Blue Dragon Reviews

I think it's more of a realtime cut-scene, it's loaded with polygon edges...

It's one of these two options:

1) the screens with AA (and lots of it!) are bullshots. The jaggied one is realtime.
2) the screens with AA (and lots of it!) are CGI with realtime assets - meaning the polygon edges are still there, but the IQ is vastly improved, and constant framerate is guaranteed as it's a video. The jaggied one is realtime.
3) the screens with AA (and lots of it!) are "realtime cutscenes", with AA applied. They could still be bullshots seen just how smooth those pics are.
4) the screens with AA (and lots of it!) are "realtime cutscenes", with LOTS of AA applied, in realtime.

Till someone gets the game, we won't know. From the shots themselves, they aren't in-game as they look like they're from a non-playable scene. We just won't know whether it's CGI or realtime until the game comes out here and people go through it.

Then again... Does it really matter?

It's a shame the DOF looks so amateur. Around the edges of in-focus objects you get halos where the background is incorrectly sampling the focal plane during the blurring.

The solution is very simple, too, and has been around since the early days of R300.

Other than that it looks pretty, if not quite amazing.

Is the camera moving during a field exploration scene? In Lost Odyssey it was fixed which I didn't expect for a UE3 game.

It's a shame the DOF looks so amateur. Around the edges of in-focus objects you get halos where the background is incorrectly sampling the focal plane during the blurring.

The solution is very simple, too, and has been around since the early days of R300.

Other than that it looks pretty, if not quite amazing.

What solution would that be.?
I guess they are simply taking a copy of the frame buffer, blurring it, then interpolating to it based on depth. Very fast solution, used in all sorts of games...

Ok... Why am I the only one who finds this a bit weird?

"One thing that depressed me a little was there is a feature to check enemy's poo"

Ok... Why am I the only one who finds this a bit weird?

"One thing that depressed me a little was there is a feature to check enemy's poo"

hahahahah, I sure hope they are kidding, right? If thats true, my god...Japanese game makers have found a new low. :)

I don't see much of a difference between those two shots, other than some jaggies. Shading looks the same, just with a much brighter light source.
There's a significant lighting/shading difference. There's a soft GI type illumination in the majority of pics, and in motion this has always been accurate. Image 1 totally lacks this. See the left elbow wher the lighting has a fracture across it, and similarly the shorts. In the other pics, the lighting is realistically smooth across all surfaces. You can also see the lighting in the boy's mouth in Image 1 with a DayGlo tongue which shouldn't be receiving any illumination, like the boy's in Image 5. Image 1 is also lacking the soft-shadows from the hair (see Image 18 for very clear, though image 4 shows it in less contrasty situations) that are common throught screenshots.

It's a great looking game for sure, and I think the art direction is top notch, with great use of DOF too. But there's definitely some pics that look very primitive in shading compared to others. I'd like to know what's producing the better looking pics. All this time I was thinking it was the game engine, but now I'm guessing it FMV in-game assets offline rendered with GI shading - which probably explains the 3 DVDs worth of game!

There's a significant lighting/shading difference. There's a soft GI type illumination in the majority of pics, and in motion this has always been accurate. Image 1 totally lacks this. See the left elbow wher the lighting has a fracture across it, and similarly the shorts. In the other pics, the lighting is realistically smooth across all surfaces. You can also see the lighting in the boy's mouth in Image 1 with a DayGlo tongue which shouldn't be receiving any illumination, like the boy's in Image 5. Image 1 is also lacking the soft-shadows from the hair (see Image 18 for very clear, though image 4 shows it in less contrasty situations) that are common throught screenshots.

It's a great looking game for sure, and I think the art direction is top notch, with great use of DOF too. But there's definitely some pics that look very primitive in shading compared to others. I'd like to know what's producing the better looking pics. All this time I was thinking it was the game engine, but now I'm guessing it FMV in-game assets offline rendered with GI shading - which probably explains the 3 DVDs worth of game!

A quick search on http://www.gamevideos.com/ will show some gameplay movies. It seems that all the graphics in the battle system are realtime becuase you can see the backgrounds and characters during the battle. I dont thin theres any way they would have a different CGI scene for all the possible permutations of location/party/enemies. I can see all the storytelling scenes being some CGI though.

hahahahah, I sure hope they are kidding, right? If thats true, my god...Japanese game makers have found a new low. :)

Some body on another board explained that the "poo's" are something from the dragon ball creator's books and are supposed to be cute.

The Poo's in the comics look somthing like this.

http://bluedragon.tv/images/img13.jpg
but I'm not sure if these monsters are the same thing but after searching the internet some it seems like they are really working what's his name's comic characters into the game by the looks of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some body on another board explained that the "poo's" are something from the dragon ball creator's books and are supposed to be cute.

The Poo's in the comics look somthing like this.

http://bluedragon.tv/images/img13.jpg
but I'm not sure if these monsters are the same thing but after searching the internet some it seems like they are really working what's his name's comic characters into the game by the looks of it.

Talk about giving weird name for a creature! "Son, what is this game about?" "Yeah well you can explore the world and fight monsters, then you can check some poo's out" "Okay son, lets pass"

Talk about giving weird name for a creature! "Son, what is this game about?" "Yeah well you can explore the world and fight monsters, then you can check some poo's out" "Okay son, lets pass"

No worse than naming a games console a Wii "Dad, can i have a Wii for christmas?" "A what?"

I imagine much like the bodily connotations that the Wii had, calling something a poo (we have Winnie the Pooh after all) will just cease to be an issue after a couple of hours play

No worse than naming a games console a Wii "Dad, can i have a Wii for christmas?" "A what?"

I imagine much like the bodily connotations that the Wii had, calling something a poo (we have Winnie the Pooh after all) will just cease to be an issue after a couple of hours play

I hope you ain't seriously saying "Wii" and "Poo" are in equal terms for name. Perhaps Nintendo will come out with a new console next time named Poo then. ;)

I hope you ain't seriously saying "Wii" and "Poo" are in equal terms for name. Perhaps Nintendo will come out with a new console next time named Poo then. ;)

I'm sure a variation of "poo" was shouted when a couple of Wii remotes when flying through the screen :)

I am seriously saying that, what's wrong with it?

wee

make, urinate, piddle, puddle, micturate, piss, pee, pee-pee, make water, relieve oneself, take a leak, spend a penny, wee, wee-wee, pass water
eliminate urine;

poo (slang)
noun
verb
intr
pooped, pooping
1. To defecate.

How can you tell me the sound of Wii is better than the sound of Poo? I don't want to start all this Wii=wee="ewww, sounds gross" stuff again, I just thought it valid to say just has Wii has been accepted despite sounding like the above, so too will poo to those who play BD.

I am seriously saying that, what's wrong with it?

wee

make, urinate, piddle, puddle, micturate, piss, pee, pee-pee, make water, relieve oneself, take a leak, spend a penny, wee, wee-wee, pass water
eliminate urine;

poo (slang)
noun
verb
intr
pooped, pooping
1. To defecate.

How can you tell me the sound of Wii is better than the sound of Poo? I don't want to start all this Wii=wee="ewww, sounds gross" stuff again, I just thought it valid to say just has Wii has been accepted despite sounding like the above, so too will poo to those who play BD.

Ugh. Checking someones Poo sounds WRONG, in SO, MANY, WAYS.

Ugh. Checking someones Poo sounds WRONG, in SO, MANY, WAYS.

But.... It's a cute poo!

O_poo.jpeg

Back