Car game comparisons *hit & run*

This is the same nonsense with the texture filtering issue on console : "but it's so cheap". Yet, most of the time console games don't have great texture filtering.

That typically shows more on one side than the other.

Right, because the current pissing contest of image quality in car games shouldn't actually bother with talking about AF.

But you can discuss AF about racing games if you want.

If this can help you :

jpg

jpg

In F7, the lines become pixelized just in front of you...

This is the same nonsense with the texture filtering issue on console : "but it's so cheap". Yet, most of the time console games don't have great texture filtering.

The obvious anwser is that nothing is cheap on console, everything is a matter of compromises.

You're not a developer, you only have an opinion based on nothing.

Dat "garbage" lighting :yes:
Lightmaps are cheap on everything, even on years-old mobile hardware.

Super low-res lightmapping and even per-vertex lighting (wow) on main sections of the track:

nm8IIZ.png

Garbage indeed.

Obligatory reference videos below of other racing games:

So I went around looking for evidence against my own position (because somebody has to) and found this shot:

gran-turismosport-verlfssv.jpg

So they did add some static GI since when I started calling it "garbage" (for the lack of bounced lighting and even occlussion):

GT-Sport-TokyoExpressway_East_1455.jpg

So I'm revising my assessment of the urban environment lighting, from "garbage" to "last-gen" with some garbage parts.

Something is something.

So I'm revising my assessment of the urban environment lighting, from "garbage" to "last-gen" with some garbage parts.

No, you don't know of what you are talking about as pointed out by Milk...

Super low-res lightmapping and even per-vertex lighting (wow) on main sections of the track

Yeah, much better in the competition... :

No, you don't know of what you are talking about as pointed out by Milk...
Yeah, much better in the competition... :

1. No argument, just denial. Ok.
2. I don't see per-vertex lighting in main areas of those tracks, do you? If so, please point them out.

1. No argument, just denial. Ok.
2. I don't see per-vertex lighting in main areas of those tracks, do you? If so, please point them out.
No but in GTS lighting clearly works better in every other surface including the light emited from those lights on the car.
And another peculiar thing is that in the image that shows the per-vertex lighting the right side of the walls exhibit smoother light emission on the wall. I have no idea what PD is doing with their rendering,

Also curiously per-vertex lighting doesnt seem to exist in this video

Yes, that per-vertex lighting case was weird. Maybe some kind of bug or provisional thing... If this were the rule, we would have seen it more than just once.

No but in GTS lighting clearly works better in every other surface including the light emited from those lights on the car.
And another peculiar thing is that in the image that shows the per-vertex lighting the right side of the walls exhibit smoother light emission on the wall. I have no idea what PD is doing with their rendering,

Clearly not all tracks have this problem but it is there nonetheless. Other than that the track lighting doesn't seem fundamentally better than GT6's (and it's completely static) hence "last-gen".

Perhaps, but the overall rendering is still much better in Gran Turismo as explained by Nesh.

In other racing sims, the light doesn't even illuminate the tunnel and the reflections on cars are pretty bad.

(credit to Vspectra)
As previously stated, Forza's lighting sucks.

Driveclub is still the king in this regard.

Clearly not all tracks have this problem but it is there nonetheless. Other than that the track lighting doesn't seem fundamentally better than GT6's (and it's completely static) hence "last-gen".
What is "fundamentally better"?
It's as good as every other 60fps racer if not better. So all these other 60fps racing games must really suck more

Back