"Blu-ray support a last minute switch, Microsoft says..."

Ok, It never even came to my mind that there would be only hybrid discs!
From all I've read I've somehow got the impression that hybrids would be just for some discs, like say some lesser movies would be only DVD and hybrids, while some bigger AAA titles like LOTR super special HD edition would be only on the full HD-DVD.
That would make the HD-DVD give the public the impression like it truly is a new, much better format than DVD, instead of being just something that comes on the side of your latest DVD purchase. I would think it will be difficult to market the hybrid discs as something truly next gen format with hybrids, but the marketing persons are clever so maybe that's not a problem.

Hybrid is a red herring. Microsoft only needs one reason to hate Blu-Ray, namely it's on the PS3.

Will Warners, the biggest booster of DVD and HD-DVD among the studios, really put out say a $20 version of Batman Returns on a hybrid disc instead of putting out a DVD at $20 and an HD-DVD at $25-30?

If they only put out the hybrid (assuming it has all the same content including extras), they would be leaving some money on the table. This is the kind of movie that a lot of people would buy on DVD and then later on HD-DVD when they upgrade.

aaronspink said:
Yes, but that is the dead-end BR product. The consumer product is not suppose to have a caddy.

Dead end or not, all I said is that product has been available for purchase for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty said:
The way I approach information is to take everything at face value. If someone says something is the case, I trust it is, from their POV. But I also accept that the reality might not be so clear cut, and maybe something will come along to change my mind, and things are normally never quite as wonderfully fantastic or disasterously bad as public figures make out, because their communications are always driven by some agenda (promoting their way of thinking) rather than being driven by a desire to communicate the truth.

So basiclly I should just wait until the product comes out right? And that applies to both sides I guess.:???: So debating now is just for fun.

wco81 said:
Hybrid is a red herring. Microsoft only needs one reason to hate Blu-Ray, namely it's on the PS3.

Will Warners, the biggest booster of DVD and HD-DVD among the studios, really put out say a $20 version of Batman Returns on a hybrid disc instead of putting out a DVD at $20 and an HD-DVD at $25-30?

If they only put out the hybrid (assuming it has all the same content including extras), they would be leaving some money on the table. This is the kind of movie that a lot of people would buy on DVD and then later on HD-DVD when they upgrade.

If they felt it would mean market penetration and a leg up in the wars for the next optical format, they would do it. Leaving some money on the table for some titles early on would be a small price to pay to become the next standard.

J

mckmas8808 said:
So debating now is just for fun.
It always was! You can learn stuff and try to guess stuff, but based on the limited information we have available no matter what your conclusions from discussions, you could be wrong and the final product may fall short of, or exceeded, expectations. Que sera, sera!

Quizzing the press, Dell responded by asking if anyone knew which was the first version of Windows to support DVD? Without hearing an answer, the CEO-turned-history-instructor responded, "None," explaining that even now, Windows has no native DVD support, and that OEMs such as Dell provide their own drivers and codecs. "Computer manufacturers have always provided their own codecs," for optical video disc support, Mr. Dell remarked, "so we'll continue to do that."

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050928_160055.html

Quizzing the press, Dell responded by asking if anyone knew which was the first version of Windows to support DVD? Without hearing an answer, the CEO-turned-history-instructor responded, "None," explaining that even now, Windows has no native DVD support, and that OEMs such as Dell provide their own drivers and codecs. "Computer manufacturers have always provided their own codecs," for optical video disc support, Mr. Dell remarked, "so we'll continue to do that."

So I guess Dell put that debate to rest huh? And Shifty at least we have one answer here.

So basically, if this DOES come to fruition...this would all mean..... If you were to install a HD-DVD drive, the OS will pick it up and load the appropriate drivers. If you install a Blu-Ray drive, the OS will detect the new hardware but will not know what to do with it, so you would have to install the drivers that were provided with the Blu-Ray drive?

:LOL:

BlueTsunami said:
So basically, if this DOES come to fruition...this would all mean..... If you were to install a HD-DVD drive, the OS will pick it up and load the appropriate drivers. If you install a Blu-Ray drive, the OS will detect the new hardware but will not know what to do with it, so you would have to install the drivers that were provided with the Blu-Ray drive?

:LOL:

I dont think its as much the device drivers for the hardware as it is the software/codecs to play whats ON the discs. Today when a dell customer buys a DVD-ROM drive, they get some basic MPG2 codec installed so they can watch movies, Windows does not have a native mpg2 codec. What MS backing the HD-DVD camp implies is that future versions of windows MAY have all the codecs necessary to play HD DVD movies natively, yet not have the codecs for blu ray. and these codecs will be integrated into some player in the OS>

Are the blu-ray and HD DVD video codecs the same?

J

Man Dell themselves said that they would fully support the codecs needed for the Blu-ray drive, so there is really nothing to worry about.

expletive said:
I dont think its as much the device drivers for the hardware as it is the software/codecs to play whats ON the discs. Today when a dell customer buys a DVD-ROM drive, they get some basic MPG2 codec installed so they can watch movies, Windows does not have a native mpg2 codec. What MS backing the HD-DVD camp implies is that future versions of windows MAY have all the codecs necessary to play HD DVD movies natively, yet not have the codecs for blu ray. and these codecs will be integrated into some player in the OS>

Are the blu-ray and HD DVD video codecs the same?

J

Ahhhh, I get what you mean now. So that could actually be troublesome. Although, just like device drivers all you would need to do (appearently) is use the basic Blu-Ray codecs that (should) come with the device. Install it and your done. I'm not sure pre-installed codecs in the OS will detract people from buying Blu-Ray...but I guess the whole point of it is to show Microsofts commitment behind HD-DVD..

Yes they'll come with the BRD drive's software, unless the drive seller just wants to sell useless hardware! And BluRay uses WMV and MPG4 as its so they'll be supportd natively on Windows anyhow won't they? Maybe not MPG4 if that has to be licensed.

Wouldn't the problem be with the JVM thats needs to be installed to operate toe BRDrive not codex?

I mean I"m sure the drive would still work just like any CDROM\DVDROM does right now, just not for movies?

Shifty Geezer said:
Yes they'll come with the BRD drive's software, unless the drive seller just wants to sell useless hardware! And BluRay uses WMV and MPG4 as its so they'll be supportd natively on Windows anyhow won't they? Maybe not MPG4 if that has to be licensed.

Right, thats why i asked if the codecs were the same.

Still, if HD DVD software support comes native in Windows, it will still be an 'up-sell' for dell to put a BR drive/software in a PC.

J

expletive said:
Right, thats why i asked if the codecs were the same.

Still, if HD DVD software support comes native in Windows, it will still be an 'up-sell' for dell to put a BR drive/software in a PC.

J

Something that they don't seem to be bothered with. Dell themselves have said so.

mckmas8808 said:
Something that they don't seem to be bothered with. Dell themselves have said so.

Its not really about whether or not Dell is willing to ask, its whether or not consumers are going to pay extra for BR support in their Media center edition PC when it includes HD-DVD support for free.

EDIT: Or have to use a seperate software player outside of Win MCE to play BR movies while the HD DVD player is integrated into the Win MCE interfance.

J

Back