Civilization Revolution*

With one exception I know of, that the top upgrade level for ships is the Cruiser. You can't turn your lowly Galley into a sea-owning Battleship!

ya that's actually quite annoying if you play one of the naval power races. England with a battleship fleet offshore is quite annoying. Although that's another way that a warrior army can kick some butt (veteran battleship fleet supporting with 100%), I'm going to have to try that.

I'd rather get to offense quicker to prevent that than trying to tech around someone else's potential upgrade path. You're may have to deal with walls whether you get masonry first or not, all you've removed is 1.
Wall is very expensive, if they build wall on their own, they surely lack something else.
Leonardo's workshop upgrades all of your units to the most current type you have.
I thought it was just regular upgrade, but still not very useful for me (I don't even produce defensive units until last second).

Warriors become tanks, archers become rifleman or modern infantry, catapults become cannons or artillery. Getting a general is a crap shoot basically you have to win an even fight with a veteran unit, I'd rather take that shot with a warrior army that cost you 30p, than a tank army that cost hundreds.
I don't know why you would do that. You need to keep your useless army until you have tank tech (combustion?). If you have a builder you can double your highest trade or culture generating output, culture or even whole civilization's by up to 50%. That's certainly more valuable than a couple of tank armies.
Also keep in mind that if you managed to get 2 units upgraded to elite (blitz, march, infiltration etc and then join them in the same army their special abilities all remain for the whole army. There's no doubt a warrior army isn't going to crack through archers defending a capital or anything, but an upgraded warrior army standing on a hill is great for picking off passing singles or even legion armies.
In order to do what you are saying (combine elite specialities) each warrior unit needs to advance in it's own, which is even more difficult than upgrading army.
I don't find masonry particularly more valuable as a tech, but it really depends on how you're aiming to win.
I agree masonry is useless by itself if you don't need it for math or construction.
There's a number of strategies which work just fine winning on any difficulty. You can actually be entirely passive/defensive, and just build up culture and take your enemy cities that way.

No offense but I don't believe that the strategies are well balanced in the game.
While culture is very useful (and city conversion is another nice trick for democracy or if you stuck with a peace agreement), tech is the most important thing by far, despite science victory being the most difficult (only because it takes more time). You get all the freebies (bonuses, buildings, great people, etc), you get efficiency increasers, you get military advantage, and "renewable" trade for gold and Atlantis.
I don't see how anyone can beat the game on Deity by a culture heavy strategy from start to finish. Science effectively buys culture, population, money.

Wall is very expensive, if they build wall on their own, they surely lack something else.

Just like you lack something else for having built masonry first.

I thought it was just regular upgrade, but still not very useful for me (I don't even produce defensive units until last second).
It's certainly not going to benefit someone who isn't building military. The point is you're suggesting warriors are wasted, they are not if you know how to use them and plan their future.

I don't know why you would do that. You need to keep your useless army until you have tank tech (combustion?). If you have a builder you can double your highest trade or culture generating output, culture or even whole civilization's by up to 50%. That's certainly more valuable than a couple of tank armies.

The army is not useless. No unit is. You can even make good use of a militia for blockading friendly expansion. If you don't have any units ya its not a very good wonder to build, but to someone who has 3 or 4 warrior armies on the map, its huge.

In order to do what you are saying (combine elite specialities) each warrior unit needs to advance in it's own, which is even more difficult than upgrading army.

No it isn't. 1 warrior can take a barbarian village, it might take him 3 or 4 turns, but he'll be upgraded after. 1 even up fight will also upgrade a single unit.

I agree masonry is useless by itself if you don't need it for math or construction.
Eventually you're going to get everything, the discussion is where you go first. Each tech has its own benefit, some are better than others depending on your strategy.

No offense but I don't believe that the strategies are well balanced in the game.
While culture is very useful (and city conversion is another nice trick for democracy or if you stuck with a peace agreement), tech is the most important thing by far, despite science victory being the most difficult (only because it takes more time). You get all the freebies (bonuses, buildings, great people, etc), you get efficiency increasers, you get military advantage, and "renewable" trade for gold and Atlantis.
I don't see how anyone can beat the game on Deity by a culture heavy strategy from start to finish. Science effectively buys culture, population, money.

Obviously you need to research to forward your culture, but you can target upgrades and wonders that benefit culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like you lack something else for having built masonry first.
You need masonry anyway if you are going for other techs. If you think that's same as building a wall (what +100 production), be my guest.

