Carmack's Hands On Impressions of Xbox 360 & PS3

And why is that PSman.;)

In all honesty, why take it with salt? Their are certain handicaps in the PS3(or should I say advantages in the 360:p ) that plain jane make the 360 the better console to devlop on from a "ease of use" standpoint. Everyone will argue which cosole is better to get the most out of it from a "best graphics standpoint" untill their blue in the face but that is not my point.

Mr. Carmack have no real knowledge of the PS3 power, he doesn't have what it take to develop for the PS3. There are tons of talented developers out there, Carmack doesn't seem to be one of them. All I hear is constant whinning from him about the PS3. What good game have mr. Carmack develop anyway? DOOM 3 is basically a nice looking game with average gameplay. Just IMHO:smile:

Forgives me if my tone sound harsh, but critical I am of him, for lack of ambitious and forward thinking is one of mankind greatest fault. Progression mr. Carmack must make if he wish to further advance his abilitites. Ah, what terrible sight it is to see such great potential gone to waste.:smile:

Mr. Carmack have no real knowledge of the PS3 power, he doesn't have what it take to develop for the PS3. There are tons of talented developers out there, Carmack doesn't seem to be one of them. All I hear is constant whinning from him about the PS3. What good game have mr. Carmack develop anyway? DOOM 3 is basically a nice looking game with average gameplay. Just IMHO:smile:

Forgives me if my tone sound harsh, but critical I am of him, for lack of ambitious and forward thinking is one of mankind greatest fault. Progression mr. Carmack must make if he wish to further advance his abilitites. Ah, what terrible sight it is to see such great potential gone to waste.:smile:

Bolding mine. And to that, I say wow. Are you serious PSMan? Is this post a joke? I can only assume that it really is.

But, man cannot be happy through life if all he does is listen to jokes that aren't funny. Man must seek out funny jokes, and avoid those that are not. For seeking funny is ultimately a part of seeking one's SELF... Therefore, to an end the reading of the unfunny shall come.

Unfortunately, it's not hard to believe that Carmack is getting blasted for the comments he makes.... AGAIN. And the people who blast him for it don't even disagree in the first place! They just don't like the way he states it. Carmack says that multicore is the unfortunately inferior but ultimately only practical road to travel down, AND THEY'RE DOING SO, yet it's taken to mean that he's incompetent and can't get with the program. Jesus Christ, why can't that retarded, moronic, inane **** be taken to the kinds of forums where it belongs? Why it's allowed to come up in every thread about Carmack...

Was the Doom3 engine and therefor his work really that exceptional? It just seems to me that he made choices that emphasized certain things,but it came at the sacrifice of others. Nice dynamically lit spaces with shiny surfaces,but at the expense of size and detail to put it very simply. Maybe I'm not getting it or how hard it might have been to make the Doom3 engine but it just seems it would have been exceptional if he had added what the Doom3 engine brought to graphics,without all the sacrifices.

Lol, you always entertain PSman, thats why I love to read your posts (although these types of comments are better suited for other umm "lower" forums) but I don't think you are in any position to tell Carmack doesn't have knowledge about the PS3 hardware. Especially since you are no dev yourself my friend!

Let's say he would have praised the PS3 instead, would you admire him then and say he knew his stuff? ;)

Carmack is saying what many other devs have been saying for years now, I could be wrong but I remember him a few years ago criticizing multicore CPUs without aknowledging the fact that superfast single core CPUs are not pratical anymore.

All I hear constant complain about the PS3 from him, I haven't heard other developers(who have the will and talent) blasting the PS3. All that is coming out of him is negative thought(when it come to the PS3), bias have blinded him, this is blocking him from the road to great potential.

I agree, never have I read or hear him say anything good about PS3 without
bringing it down right after:mad:

He sure is proud to strut 20 gig textures but does he give PS3 any credit for having Blu-ray.

Carmack is saying what many other devs have been saying for years now, I could be wrong but I remember him a few years ago criticizing multicore CPUs without aknowledging the fact that superfast single core CPUs are not pratical anymore.

This year he acknowledged it: he clearly said what he would like best (people could mistake it by saying "boooh, lazy... does not want to learn how to properly multi-thread things", but they would be wrong as I think he knows how to do things and he is very keen on learning and mastering new stuff whenever he has to... he certainly is not afraid of learning and self-teaching himself new concepts ... like rocket science hehe :)), but that such super fast single cores are not what is practical for the future.

Can't we all just agree that iD sucks at skin shaders, and everything still looks too plasticy and polybumped?

