[BRAND NEW] High-Def Three Minutes MGS4 Trailer

There's a false either-or dichotomy presented here. Sure, if you step down in resolution, you get more fillrate, but that only helps you if you're fillrate limited. By the same argument, could not console games of the previous generation be made with even higher quality by rendering to a 320x240 framebuffer and upscaling? Likewise, you could use lower quality textures to relief bandwidth pressure. However...

The next-gen consoles have 720p as a minimum design point just like previous gen consoles were designed for 480i/p. Even at 720p, they have substantially more shader power than previous generations. The Xbox could execute about ~1giga shaderops/s. The Xbox360 is 24-48 times more powerful on paper, and real world efficiency of the XB360 is alot higher, so it is likely to be up to 100x faster at shaders. The real world (non-shader) achievable fillrate is the XB360 is alot higher too. The XB360 is probably able to handle a real world fillrate close to 4 gigapixels and 16 gigasamples. I'd be surpsied if the Xbox1 could hit ~1gigapixel when texturing and alpha blending.

I would argue that when we have so much power, we can afford to move up the minimum design point to HD. If some game wants to push more, then drop back to 480p, just like some X-Box games didn't even support 480p. But the majority of games should strive to achieve the new design point.

I have plenty of PC games that let me enable extra details if I go down a step or two in resolution. But you know what? Most of the time, the result isn't worth it! Sure, if I drop half-life2 down to 640x480 or 800x600 and turn off 4xMSAA or 16xAF, I can enable higher reflection options or high quality shadows. But the resulting loss in resolution actually makes the game look far more jagged and lower quality IMHO.

As a result, I find myself turning off some details in order to run at 1600x1200. The overall look of the game remains largely the same in most cases.

If we follow the former argument in this thread, than no matter how powerful consoles get in the future, they will always run at 480p, because going to 720p loses you 3x in fillrate. So in 2020, we'll still be rendering at 480p given this argument.

I tend to take the view that fillrate is only one factor of the look and feel of the game, and I want a balanced approach that raises resolution and effects, instead of concentrating on one extreme or the other.

UPDATE: MGS4 TV Trailer from GAF

Its a torrent file I recommend using Azureus to download it ;)

VLC and Media Player Classic should play it (I used VLC and it worked fine). Highlight of this newer version? Sound. Its good to hear with a little more clarity the mayhem thats going down. Its at a resonable size...but i'm still holding out for the Direct Feed HD Trailer. Until then...where getting close. :)

On a side note. After going on a HUGE Battlefield 2 binge...i'm starting to appreciate how the video starts off with the group of soldiers and how Snake dissarms the enemy. I also LOVE the part where he switches over the gun to the opposite shoulder. Its little things like that that make me happy. Somone also posted the actual gun that Snake is using....the thing is like a mini lego set..it has so many extensions. I HOPE Kojima allows guns to be built upon with customizable features...that would rock.

Nice posts Shifty and Demo!

I think between the two a large cross section of the issue, and the compromises on each end and the impact of a single bottleneck (and next gen design points to overcome those), really fleshes out the entire issue.

BlueTsunami said:
UPDATE: MGS4 TV Trailer from GAF

Its a torrent file I recommend using Azureus to download it ;)

VLC and Media Player Classic should play it (I used VLC and it worked fine). Highlight of this newer version? Sound. Its good to hear with a little more clarity the mayhem thats going down. Its at a resonable size...but i'm still holding out for the Direct Feed HD Trailer. Until then...where getting close. :)

On a side note. After going on a HUGE Battlefield 2 binge...i'm starting to appreciate how the video starts off with the group of soldiers and how Snake dissarms the enemy. I also LOVE the part where he switches over the gun to the opposite shoulder. Its little things like that that make me happy. Somone also posted the actual gun that Snake is using....the thing is like a mini lego set..it has so many extensions. I HOPE Kojima allows guns to be built upon with customizable features...that would rock.

Thanks for the BT link. I read you're wanting Kojima to add customizable features. Guess what, that's exactly his intention to include customizable weapons in MGS4. I might be a newbie on the forums but I'm dead sure I've read this on one of the popular gaming sites(not blogs I assure ya!). I'm searching around the net to get you the link and will post it later when I find the quote :) I believe Kojima had mentioned this aspect when he was showcasing the zoom/shadow/filter features of the realtime MGS4 demo.

Just finished downloading the BT file BlueTsunami provided. Did anyone get the interlacing effect on these files like I did? Yea, I know sucks, right.

Well there is a pretty good solution to get rid of interlacing(n its super simple to do). First of all, those who don't know how to play the .tc files, should just associate it with 'Media Player Classic'. It'll open fine. Second, go to the media player classic settings by pressing 'O' for options in its window. Goto Filters>Decoders, see the drop down Deinterlacing method option? Yea, just choose either Blend or Bob for excellent playback of this directfeed trailer. I used bob and personally prefer it over blend. Thank Blue for this awesome trailer!

Metalgearih said:
Thanks for the BT link. I read you're wanting Kojima to add customizable features. Guess what, that's exactly his intention to include customizable weapons in MGS4.

Yeah, the recent Gamespot article detailed this.

Gamespot said:
Series designer Shinkawa revealed that one of the new features in MGS4 will be a modular weapon system. "As you could see in the trailer, MGS4 allows different weapons attachments to be swapped in and out. We made it so players can customize [their weapons]," said Shinkawa. "This is going to be a game for equipment lovers. We've paid special attention to the metals used in the weapons so that they have different textures. They're all metal, but their colors and other elements will slightly vary."

Kojima gave some information on MGS4's enemies as well. The mechs that are seen walking together with soldiers and tanks in the trailer are a new type of Metal Gear called gekkou, which means "moonlight" in Japanese. They're a mixture of mech and creature; the upper half of the body is mechanical, but the legs are organic. "They're extremely fast, but they'll bleed and fall down if Snake shoots their legs--though of course, it's difficult to actually hit them," revealed Kojima. "There's nobody on board that's controlling them, since they move with AI."

Given the shift to the PS3, the soldiers in MGS4 have new characteristics as well. Unlike soldiers from past installments, the soldiers in MGS4 will have individual appearances, including individualized clothing. Kojima referred to them as "Mr. Solider" rather than enemies, since they are neutral toward Snake unless he attacks them. "There are no friendly soldiers or enemy soldiers this time," he said. "It's a war zone, so whether they'll become allies or foes is all up to the player."

So when will MGS4 come out? Not for at least another year, according to Kojima, who said the game will be shown again at the 2006 Tokyo Game Show. "This is our first time, so we focused on presenting the visual aspects of MGS4," he said. "At next year's show, we plan to show more of the game's aspects that can't be seen by the naked eye."

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot

Damn, its gonna be a loooong wait for this one.

Here's a pic of the actual gun, they absolutely nailed it with the in-game model.
http://www.pc-net.com.tw/intrudershop/mmc/images/STOCK-OS-1.jpg

And here's all the doo-dads...
http://quarterbore.com/images/sopmodm4.jpg

Back