Blue Dragon will ship on 3 DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the max CDs a really popular game shipped on? I remember 5 or 6 for MYST (or was it II?), back in the day. . .

D - 3 CDs (not a popular game though ;))
Final Fantasy VII - 3 CDs
Final Fantasy VIII - 4 CDs
Final Fantasy IX - 4 CDs
Metal Gear Solid - 2 CDs
Resident Evil 2 - 2 CDs

There are probably more, but those are all the multi-CD games I have.

Well, considering the largest GTA game, San Andreas only took up 2.5GB on the Multi PAL version, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. They could triple the amount of space used and still fit in nicely. A very big misconception seems to float around a lot that GTA: San Andreas was this massive game that took a whole DVD9 already.

Just a thought: Not only would they triple the amount of space, which I'm assuming you mean gameworld, but also increase the details in textures, models, sound and various other objects within the game. If the next GTA is truly next-gen than it shouldn't fit into a single DVD. I think GTA4 will definitely push the limits of a non-fmv game bursting a DVD9.

Just a thought: Not only would they triple the amount of space, which I'm assuming you mean gameworld, but also increase the details in textures, models, sound and various other objects within the game. If the next GTA is truly next-gen than it shouldn't fit into a single DVD. I think GTA4 will definitely push the limits of a non-fmv game bursting a DVD9.

So "larger than DVD" size now = next gen? :???:

Why would the sound need to be increased? Sounded pretty good on my 5.1 setup last gen and the number of tracks was more than enough.

I'm not in any way trying to debate DVD vs BD, but I would like to point out the fact that a developer will work with what they have. Of course they'll target 4 - 9 GBs, if that's what they have to work with. But to claim that that alone is proof that something different could not or would not have been done with a different target size in mind (even with the same hardware), is a bit of a logical leap I think. DVD will have to be adequate for the next-gen GTA. On a related note, considering the transfer rate penalty hit taken with DVD9, DVD5 might have to adequate, given GTAs streaming nature. By the very necessities dictated by the situation, it is, of course, "adequate." The situation being missing a potentially huge portion of the gaming market.

You could argue the same fact regarding data transfer speed, dev's may have to change the way they stream data because blu-ray is holding them back in that regard. (sure they may use the HDD, who knows, guess we'll have to wait and see)

Not only that it's obvious that yes Blu-ray has a significant advantage in disc space, but 360 has one with with a unified memory design which i consider a bigger deal.

It really doesn't matter at the end of the day, as developers (especially ones that are developing exclisive content) will cater to the strength and work round the weaknesses of each platform.

As for multiplatform games they will cater to the lower spec'd machine which is probably the 360 at least in terms of disc storage, or possibly PS3 in terms of memory space.

Last edited by a moderator:

NO, I don't mean gameworld. They don't really need a bigger world than GTA:SA. That space gives them room to improve the textures and add other graphical effects. Good lord, why on earth would we need more barren wasteland than what's on GTA:SA?

I've been waiting for the day I could say "Hey, can't we retire 'next gen' now? Puh-lease!?"

That day has arrived. They're all launched now, fellas! "Next gen" is now officially PS4/WiiII/XB336600!

D - 3 CDs (not a popular game though ;))
Final Fantasy VII - 3 CDs
Final Fantasy VIII - 4 CDs
Final Fantasy IX - 4 CDs
Metal Gear Solid - 2 CDs
Resident Evil 2 - 2 CDs

There are probably more, but those are all the multi-CD games I have.

D was on 4 CD IIRC.

Fear Effect was a 4 CD game too, I wish they make next Fear Effect.:cool:

My apologies if I wasn't clear but it is the other way around, where what we call next-gen (which to be honest is now-gen at the moment) entails more details graphically, realistic movements, physics...etc. I thought that it was realistic to assume that since more is expected in game environments as well as the detail of objects within these environments, more space would be used to save these details on the current media. So it is not that a larger dvd size equals now-gen in iteself, but that more details equals more space which might surpass dvd media size for storage of the assets.

And Crosseye my mistake.:oops:

I thought that it was realistic to assume that since more is expected in game environments as well as the detail of objects within these environments, more space would be used to save these details on the current media.

That's true, but it doesn't mean a game must use more than the limits of DVD to be truly next gen. It could use 3 times 'more space' than the original and still fit on a DVD...

That's true, but it doesn't mean a game must use more than the limits of DVD to be truly next gen. It could use 3 times 'more space' than the original and still fit on a DVD...

:oops: I should have never phrased my original reply by using "truly" since it is truly vague as to what is new-gen, not to mention that the first wave of the console new gen is on DVD9s. I will only say that a gamer's idea of the new nearly always encompasses increases in detail and that by the end of this console cycle there may be a hard time fitting these increased expectations onto a DVD. That said I do not care about which media holds my game unless it affects the games streaming time. I do not even care whether a game is segmented into DVDs as long as there is no interruption in my interactions in the game world (ex. switching media after that big boss fight and cut-scene). I feel some of the folks in the thread are defending the feasibility of using one DVD as a storage medium for games over this entire console cycle. I am guessing that this will not last very long, and will annoy some people who do not like switching (I and most in this thread do not mind this). Sorry for the tome but I just wanted to clarify what I think (hope I didn't make it worse).:D

Guys, can we move on, please? This issue / non-issue has discussed to death multiple times and yet it continues to rise from the grave. Let's all be happy that BD has in fact enough content for 3 DVD, albeit I guess there's gonna be a lot of FMV.
The BRD vs. DVD argument can be laid to rest, but I'd like to know how data use is changing (if at all). Are current-gen consoles going to be consuming >1 DVDs worth of assets? Okay, games for XB360 are likely to try to stay in that limit, but when we do get a multi-disk game, are they providng a larger/richer game with it?

I think most likely what we'll start to see if DVD becomes too limiting is a simple answer. SP on one disc, multi on another. That right there frees up some room to be used just by the SP game.

I think most likely what we'll start to see if DVD becomes too limiting is a simple answer. SP on one disc, multi on another. That right there frees up some room to be used just by the SP game.

Oh god no, after trying out Metal gear solid 3: Subsistance at my friends, I have to say its very painful to change those disks. Or maybe I'm too lazy...I still hate changing discs in games tho. :)

The BRD vs. DVD argument can be laid to rest, but I'd like to know how data use is changing (if at all). Are current-gen consoles going to be consuming >1 DVDs worth of assets? Okay, games for XB360 are likely to try to stay in that limit, but when we do get a multi-disk game, are they providng a larger/richer game with it?

BRD vs. DVD is a futile argument. You will never see a 2 disc Madden which causes you to change disc between quarters. 360 and multi-platform developers will work within the storage constraints of DVD. Multi-DVD will be relegated to RPG or other games where disk changing represent a minimal affect on the gameplay. I can imagine a free roaming world broking up into three parts and one for each DVD where the game doesn't promote (though it will allow) to and fro traveling between disks. Thereby, structuring its mission to keep you moving within the realm of the DVD defined world and then finally forward to the next DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back