CES 2006 News & Announcements

Titanio said:
It's not a Sony specific thing, it's a standard involving many many companies. The official site is: http://www.dlna.org/home

Thanks, but what hooks up to your TV to allow it to play movies, music, or to view photos from your PC? Is this where the PS3 would come in as a Sony rep stated that it would be DLNA compliate and be that device to allow your TV to accept this media?

If so then is this basically what MS has with the Xbox 360 and MCE? Is it the same basic idea? If not what's different?

mckmas8808 said:
Thanks, but what hooks up to your TV to allow it to play movies, music, or to view photos from your PC?

You'd need a client, so to speak, a media renderer. Like a DLNA-compliant Blu-ray player or your PS3 if it's compliant, or whatever. Although, some TVs may start to come with ethernet ports or even wireless capability to let you access media without having something plugged into it, which would be cool.

mckmas8808 said:
If so then is this basically what MS has with the Xbox 360 and MCE? Is it the same basic idea? If not what's different?

As I understand it, we've had a thing called UPnP for a while now. Stands for Universal Plug and Play. It's a fairly PC-centric thing - it's about using your PC as the centre of your digital media, streaming media from your PC to your other UPnP devices. You have media servers - your PC - and media renderers - "clients" of your PC, so to speak. Then the DLNA came along, and their proposal is UPnP for AV - which aims to reduce the configuration requirements of UPnP, and move control away from just the media servers to do the same thing. Your HDD/Blu-ray recorder could be a server. Your PSP could be a server. Your PS3 could be a server.

The idea is like MCE - which is a UPnP server, btw - but it's broader than just sharing media with a PC, and it's completely open. The PC is still a part of the puzzle, but you can also share media from other devices, and it's not so central anymore.

One dreamy scenario with PS3 could be - accessing your own music to play during a game, but not only do you see music stored locally on PS3, but also the music on your PC, your PSP, your cellphone even, and it's all presented as one collection to play on your PS3. That's assuming all these things are DLNA compliant, of course.

Shifty Geezer said:
Are you talking about this? http://products.sel.sony.com/locationfreetv/flash.html
(I say not having read any of the links or stuff thus far :oops: )

No. As far as I can tell, this isn't DLNA compliant. But the functionality is similar - except it's not just between 3 devices as apparently the case here, but any DLNA-compliant devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks Titanio. I hope that Sony rep knows what he's talking about. It so that would be a pretty decent addition to the PS3 (being that I don't see the PS3 having MCE capabilities :cry:). At least it could have this feature.

london-boy said:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6866449&&#post6866449

So basically, all this talk about HDDVD coming out before Bluray and all that, and all we have from Toshiba is a mock-up player, while Bluray is just going on doing their thing, with proper hardware and demos shown, running fine...
It's been noted in another thread there and confirmed by several people that that picture above is not what was demo'd and in fact the majority, if not all, Blu-ray demos were running off something other than a Blu-ray disc (such as the hard drive of a PC). Apparently even the PS3 Blu-ray demo (with the cable running from the TV into a wall) wasn't literally running on a PS3 (I had assumed a dev kit); apparently it was only a demonstration of what you should expect from the PS3.

(This information is taken from word of mouth of conference attendees and can be found over at the AVSForum threads. Note that some of those mouths are connected to people who are not so "un-biased", as it were, but given that there were multiple confirmations of some details I'm inclined to believe them...)

.Sis

Sis said:
It's been noted in another thread there and confirmed by several people that that picture above is not what was demo'd and in fact the majority, if not all, Blu-ray demos were running off something other than a Blu-ray disc (such as the hard drive of a PC). Apparently even the PS3 Blu-ray demo (with the cable running from the TV into a wall) wasn't literally running on a PS3 (I had assumed a dev kit); apparently it was only a demonstration of what you should expect from the PS3.

(This information is taken from word of mouth of conference attendees and can be found over at the AVSForum threads. Note that some of those mouths are connected to people who are not so "un-biased", as it were, but given that there were multiple confirmations of some details I'm inclined to believe them...)

.Sis

I think the only working player was Panasonic's.