No, we can't. It looks a lot better then the sterile sharpness of UE3 games... And I kinda like it better then KZ's dark tones, too.

Carmack has stated many times that multi core is the future. He just says that he felt they could have waited another generation.

He sure is proud to strut 20 gig textures but does he give PS3 any credit for having Blu-ray.

he didn't praise bluray, but he did say that they didn't keep it on one disc because they have no brand loyalty, which to me is a clear hit at MS

I agree, never have I read or hear him say anything good about PS3 without
bringing it down right after:mad:

If he is serious about 2 DVD's then I doubt he considers disk space a problem. If he needs more space, then he just adds another disk. Personally, I don't mind much either as long as there are 5+ hours between disks.

Can we try to stay on topic? I have no interest in reading discussions about how much Carmack suck, (when he has creates some of the worlds most groundbraking (Carmack basically created the FPS genre) and best selling games), im interested in the engine, im interested in megatextures, a lot of things that are technology related.

If you want to have a flame fest about how much carmack suck, do it in console general. Or better yet, gamefaq's or neogaf.

No, we can't. It looks a lot better then the sterile sharpness of UE3 games... And I kinda like it better then KZ's dark tones, too.

I agree great 'Mad Max' feel to the graphics and detail. The textures art/detail 'uniqueness', geometry, good looking soft shadows and also the animations (characters body language) where things that stod out in the video presentation. :smile:

Can we try to stay on topic? I have no interest in reading discussions about how much Carmack suck, (when he has creates some of the worlds most groundbraking (Carmack basically created the FPS genre) and best selling games), im interested in the engine, im interested in megatextures, a lot of things that are technology related.

If you want to have a flame fest about how much carmack suck, do it in console general. Or better yet, gamefaq's or neogaf.

He put the FPS genre on the map, he did not create it.

And please tell me what have mr. Carmack done that is actually great?

For example: Doom

Technically it was quite a impressive game at that time, gameplay wise this game to this day is still holds up.

I agree great 'Mad Max' feel to the graphics and detail. The textures art/detail 'uniqueness', geometry, good looking soft shadows and also the animations (characters body language) where things that stod out in the video presentation. :smile:

I actually don't think it looks like Mad Max at all, that had far less variations in color.

What impresses me beyond the unique texture stuff (and I'm sooo curious about the implementation) is the post processing; there's a lot of color correction, depth of field blur, and even some other tricks, that are giving this engine the pre-rendered looks. Their shaders are also a lot better...

Technically it was quite a impressive game at that time, gameplay wise this game to this day is still holds up.

Guess where the term Deathmatch came from. Heh.

Then came Quake, with he, Michael Abrash, and crew making a Pentium 60 do things that were pretty damn incredible. Quake 2 with it various advancements (ooh colored lighting) was a massive hit. Then, if it hadn't been for UT, Quake 3 would've dominated the multiplayer FPS genre for just years and years! Yikes, PSman, are you a newborn!? I have incredible respect for the games Carmack and id Software have put out. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of great fun.

Doom 3 was a massive change of direction for them. They focused on a cinematic horror title. Whether people like what it became or not doesn't say that it was not innovative for them. They'd never tried to focus on a single player game like that before. And I still think the engine does what it does a lot better and more efficiently than even FEAR or Riddick, its only competition.

We'll see where they go with this new engine.

If he is serious about 2 DVD's then I doubt he considers disk space a problem. If he needs more space, then he just adds another disk. Personally, I don't mind much either as long as there are 5+ hours between disks.
It could be four disks and still not be a problem IF you install to a hard drive. You wouldn't, however, want to stream from several DVDs given a continuous level structure like GTA. Rage probably doesn't work that way though; Carmack has hinted at several megatextures which could mean separate levels.

He did create Wolfenstein 3D. Is'nt that considered the first FPS game? Doom was still a raycaster and he practically was first with polygon based 3D-engine with Quake right?

There has been a few first person action games before Wolfenstein, but it was the best all around game IMHO.
And there was Ultima Underworld I. with better, true 3D technology (but still sprite based characters) and a lot more depth to the gameplay as it was an RPG, but it was overshadowed for most gamers by Wolfenstein.

Most of the conventions and gameplay mechanics of the genre, however, were created by id. Half-life was the first game that added significant new elements, then I guess Halo introduced stuff like well implemented vehicles, only two weapons at a time, more arcade-like health and checkpoint system... and I'm sure there were other innovative games too, but there's still a lot of stuff in FPS games that's id's legacy.

Back