Clone hdd software

For migration cloning I suggest Driveimage XML. Free and functional. (For deployment or backup purposes there are better options.)

I am trying this one first. I looked over them and it seemed easier, and more fool proof. We will see though. It is sketchy feeling when you start just trusting the program isn't lying when it says Disk1#1 is where it will write the data. I mean if it just over wrote your primary partition or something it would be quite the harsh penalty for the user.

Well the cloning worked fine, but getting windows to boot has been impossible so far.

I have a bunch of XP install CDs from different eras.

Those with SP2 installed don't offer the repair option for some reason. (I burned some with the SATA drivers slipstreamed others were the original pressed CD from MS).

If I use a basic XP pro cd with nothing and a floppy with SATA I get the option to repair. I did it with no recovery console and it would not boot.

Then I retried it again with the most current SATA drivers in case that was the problem. Still doesn't want to boot, and now says windows already tried to upgrade this, do you want to do a clean install.

There may be something I can do in the recovery console if I knew how to use it. I will piddle a bit more, but probably just give up in the end and do a clean install...

The easiest thing to overlook when cloning a boot disk with Driveimage XML (if that's what you tried) is that the newly cloned to partition has to be set as active in disk management (I think you might be able to use fdisk and and a boot disk or other partitioning software as well) before the drive will be seen as a bootable device at startup. BTDT, even if I knew it had to be done.

The easiest thing to overlook when cloning a boot disk with Driveimage XML (if that's what you tried) is that the newly cloned to partition has to be set as active in disk management (I think you might be able to use fdisk and and a boot disk or other partitioning software as well) before the drive will be seen as a bootable device at startup. BTDT, even if I knew it had to be done.

XXclone has this function too. I sucessfully copied a SATA drive to an EIDE hdd.

I already just gave up on this, but I think I figured out the problem previously.

When I cloned it on my desktop the desktop assigns a drive letter to the disk as it is created.

This is recorded in the master boot record, though not as a specific number, but it doesn't match the value associated with the windows installation so it will not boot.

I tried recovery console with the fixmbr and fixboot commands, but in winXP the fixmbr command will not overwrite the previously assigned letter. the fix/mbr command in win 98 will overwrite it, but win98 could not recognize the SATA drive anyway.

After all this I realized I was wasting far more time than just installing windows from a freshly formatted disk. (Installing windows over would still not work b/c the mbr was screwy still somehow).

Anyway those were my adventures, and that also explains why the repair windows option did not work, which was what I originally thought would do the trick. There is a way to set it up in advance, or do it with a bootcd outside of windows that will work, but by the time I figured that out I did not want to spend more time.

Back