It's certainly not going to benefit someone who isn't building military. The point is you're suggesting warriors are wasted, they are not if you know how to use them and plan their future.
I'm suggesting they are useless for me because at that future (say combustion era) it's pretty easy to produce (likely an elite) tank army.
The army is not useless. No unit is. You can even make good use of a militia for blockading friendly expansion. If you don't have any units ya its not a very good wonder to build, but to someone who has 3 or 4 warrior armies on the map, its huge.
I can see the use if you have many armies already, since I don't see the point of having that many "weak" armies early in the game that's not useful for me at all.
And for the record militia are great. They are free, can be used to explore islands and stuff, or even keep an eye on other civs.
No it isn't. 1 warrior can take a barbarian village, it might take him 3 or 4 turns, but he'll be upgraded after. 1 even up fight will also upgrade a single unit.
3 victories to get upgraded to veteran, 3 for elite. Isn't that 3(or 2) villages per unit (9 total) you hope enemy won't take out before you do. Good luck. If you build barracks before the army and do that with only 5 villages, another congrats to you.
While I'm not sure, using the first unit to get multiple specialties using barbarian villages may even be easier.
Eventually you're going to get everything, the discussion is where you go first. Each tech has its own benefit, some are better than others depending on your strategy.
Let's say depending on your needs, instead of strategy.

My usual tactic is mass expansion early on + heavy tech investing (up to 90%). If any civs are close, i will try to get them as soon as i have military advantage. (usually once i get a superior unit, or when i have created a big enough army to take the entire civ. I prefer conquest, but i make a lot of settlers aswell, (i wait until the city is atleast 2-3 then start making atleast one settler depending on growth). You can usually keep peace by gifts and what not long enough for the cities to get their own defences (early on i often run around with lone settlers building cities \ exploring. )

Unlike shifty, i will take any city that has decent resources, big or small. Later on your production output will be amazing (make sure to get versailles and take use of the forbidden palace). The cities will eventually grow big, and since your investing deep in tech, you will get a head start on all the wonders that you like. Its also very nice to be a ble to build an army of 20+ modern tank units within 5-6 turns.

I usually only build armies when needed, (when i decide to attack or get attacked). So my army eventually is very small in size, as the other civs keep building military all the time, but since im ahead in tech, and my civ by now has a huge production, i can easily amass the a decently sized army (enough to repell any attack and enough to make big invations) in a matter of few turns.

On the PC, you also get the advantage of being able to make (depending on amounts of cities ) 10-20 nukes within 10-15 turns of the wonder, before anybody starts with no a-bombs policies. After you dont have to bother with making military until you want to attack somebody. I rarely get declared war upon after having a nuke arsenal, and if they do attack, launching 10-20 nukes (one per city) usually makes it an easy capitalization. If not, you should be able to repell for a while, and the AI's civ is completely incapacitated production wise, so the army will eventually dry up anyway.

I understand that you cant do this on the console version, but i still feel that just creating armies on a as needed basis is the best. You keep maintance costs low, and you can concentrate your production on important city improvements, which again leads to wealth, more production and more science.

The strategy doesn't work (or gets very hard) if people continously attack you, (aspecially if they attack you from multiple angles, aspecially early on without railroads).

But i do feel that end game, lots of cities>>> few cities, because as long as your ahead in tech, once you get factories + railroads, you can creat huge armies quickly, thus saving you alot of resources, and having better improvements etc than if youd keep building armies. Even before you get factories, once your cities get productive enough, if you have superior tech, you can quickly build armies that can crush anything.

I understand that you cant do this on the console version, but i still feel that just creating armies on a as needed basis is the best. You keep maintance costs low, and you can concentrate your production on important city improvements, which again leads to wealth, more production and more science.
That's how I do things as well, if it wasn't clear until this point (though there is no maintenance cost)
The strategy doesn't work (or gets very hard) if people continously attack you, (aspecially if they attack you from multiple angles, aspecially early on without railroads).
On Civ Rev you can build roads anytime you want (as long as you have money and generally you do). Better yet you can build two roads to connect 4 cities perfectly (that is each city is only a step away from each other). That's why in the game it doesn't make much sense to build even the defensive units before you need them. You are probably building something in your cities, and you can switch to combative units whenever you need to without loosing production (or rush), and 1 or 2 step connectivity means you can build that defensive army in only one turn.
But i do feel that end game, lots of cities>>> few cities, because as long as your ahead in tech,
While I agree with this totally, the problem is that gameplay becomes tedius if you have so many cities and units to attend to.

You need masonry anyway if you are going for other techs. If you think that's same as building a wall (what +100 production), be my guest.
All of the tech nodes provide a benefit for achieving them first, not just masonry. For instance if you are mongols and you build a lot of crappy little cities, getting irrigation first (+1 pop all cities) can be huge because it might double the population of your empire.

