Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

And that's Microsoft's own fault.

Please elaborate.

The vision is the same. The capabilities are the same. I got it THEN. There was nothing about the DRM here... it was MS' vision for a console and the audience for gaming... so please expand on your thoughts

So now Gamespot does a hands-on with the Xbox One and look what they say:

"Microsoft's initial campaign for the Xbox One caught a lot of people off guard, and the emphasis on TV and entertainment inspired massive amounts of criticism from the community at large. I was a part of that camp. Console announcements are a big deal, and people want games front and center, not Skype and cable TV integration. After meeting with Microsoft to take a look at the final build of the Xbox One OS, I've had a change of heart. What it failed to communicate in a stage presentation finally made sense, and I was instantly sold. It's not that games aren't important, but they are a given. "

Un believable... this is what people who have been intrigued by possibilities of the Xbox One since the beginning have seen... Rather than be relieved that they have finally seen the light, im highly annoyed. After all the sturm and drang, and merciless criticism... "oh... now i get it..." :rolleyes:

So he either has a broken memory or isn't very good at his job. The reason people focused on games was that Microsoft didn't, and the focus they did have was taking away the right to own your physical games and requiring always on.

The whole TV+SPORTS thing is still very very USA centered, and it comes at the cost of XBOX Live "forever" and a higher price for the console vs the competition. There is absolutely nothing convincing in those extra features for most non americans, it's like they developed it as a American console. How he can claim "he gets it" is a bit strange to be honest. Maybe he gets it as guy living in the USA.....

Games for the rest of us is very important because there is a real chance that we won't see anything close to TV TV + SPORTS SPORTS outside USA. Games are without any doubt the major reason i am getting one. And by the looks of it (literally) they will be limited to 1st party AAA+ titles and Kinect kid stuff.

I doubt very much i am the only one doing this thinking, and unlike me most other people will simply get one console and settle for the best bang for the buck with the PS4. If Microsoft is able to actually deliver TVTV+SPORTSSPORTS outside USA then we can have a real war on our hand.

I can see business niece with the Skype thingy, $60 dollars a year for a high quality TV Conference system, i know i am planning on getting a pair for testing :)

So he either has a broken memory or isn't very good at his job. The reason people focused on games was that Microsoft didn't, and the focus they did have was taking away the right to own your physical games and requiring always on.

The whole TV+SPORTS thing is still very very USA centered, and it comes at the cost of XBOX Live "forever" and a higher price for the console vs the competition. There is absolutely nothing convincing in those extra features for most non americans, it's like they developed it as a American console. How he can claim "he gets it" is a bit strange to be honest. Maybe he gets it as guy living in the USA.....

Games for the rest of us is very important because there is a real chance that we won't see anything close to TV TV + SPORTS SPORTS outside USA. Games are without any doubt the major reason i am getting one. And by the looks of it (literally) they will be limited to 1st party AAA+ titles and Kinect kid stuff.

I doubt very much i am the only one doing this thinking, and unlike me most other people will simply get one console and settle for the best bang for the buck with the PS4. If Microsoft is able to actually deliver TVTV+SPORTSSPORTS outside USA then we can have a real war on our hand.

I can see business niece with the Skype thingy, $60 dollars a year for a high quality TV Conference system, i know i am planning on getting a pair for testing :)

If you read the piece, he talked mostly about skype (which is global), party chat (which is global) ir blasting and quick switching. Not any of what you are talking about my man.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-xbox-one-will-reinvent-the-living-room/1100-6416064/

If you read the piece, he talked mostly about skype (which is global), party chat (which is global) ir blasting and quick switching. Not any of what you are talking about my man.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-xbox-one-will-reinvent-the-living-room/1100-6416064/

No, he still misses the reason why people got pissed as do you. And

This is what got Microsoft into hot water during E3, but I think it will give it the upper hand in the long run. You use your TV for two things, in most cases: watching TV and playing games. Not only does the cable integration work, but it personalizes the experience based on who's in front of the TV.

Does read like he thinks it's the TV features that will be the saving grace, and this:

In the end, it no longer seems to me that Microsoft is disconnected from its core audience.
That isn't thanks to TV TV + SPORTS SPORTS, that is thanks to them doing the 180, because the Core Audience should be gamers, or at least i would think it is.

