Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

In the US, but i bet they will be making a profit on the hardware both in mainland EU and the UK.
20% VAT is included in the UK price. £350 retail == £280 sans tax == $450. US price excludes sales tax averaging at 8%. $400 + 8% == $432 Factor in the better warranty situation that Sony has to cost in Europe, and it's basically the same price. Unlike Samsung's disgusting 25% markup for their new Note 10.1! :mad:

Ms makes a profit at $500 .

Holiday 2014 will be interesting. I think both will be at price parity and most likely under $400

I hope so. Many people would never buy a 400€, they would be far from purchasing a 500€ one. I would expect a drop in price as early as during the Christmas holidays.

The Xbox One is going to be my birthday's gift -perhaps among others, although I don't care about presents-, 'cos my birthday is really near the launch date.

Price drop this Christmas?

Or Christmas 2014?
This Christmas... Early adopters are likely not to worry much about price, but I'd expect a price drop by then, at least for the Xbox One. PS4 has some more leeway.

I'd expect a sell out for Christmas regardless the price. Question is... Isn't it more likely to have a second round sale out this Christmas if they dropped the price by then?

I'd also expect subsidised plans beginning early next year, and I am wondering whey they don't offer that now tbh.

I'd also expect subsidised plans beginning early next year, and I am wondering whey they don't offer that now tbh.
Because they'll sell everything they can make up to the first 3 million or so at least, so no point lending credit until then.

By the way, what do you guys expect about ebay sales in the launch period? Public interest suggests that the PS4 supply could easily end up there with prices up to $1000, I wonder how the X1 will fare...

I expect there to be plenty of quantity of both consoles available. With that said, I expect perhaps a 15% premium on the listed price on the consoles on eBay. That will barely cover the ebay listing and selling fees as well as the paypal transfer fees and the actual shipping fees.

Possible here too, as 5 December is our 'Christmas' Eve ... St Nicholas the children's patron saint, and most family's with younger children celebrate then rather that at Christmas (coca cola version is based on this), though the two traditions now co-exist. Tomorrow it's St Maarten here, which is partly the origin of Halloween, we just celebrated it tonight.

Anyway, long story short there could be high demand. I hope not, I'd probably be tempted to sell mine, but actually was planning a launch party with some friends coming over.

the high price not only happen on ebay but also on parallel importers in my country. The price for PS4 is about 600 dollar to 800 dollar. and the game are priced about 80 dollar.

This is the first time where parallel importers increase price 100% or more.

Reading all the stuff on XB1 on The Verge, is there anything known on actual deals with broadcasters and cable companies in the US ?

Here in the Netherlands, you can't just use the programming listings. They are copyrighted. So, if you take the output of a set topbox and put your own EPG on top it it, I'm sure you need deals with ISPs, cable companies and broadcasters.

In adddition, is CI+ taking off in the US ? As such the digital cable decoder is in the TV and the uncompressed video stays in the TV. The only thing you get out of it is the audio (via HDMI ARC).

People here are getting sick of the badly produced/engineered settopbox boxes and a CI+ module inside your TV is a nice way to get rid of it. CI+ 2.0 also allows for on-demand services, via the internet connection of your TV.

You can run your cable out into your XB1. You won't have access to the One Guide (that'll be down to regional deals) but you can still multitask games and apps over the top.

Here in the Netherlands, you can't just use the programming listings. They are copyrighted. So, if you take the output of a set topbox and put your own EPG on top it it, I'm sure you need deals with ISPs, cable companies and broadcasters.

Do they sell Tivo boxes where you are? Tivo has to buy guide data from the various providers in a given country, that's how they get accurate guide data for cable companies, satellite companies, etc. So if they sell Tivo boxes where you live then the xb1 should be able to get accurate guide data as well. Normally the user has to pay for this fee, like Tivo has a monthly fee to cover their expenses in getting guide data, etc, although in this case I presume it would be absorbed in the xb1's yearly cost for Live.

So now Gamespot does a hands-on with the Xbox One and look what they say:

"Microsoft's initial campaign for the Xbox One caught a lot of people off guard, and the emphasis on TV and entertainment inspired massive amounts of criticism from the community at large. I was a part of that camp. Console announcements are a big deal, and people want games front and center, not Skype and cable TV integration. After meeting with Microsoft to take a look at the final build of the Xbox One OS, I've had a change of heart. What it failed to communicate in a stage presentation finally made sense, and I was instantly sold. It's not that games aren't important, but they are a given. "

Un believable... this is what people who have been intrigued by possibilities of the Xbox One since the beginning have seen... Rather than be relieved that they have finally seen the light, im highly annoyed. After all the sturm and drang, and merciless criticism... "oh... now i get it..." :rolleyes:

Back