close look of NV40

Cubase said:
Hey, that whole NV sucker punch is outta our league to try and speculate upon at this stage I agree.

And I hear you in regards to your reference design comment, but if you could answer me this... Why would nvidia place a single slot design example on their own presentation slides if they were not using that design as a reference for others to produce examples or designs of? And if your answer leads to that sucker punch theory, once again, maybe so, maybe not.

But I too am a man of proof and fact, so as long as it is my job to ensure you get the raw facts, it is also your job to prove me wrong. All you are doing is denying my evidence without showing my any of your own.

-Cub.

My guess is that it might have been their first attempt and they didn't like the heat or noise and because of dustbuster issues in the past went with the bigger/uglier cooler and PR kept the original images as they were consistant with the presentation and image (and look a hell of a lot better). If you notice really none of those slides show the card off angle.

Personally I think the two slot cooler as a very last minute not perfect look about it which would be consistent with my theory, but hell I could be dead wrong about everything I have said in this thread.

Like I added to my last post,

goto: http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=443&82853. That has multiple orthogonal angles (the realible ones) of the card. Also, read the last couple of sentaces in the paragraph below the pics...

Starts with: "And finally, the 6800 and 6800 Ultra appear to be single-slot solutions..."

Hell man, I could be just as wrong too, but hey, beats the hell out of the boring atmosphere of a discussion community ever-so agreeing with one another lol :LOL: What kind of discussion is that!

-Cub. =o)

Cubase said:
Like I added to my last post,

goto: http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=443&82853. That has multiple orthogonal angles (the realible ones) of the card. Also, read the last couple of sentaces in the paragraph below the pics...

Starts with: "And finally, the 6800 and 6800 Ultra appear to be single-slot solutions..."

Hell man, I could be just as wrong too, but hey, beats the hell out of the boring atmosphere of a discussion community ever-so agreeing with one another lol :LOL: What kind of discussion is that!

-Cub. =o)

Addition to that article:

Edit: Well, I was wrong. The pics fooled me I guess. After looking at this page of [H]'s coverage, I realized that at least the Ultra is not a single-slot card. It indeed does take up two slots due to the large heatsink/fan unit. Sorry for the confusion.

Back