That isn't thanks to TV TV + SPORTS SPORTS, that is thanks to them doing the 180, because the Core Audience should be gamers, or at least i would think it is.

Ironically their 180 is what cost them me and my "core gamer" buddies, as we have all switched to pc for games, with things like skype, tv, etc being the only chance they have of getting us back. Go figure how the same situation can be viewed so differently by various people. So who is right?

Most Americans won't bother routing TVs through the Xbox either.

MS is dreaming that hundreds of millions will get an X1 to run their TVs through it but that isn't going to happen.

Look at the sales of Tivos, a few million at best because people have to pay hundreds upfront and pay monthly fees on top. Most people lease DVRs through their cable or satellite because of these upfront costs.

I'm not even convinced the 70-80 million who bought the 360 will bother with the TV features (voice control) after the novelty of trying it out a few times wears off.

No, he still misses the reason why people got pissed as do you. And

Does read like he thinks it's the TV features that will be the saving grace, and this:

TV is the appliance used to watched ..television and gaming... so MS unified the experience... which there is no 180 to.

I fully understand why people got upset. I just disagree with it as being valid beyond the console not working at all if it isnt connected which was stupid. That was simply a lazy approach as opposed to simply blocking rights to shared games... which is all they needed to do.

Most of the "anger" was bullshit. plain and simple. as you read the reviews across the web now... they realize that THEY were wrong not the people who got it.

TV is the appliance used to watched ..television and gaming... so MS unified the experience... which there is no 180 to.

I fully understand why people got upset. I just disagree with it as being valid beyond the console not working at all if it isnt connected which was stupid. That was simply a lazy approach as opposed to simply blocking rights to shared games... which is all they needed to do.

Most of the "anger" was bullshit. plain and simple. as you read the reviews across the web now... they realize that THEY were wrong not the people who got it.

TV here is myriad of options here, anything from streaming, sat, cable, ota etc etc, decoder cards and just generally a mess. And it's going to be a gigantic job to keep anything updated and smooth running. I doubt they will get it working.
And for example me, i don't have anything HDMI TV signal to feed the XB1, my TV handles the TV, and i am not the only one with that issue..

Look at the sales of Tivos, a few million at best because people have to pay hundreds upfront and pay monthly fees on top. Most people lease DVRs through their cable or satellite because of these upfront costs.

Tivo's died off because they don't do enough. I used to be a Tivo owner like many others but my DirecTV box caught up years ago and replaced it easily, Tivo doesn't offer me anything special anymore so why would I pay for it? It's the same logic I apply to game consoles, they offer me nothing anymore that I can't get better elsewhere so I dropped them. The xb1 had the new hook of cloud and digital family sharing that for games almost won me and others back, but once those were killed then poof just like a Tivo box a game console offers us nothing that we can't get elsewhere for games so why would we pay for it? The new stuff they are offering from their ui, hdmi in, kinect, fitness, tv, skype, integration, etc are the hook to get people like us back, and to get new audiences in that normally wouldn't touch a console with a ten foot pole. Whether or not they can pull it off remains to be seen but it's definitely the right direction. It's definitely one of those things that really needs word of mouth to succeed because it's difficult to explain what it does, you just have to see it in action yourself to understand it. Once that gets going it will be interesting to see what people think of it.

Most Americans won't bother routing TVs through the Xbox either.

MS is dreaming that hundreds of millions will get an X1 to run their TVs through it but that isn't going to happen.

I'm not even convinced the 70-80 million who bought the 360 will bother with the TV features (voice control) after the novelty of trying it out a few times wears off.

i totally disagree. Nothing is easier than "Xbox On." "Xbox Watch tv" or "
Xbox Play Call of Duty." its NOT as mobile as Siri but its much more useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
i totally disagree. Nothing is easier than "Xbox On." "Xbox Watch tv" or "
Xbox Play Call of Duty." its as mobile as Siri but its much more useful.

Perhaps to you. Voice commands are nothing. What the XB1 does great isnt voice commands through kinect. It is how it brings everything together with or without kinect

Perhaps to you. Voice commands are nothing. What the XB1 does great isnt voice commands through kinect. It is how it brings everything together with or without kinect

so "xbox on, watch tv, play call of duty" isnt an example of "bring[ing] everything together"??

voice commands are simple one method you can choose from. you can always tap the controller or wave your hands too...

My question is, how many households lets the "kids" play on the main tv vs "forcing them to the" secondary tv?