I'm suggesting they are useless for me because at that future (say combustion era) it's pretty easy to produce (likely an elite) tank army.
I can see the use if you have many armies already, since I don't see the point of having that many "weak" armies early in the game that's not useful for me at all.
And for the record militia are great. They are free, can be used to explore islands and stuff, or even keep an eye on other civs.
3 victories to get upgraded to veteran, 3 for elite. Isn't that 3(or 2) villages per unit (9 total) you hope enemy won't take out before you do. Good luck. If you build barracks before the army and do that with only 5 villages, another congrats to you.
While I'm not sure, using the first unit to get multiple specialties using barbarian villages may even be easier.

Units also upgrade when they win against an even foe or better. That's a risk you can easily take with warriors. You will even get attacked on occasion. I can get to 4 or 5 barbarian villages in almost every game, its also quite likely you can defeat a few stragglers. Of course this becomes a lot harder if you refuse to build warriors. And while it might be easy to produce a tank army once you get combustion, with proper planning you can produce several tank armies on the turn you complete researching combustion, if have warrior armies ready to be upgraded. Just switch production of something to leonardo's and buy it out and you have instant tank armies already in position.

The warriors aren't as good once you have tanks, but they can help you get to tanks faster. And while a warrior army might be weak its still strong enough to win vs a lot of later units if you use them properly.

Let's say depending on your needs, instead of strategy.

Strategy was the word I wanted. I'm sticking with it.

<edit> and I just took a capital city defended by riflemen armies with a warrior army, using the english and battleship fleet support. :D

All of the tech nodes provide a benefit for achieving them first, not just masonry. For instance if you are mongols and you build a lot of crappy little cities, getting irrigation first (+1 pop all cities) can be huge because it might double the population of your empire.
I said if you need masonry prerequisite tech early. Certainly is not comparable to cost of building a wall.
Units also upgrade when they win against an even foe or better. That's a risk you can easily take with warriors. You will even get attacked on occasion. I can get to 4 or 5 barbarian villages in almost every game, its also quite likely you can defeat a few stragglers. Of course this becomes a lot harder if you refuse to build warriors. And while it might be easy to produce a tank army once you get combustion, with proper planning you can produce several tank armies on the turn you complete researching combustion, if have warrior armies ready to be upgraded. Just switch production of something to leonardo's and buy it out and you have instant tank armies already in position.
The warriors aren't as good once you have tanks, but they can help you get to tanks faster. And while a warrior army might be weak its still strong enough to win vs a lot of later units if you use them properly.
That doesn't compute for me (at all), but if you say it's better, I respect your opinion. No need to drag this.
Warriors are not the most efficient way of using your precious resources.
It's not like you cannot win the game if you build a warrior army first.

<edit> and I just took a capital city defended by riflemen armies with a warrior army, using the english and battleship fleet support. :D
Yes, naval support is great. ;)

I said if you need masonry prerequisite tech early.
I never meant to suggest masonry is pointless and if you're aiming for catapults its essential, but I don't think getting there first or not is game breaking at all.
Certainly is not comparable to cost of building a wall.
Its potentially much better. The wall could end up giving you nothing by the end of the game. If you have 4 cities, irrigation will give you 4 population, just with normal forests you could build that wall with those 4 pop in 13 turns. Much faster if you have any building multipliers.

That doesn't compute for me (at all), but if you say it's better, I respect your opinion. No need to drag this.
Warriors are not the most efficient way of using your precious resources.
It's not like you cannot win the game if you build a warrior army first.
I think warriors pay for themselves through exploration and early conquest, but it's not the only strategy with merit.

Yes, naval support is great. ;)
With England its actually pretty insane how good it is, of course the map needs to be naval friendly. It's just funny seeing a single warrior stomp over a rifleman army.

That's how I do things as well, if it wasn't clear until this point (though there is no maintenance cost).

I know, i was agreeing :D

On Civ Rev you can build roads anytime you want (as long as you have money and generally you do).

Can you build as many roads you want at any time? What about irrigating land and such? Do you build workers at all? Not having to build roads (does it count for railroads aswell?) is awesome. Big advantage for building armies on a as needed basis.

My Deity victory with the Mongols was constantly behind the tech leader. I had none of the tech advantages, free items, or city upgrades. I won by accumulating loads of wealth towards an Economic victory, changing my plan as I wouldn't be able to get the final 5000 and build the Bank in time, buying the Space Race tech, and building the fastest possible spaceship after they had launched theirs already. It was quite exciting, and a more satisfying win. ;) Though a long game.

Unlike shifty, i will take any city that has decent resources, big or small.
Oh, I take them all. I just don't like them. Also I think things are very different in CivRev from what you're used to playing. There is no forbidden palace of Versailles. Those pokey little cities cspend all their resources on growing themselves and contribute hardly anything to the empire. Except culture to be fair, which is highly tied to population. But when you have a little city sparing 2 peeps to generate 4 research, versus an established city generating 30, there's not really a point to it. The only time it makes a difference is early on before you can build the libraries and universities and Wonders that make a city flourish. 4 towns all generating 4 research is pretty effective at fast technological progress early on.

