Civilization Revolution*

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
There's no way I'd have bought CivRev without a demo. Demo's open up your game to curious parties just looking for something to try, and if it's good, you'll bag yourself some extra sales. Not releasing a (well made and well thought out) demo is a very bad choice IMO.

Have you played the PC versions by any chance shitfy?

IF the game is anything like each new generation of Civ for PC, its a must buy for me :)

Last one a played was old. Civ 2 or 3 at the most. You can grab the demo to try it out though! The demo's a good length that gave enough to hook me and have me wanting more. Balancing is a bit wonky IMO as you can't really pursue one victory condition without achieving the others along the way, and you'll have had the chance to complete Cultural and Economic victories long before you ever get a chance to win a technological one, making that victory pretty pointless, other than setting oneself a challenge.

Also I don't appear on the leaderboard for Scenario of the week :(

Mmm, ought to move this to a Civ Rev thread.

Last one a played was old. Civ 2 or 3 at the most. You can grab the demo to try it out though! The demo's a good length that gave enough to hook me and have me wanting more. Balancing is a bit wonky IMO as you can't really pursue one victory condition without achieving the others along the way, and you'll have had the chance to complete Cultural and Economic victories long before you ever get a chance to win a technological one, making that victory pretty pointless, other than setting oneself a challenge.

Also I don't appear on the leaderboard for Scenario of the week :(

Mmm, ought to move this to a Civ Rev thread.

Can you tweak game settings to allow one victory condition but not the others, as in other Civ games? In the full game, I mean?

Can you tweak game settings to allow one victory condition but not the others, as in other Civ games? In the full game, I mean?
Not that I've found. The only options are sound adjustment. There are Scenarios with fixed victory conditions, and the devs have hinted at extra scenarios as downloads. Whether they're packs or not, I don't know.

@ Patsu : Controls are pretty straightforward, with two niggles. One is use of L1 to access cities, R1 to scroll to different cities, but R1 to bring up 'diplomacy' (ha ha ha!) outside of cities. It's easy to call up the wrong thing. The other issue is selecting units. Moving the camera with the right stick scans the map, with the left stick sets a target for a unit. It's quit easy to be moving with the left stick to want to place the cursor over a unit to select it, and instead set a differnt unit walking to there. This control is soon learnt though.

Another niggle is sending a unit to a place on the map, if an enemy appears in the way, the unit doesn't stop but redirects themself. eg. A cannon on a road with a movement of 1 tile/action per turn can move anywhere on a road as roads have 0 movement cost, but I had an occasion where I sent a cannon from one town to another and a silly little enemy unit was standing in the road. The cannon automatically moved off road, ending it's turn and leaving it vulnerable to attack as it has lousy defence. You generally don't want to set routes unless you're absolutely sure it's clear to do so.

Once you get around this awkwardnesses, the game is certainly fun, not too long, and I've played a lot of rounds!

One little snippet of tips. As you progress along the economic, technological and cultural routes to victory, you get bonuses. The economic bonuses aren't listed anywhere so I recorded them, so I know which targets are worth pursuing. eg. You may be after such-and-such buildings in your cities, and reaching a bank balance of so much gold might grant you that without having to build it. The list is here for anyone who wants to know.
100 gold : Get a unit of settlers. Probably the best way to get a new city when exploring is granting you lots of gold
250 gold : Learn the science of 'Currency'. Don't research currency if you're about to earn enough to grant the tech
500 : You get a Great Person*
1,000 : Granaries appear in every city. Probably a bit late to be any use though
2,000 : +1 Population in every city
5,000 : Aqueducts built in every city
10,000 : Another Great person*

*Of course these Great People count towards your Cultural Domination.

I've a USB graphics tablet+mouse, which by accounts are supported on PS3. I'll give it a go later.

Even Gamepad controls work fine. The micromanagement has been dumbed down quite a bit. I guess, to make the game suitable for game pad control.

There different ways to win the game, but if the demo is a fair indication you can't tweak them, i.e. all apply.

All in all, I found it surprisingly enjoyable (played without mouse). But then again, I am a Civ addict.

Even Gamepad controls work fine. The micromanagement has been dumbed down quite a bit. I guess, to make the game suitable for game pad control.
It's also for online. They want to keep games short, within a couple of hours. Turn times are limited and they don't want players to be bogged down with city management.

BTW To access custom management of resource tile usage around the city, you have to go through a list of options, but a press of the left stick (L3 on PS3) is a useful shortcut for the same.

Anyone knows if the game supports mouse input ?

Civ is a turn-based game so the gamepad is not a problem for this game, not like many RTS. ;)
My only regret is to not have the environmental parameter like in Civ Call of Power.

Oh, I tried the USB mouse but the PS3 didn't recognise it. It's an old Wacom Graphire. I guess it's only newer pads the PS3 recognises.

Okay, it sounds like they tailored the gameplay sufficiently for console. Will check it out when I'm in the office again.

Oh, I tried the USB mouse but the PS3 didn't recognise it. It's an old Wacom Graphire. I guess it's only newer pads the PS3 recognises.

I think just about no games support a mouse, except for unreal tournament. However, the PS3 does support most of them, in the XMB. I haven't had a mouse yet not function, though I actually also have a Wacom graphire and that one I haven't tested yhet. But it wouldn't surprise me if that one was an exception since it uses a very strange driver (partly because it's a tablet obviously, but that's not all of it) on the PC also.

Normally though, any old standard USB mouse should work fine. Same with the keyboards.

Civ works fine with the controller though, seems to be tailored for it very well. Though you have to get used to it a little when you want to select a unit that's not active at the moment (for instance because you put it on defense someplace). I finally took the time to play through the demo, and just barely won. Initially what is putting me off is that it is way too much like the original Civilisation. I played that game more than enough ages ago on the PC. But after a while you got the 'hero' units into play, and they are a bit of novelty fun. Also there are a few more options here and there and you can create armies in an interesting manner. I think all in all it's enough to make competitive play interesting.

Other than that I think it's just fine for new players or players who haven't been into Civilisation for a while. I think my wife might actually enjoy it, if she was patient enough to take the time to get into it (I doubt it ;) ). Above all, it's great that these kinds of games make it onto the consoles. There should definitely be more of them.

Personally, I would prefer a game like this with a little more ambition and scope, a bit more realtime and a bit more dynamic. But it is great that this game is here - I could easily present it to someone who is used to Catan for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and unlike the EoJ tutorial, I stayed awake for the whole thing! ;)

:LOL: That EoJ video tutorial is definitely potent. I fell asleep while watching it too. OTOH, *if* Civilization Revolution is as additive as the EoJ gameplay, then it's definitely worth the purchase.

As a big Civ IV fan, I must say this is the only demo I downloaded that I played over and over again.

But honestly, it's just for the nostalgia. Most Civ fan's I've found really get into the mathematics of the game, essentially breaking down victory conditions to mathematically formulas with uncertainty left only to starting position and battle out comes.

Revolutions is a fun game, but it's not nearly as 'deep' and as such, limits the amount of interaction and opportunities you can have.

As a Civ fan, I wouldn't recommend purchasing the game. I think you'll get your fill out of 'discovering' the different options to win in a rental's period. (Online experiences may vary, along with ESRB.)

Back