can't remember the name of the mag ) scans from a few days before - THAT'S what a non-ultra looks like.

Bad_Boy said:
Stryyder
heres your proof

http://vr-zone.com/?i=681&s=1

as you can see 1 and 2 slot designs for the 6800 ultra 6800
ASUS's is 1 slot. seen at

http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=14997

asus1.jpg

asus3.jpg

looks 1 slot to me buddy ;)

now do you beleive a 6800 ultra that is one slot? ;)

Unless you have a better off angle shot off the cooler vs the card I really can't tell that its a single slot card, as it looks alot like the two slot reference design as it has the same screw pattern and material.

Let me check your link as there might be more pictures

Bad_Boy,

Perhaps you could find a shot where you could perceive more than 2 dimensions. I have yet to see a view from the backplate where the 6800U doesn't appear to take at least 2 slots. The angle on the Asus picture certainly doesnt show whether it will block a 2nd slot. For all I know it could be 5 slots or as thin as a sheet of paper.

Edit
At gzeasy, the bottom shot it certainly looks like it will take 2 slots, that thickness is not far off of the reference cooler.

AlphaWolf said:
Bad_Boy,

Perhaps you could find a shot where you could perceive more than 2 dimensions. I have yet to see a view from the backplate where the 6800U doesn't appear to take at least 2 slots. The angle on the Asus picture certainly doesnt show whether it will block a 2nd slot. For all I know it could be 5 slots or as thin as a sheet of paper.

Edit
At gzeasy, the bottom shot it certainly looks like it will take 2 slots, that thickness is not far off of the reference cooler.

anyway its irrelevent as my point was that the REFERENCE card was a two slot design which none of those pictures disprove. OEM's if they can will probably design a single slot 6800Ultra of that I am certain, whether it will be hotter and louder than the reference is the question.

Bad_Boy said:
ok guys, if you dont beleive me that there is a 1 slot 6800 ultra just go here
http://vr-zone.com/?i=681&s=1 as i directed twice already.

you can see PLENTY of 6800 ultra's at many angles displaying the 1 slot design.

Pick one that you think does so the best and post it here then we can discuss it as the majority seem to have the reference two slot design or seem to be 6800 non ultra's or at least we can argue they seem to be 6800 non ultras based on what we know which is based on all of the previews we saw yesterday.

Back