I usually only build armies when needed, (when i decide to attack or get attacked). So my army eventually is very small in size, as the other civs keep building military all the time, but since im ahead in tech, and my civ by now has a huge production,
That goes without saying. A stuitably advanced army can rout attackers with overrun, so in a single turn the enemies forces can be decimated. There's no need whatsoever for a huge standing army.

I know, i was agreeing :D
Just wanted to be sure. :)

Can you build as many roads you want at any time?
Yes, for example in the middle of your turn, just before moving a fresh unit (If and only if you have the gold). You can also make gold in the middle of your turn (disposing units, selling tech or bullying others via diplomacy). IIRC diplomacy interactions were different on PC.

What about irrigating land and such?
I'm not sure about the question here. You can build road on top of any resource square without loosing anything.
But I guess you are asking about building. You cannot build irrigating land at all. If land is suitable (and close to the city), it's automatically irrigated when you have the tech.
Do you build workers at all?
No worker building. You get your production from production squares or excess population. Population normally determines how many squares you can use (max).

Not having to build roads (does it count for railroads aswell?) is awesome. Big advantage for building armies on a as needed basis.
Yes it is.
And I haven't seen any railroads (Does it have any additional advantages like skipping cities or connecting arbitrary squares?)
The railroad tech in Civ Rev let's you build iron mines (which makes a little more sense than machine gun I guess).

My Deity victory with the Mongols was constantly behind the tech leader. I had none of the tech advantages, free items, or city upgrades. I won by accumulating loads of wealth towards an Economic victory, changing my plan as I wouldn't be able to get the final 5000 and build the Bank in time, buying the Space Race tech, and building the fastest possible spaceship after they had launched theirs already. It was quite exciting, and a more satisfying win. ;) Though a long game.
I'm sure it was fun (I'm a little jealous)
I don't get last minute wins, so when I play my motivation is not winning, but winning early before it drags along.

I have never seen AI building space tech, nor accumulating decent amount of gold.
They may be aggressive in tech research early in the game but I generally expand and cut their resources so sooner or later I pass them.
I noticed that most of them goes for cultural victory (at least they mostly demand great people).
That's the only condition which my advisors bothered to warn me against. (11/20 vs my 9/20 :) )

When I noticed there are little icons next to difficulty select I saved before domination victory, reload same point to get other victories . It was pretty lame but that trick pretty much reflects my thoughts on save/load system and different victory conditions.

Roads in civ rev, are basically pc civ railroads. Roads in pc civ just increase the speed of units, railroads or civ rev roads allow you to move any distance along the line or from one city to another for one point of movement.

The railroad achievement in civ rev just opens up iron mines (production increase for mountains).

The ability to save whenever you like can certainly undermine the precognitive combat system should you want to exploit it.

I'm not sure what precognitive combat system is. If it refers to Oracle working properly or more to the point the fact that every battle's outcome is determined in the beginning of a turn, I'd say it makes save-anywhere abuse slightly more difficult (but not enough obviously).

Are you certain? I know Civ IV had safeguards against this.

Basically the game pre-generates the value for the next combat (even further in advance I think). So if you save before a major battle, you can restart at the same spot and you'll generate the same results every time, unless of course you shift to a different battle or attack with a different unit first. Your level of success with that attack will be similar with any unit you use, but you can waste a 'bad' result on an easy victory. Similarly you can make a good roll more advantageous by using a weaker unit. Civ 1, 2 and 3 all did this, dunno about 4.

It's different than restarting from a save to immediately get a new result for the same battle, but once you know what is happening its still easily exploitable.

Are you certain? I know Civ IV had safeguards against this.

No it didn't. All the battles are calculated before you attack, if you save, attack something and die. Load up, and attack with the unit, you will allways die.

However, if you load and attack with another unit, you may not die

I meant to write this ages ago! Anyone still struggling with the 200 manufacturing point trophy, play Beta Centuri with the Americans. You start with full tech and all subsequent research if Future Tech which improves productivity. Every third researched discovery adds 1 hammer to each hammer-producing tile. Use culture to get Great People, and use the scientists to immediately research the techs. Also find Atlantis ASAP.

With the Americans' factory at 3x production instead of 2x, you don't even need a mountain range to to get fabulous prodution. I had a few cities at >20 production. And I started with a Great Explorer that I used to get 400 gold. You can then buy units (at normal cost thanks to the other American ability!) and quickly subjugate your rivals. Very easy way to secure that Trophy, assuming it allows Scenarios to count.

Back