GF/Wife/Parents might want to use the TV while the game wants to play. How is the TV features of the XB1 an advantage then? To me the device looks to unify two things that does not play well together. And if you got two tv's, do you not want the tv features to be available on the primary tv?

Or is the target audience single gamers?

I want to buy an Xb1, but that is due to the IPv6 support, ie a professional interest mostly.

My question is, how many households lets the "kids" play on the main tv vs "forcing them to the" secondary tv?

GF/Wife/Parents might want to use the TV while the game wants to play. How is the TV features of the XB1 an advantage then? To me the device looks to unify two things that does not play well together. And if you got two tv's, do you not want the tv features to be available on the primary tv?

Or is the target audience single gamers?

I want to buy an Xb1, but that is due to the IPv6 support, ie a professional interest mostly.

Those issues apply to all add on devices... not just xb1...

so "xbox on, watch tv, play call of duty" isnt an example of "bring[ing] everything together"??

voice commands are simple one method you can choose from. you can always tap the controller or wave your hands too...
No.
What brings them together is that you can get everything on screen. I know I will be having all of them displayed on XBOX1 without using the voice commands. And thats exactly what attracts me.
Otherwise XB360 would have been just as good as XB1 if it had Kinect 2. And you know it wouldnt have been

Ironically their 180 is what cost them me and my "core gamer" buddies, as we have all switched to pc for games, with things like skype, tv, etc being the only chance they have of getting us back. Go figure how the same situation can be viewed so differently by various people. So who is right?

Well, I want a gaming box and want MS spend all their money for hardcore AAA games instead of multimedia stuff I'll never use because I've a smartphone. Like all my gaming friends.

I'll guess we have to wait and see how everything turns out for MS, only numbers will give us a hind. Especially how the compare for different countries.

Those issues apply to all add on devices... not just xb1...

But you can move those to the other tv and still play games, without losing the tv capabilities you paid for on the Xb1 for the main screen.

But if you want to use the tv features on the Xb1 then somebody else can not play games.

Now the same thing can be applied to PS360 in regards to media capabilities, but those capabilities where marketed as an option for when you are not playing games, ie secondary.
While the Xb1 tv features are marketed as a main feature of the device. Have an enhanced tv experience with your game console.

Just my opinion, but I am interested in hearing your opinions.

Well, I want a gaming box and want MS spend all their money for hardcore AAA games instead of multimedia stuff I'll never use because I've a smartphone. Like all my gaming friends.

I'll guess we have to wait and see how everything turns out for MS, only numbers will give us a hind. Especially how the compare for different countries.

Yeah for sure, the main point here being is it's not cut and dry. Right now I have others speaking on my behalf all over the internet claiming "gamers" don't want what the xb1 is doing. For you that may be true, for me it's clearly not, which is why the ps4 is roughly as interesting to me as buying a Rio 500 mp3 player. But to others it's a no brainer. We'll have to wait and see how things shake out.

One interesting tidbit I learned from this is how apparently complex tv is in other countries. I always thought it was convoluted here in the USA with the myriad of tv providers, how locals are handled and all that. But I assumed what can you do on such a large land mass. From the sound of it though it's even more complicated in Europe even in relatively tiny countries. Sounds like that will be an interesting problem for them to solve. Still though that the xb1 can integrate Hulu and other internet content providers into one guide should help things.

But you can move those to the other tv and still play games, without losing the tv capabilities you paid for on the Xb1 for the main screen.

But if you want to use the tv features on the Xb1 then somebody else can not play games.

Now the same thing can be applied to PS360 in regards to media capabilities, but those capabilities where marketed as an option for when you are not playing games, ie secondary.
While the Xb1 tv features are marketed as a main feature of the device. Have an enhanced tv experience with your game console.

Just my opinion, but I am interested in hearing your opinions.

I understand totally where you are coming from. Tvs cant really be shared by multiple users simultaneously. That affects all viewing devices. Single users can multitask but its hard for multiple users to multitask.

Althoughi can see where there are scenarios which could work... Lets say I have kids and they are using the XB1 for some childrens game... depending on age they will find whatever size screen I enable for them to be effective. If I want to give them the bulk of the screen while I watch a minimized football game that would be acceptable. Or if im watching a show and I enable my wife to take a skype call from her mother in a small screen that could be fine too.

Back