Anyway all the info is from Amir so people are a little reluctant to believe given his employer and past history.

There's so much spinning going on from both sides that it's difficult to get a clear picture.

avaya said:
I think the only working player was Panasonic's.

Anyway all the info is from Amir so people are a little reluctant to believe given his employer and past history.

There's so much spinning going on from both sides that it's difficult to get a clear picture.
It wasn't just Amir who confirmed the lack of real demos. I don't have the post, but someone else at the show asked about the PS3 demo and was told it was representative of what the PS3's Blu-ray capability would be.

Sis said:
It wasn't just Amir who confirmed the lack of real demos. I don't have the post, but someone else at the show asked about the PS3 demo and was told it was representative of what the PS3's Blu-ray capability would be.

Oh yeah, the PS3 demo was probably fake/mock-up I was talking about the other players though.

The guy who said the PS3 demo was fake later said he talked to someone else who told him it actually was running off of some kind of PS3-esque hardware, something along the lines of one of the Cell development workstations.

creon100 said:
The guy who said the PS3 demo was fake later said he talked to someone else who told him it actually was running off of some kind of PS3-esque hardware, something along the lines of one of the Cell development workstations.

Okay so now I'm confused?:???:

creon100 said:
That's what I assumed it would have been running on. I must have missed his follow-up clarification.

We need an AVSForum HD Disc Format Wars Digest. Any editors volunteer? :D

Neither seem to be ready for prime time and all the manufacturers are going to try and give us the impression that their format is "more imminent" than the other. Until one is actually released to the consumer, all the speculation is pretty pointless.

I didn't realize that Nvidia has put their GPU inside the Sony Vaio type X Living box.

In addition, http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?h...ch?q=Sony+Vaio+DNLA&num=20&hl=en&lr=&safe=offthe NVIDIA announced the same company GPU " GeForce 6200 " was adopted on the 6th, in the SONY " VAIO type X Living ". You say " GeForce 6200 " from the PC image of HD resolution loads output enable " PureVideo " technology, can do the playback of H.264/Windows Media 9 and the like by little CPU load

Pic
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20051004/sony2_01.jpg

Link

london-boy said:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6866449&&#post6866449

So basically, all this talk about HDDVD coming out before Bluray and all that, and all we have from Toshiba is a mock-up player, while Bluray is just going on doing their thing, with proper hardware and demos shown, running fine...

You might want to read on a little more. It was a single mock up box and they didn't pretend that it was anything else. They had live working models all over the place. Then again, apparently the BRD is so advanced, it still can play with pause and the eject button pushed and used some new fangled wireless interface for all the mission connections on the upside down backplate.

There was a lot of BS going on at CES from both camps, but it appears that the Sony camp was beyond the pale. Loved the "PS3 BR playback demo" that wasn't hooked up to a PS3 or even a PS3 dev kit, apparently.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Sis said:

Same guy who posted the mock-up of the Toshiba player, IIRC.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

I just finished watching the Stringer keynote and the new footage of The Getaway PS3 engine is amazing. I forgot how gorgeous that looked.
I was kinda disappointed that the GT:V, F1 and Warhawk clips were mostly the old clips, but there was some new footage spliced in...

The keynote itself was pretty average, not much on games and Stringer didn't seem quite at ease.

The W810 phone was awesome as well. Finally a quality phone+mp3 player+camera.

Oh and I hadn't noted EA was a supporting company of Blu-ray. Niiiice. Heres hoping their games actually take advantage of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertR1 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28855

If this is true, I don't care who wins the "HD War."

Samsung is the same company that cannot even sell a dual standard DVD recorder (firmly in the DVD-R camp), and they are talking up a dual standard HD player. Yeah right.

If they do produce one, paying royalties to both sides is going to make the player very expensive.

Edge said:
Samsung is the same company that cannot even sell a dual standard DVD recorder (firmly in the DVD-R camp), and they are talking up a dual standard HD player. Yeah right.

If they do produce one, paying royalties to both sides is going to make the player very expensive.

How much do you think the royalties for HD-DVD would add to the cost? I'd be surprised if it were really significant when you take into account $1000+ standalone BR pricing at this point.

Back