Comcast Game Console?

I don't think a Comcast console is viable. They only have around 20-25M video subscribers and regional coverage. I bet only a fraction of that customer base would be interested so I think getting quality developer content would be an issue for them. I going that if they do end up with a "console" if will Ouya level of quality in terms of hardware and content.

VitaTV!

Roku style boxes are really the way forward for cable though, they could use them to get the cost down and bundle internet and an IP cable service which would appeal to many people.

I can't see any of the cable companies putting out a DVR that is as robust as what Direct TV or Dish offers and the reality is the cost of cable or satellite boxes for that matter really doesn't make much sense either. A cheap 50 to 100 box what uses LAN or wireless to transmit an HD signal to your TV bundled with a decent on demand video library as well as internet access would be a way for them to keep subscribers - investing in a gaming platform is waste of money. Add in an VOIP phone line for 10 bucks a month and consumers would be very happy.

My money is on an ARM design running on a heavily modified Android OS with Google play store.
2015 means it will be on 14/16nm so it will be beefy compared to the current high end ARM chips.

If you really think about it, PS4/XB1 (XB1, more so), have all the needed hardware and features for providing a DVR cable box experience - the only thing that's missing is Sony/MS fully owned cable services. I think as more of these companies Apple/Google/Sony/MS are starting to provide more avenues on watching IP based TV programs, especially live programs... I would think cable providers like Comcast would be worried about loosing a major portion of their business sales. And "IF" this does happen, you can expect broadband internet services cost to go up - on offsetting cable service revenue losses.

I was hoping that I was going to be able to use the X1 as secondary Uverse receiver. That was possible with the 360, although AT&T stopped supporting it recently. There's no reason the X1 couldn't handle that. Uverse is already all IP TV based.

I can't see any of the cable companies putting out a DVR that is as robust as what Direct TV or Dish offers and the reality is the cost of cable or satellite boxes for that matter really doesn't make much sense either.

I agree, the cost of maintenance for these devices must be huge so I can see all companies moving to a cloud based DVR system. Although as a consumer I kind of dread that if it's anything like VOD on Uverse where for certain networks (like FOX) they don't let you fast-forward through commercials.

Back