Bioshock PS3*

The hope was forlorn for a reason it seems.

Thanks for the impressions inefficient. Doesn't sound too sparkling. Hmm.

The hope was forlorn for a reason it seems.

Thanks for the impressions inefficient. Doesn't sound too sparkling. Hmm.

Don't let one person sway you....

I found the game intriguing with many different options at your fingertips. As you crank up the difficulty the game takes on a whole new twist. It forces you to be creative in fighting the Big Daddies and the other various denizens of Rapture.

The pacing is great, and there are some jaw dropping areas to be found around many corners.

In regards to the audio, the spacial positioning was fantastic and was almost necessary at times in the game.

Keep in mind I played this on the 360...But I am anxiously going to give it another run through on the PS3. It's that good.

I loved Bioshock on X360 (altho I found it a little long), I would pick this up on PS3 on the cheap and play through again to find the alternate ending (well for those who played the game you'll know there's something you do where's there's 2 options - I chose one, be nice to see what happens if I chose differently.

d/l the demo, be interested to see what it's like comparred.

I loved Bioshock on X360 (altho I found it a little long), I would pick this up on PS3 on the cheap and play through again to find the alternate ending (well for those who played the game you'll know there's something you do where's there's 2 options - I chose one, be nice to see what happens if I chose differently.

d/l the demo, be interested to see what it's like comparred.

You could always just watch the 2nd ending on youtube.

Bad ending

Good ending

Played the demo. By the end I realized I was not going to buy it. The game just feels really glitchy to me. Glitchy physics, glitchy graphics, glitchy audio.

I've already played it on PC and felt pretty mediocre on the game overall. I thought surely I was missing something about the experience like missing 5.1 sound in the PC version that caused me not to like it. But it turns out it's just the game itself I am not in love with; it's not the PCs fault.

The only think I liked over the PC version was the controls. The game was just designed to be played with a controller not a KB/Mouse.

I'm surprised that I've heard people claim this game has great audio. I felt it was quite poor. The PC version didn't have 5.1 audio so this is what I was looking forward to the most. But it was quite disappointing. Maybe the PS3 version has different audio system than the 360 game, but I doubt that. I think as a first gen 360 game it got a lot more leeway from reviewers. They threw in a lot of reverb and echo effects that were pretty much new to this generation and people might have reacted to just that. But I felt the sound poorly represented what was going on around me. And just like in the PC version, some sounds would cut out, and occasionally some sounds you knew were supposed to be there would not play.

Hmm... your comments surprised me. Hope it's available on US PSN today so I can try it myself. I will most likely still buy it but I can use a lowered expectation. ;-)

Don't let one person sway you....

I found the game intriguing with many different options at your fingertips. As you crank up the difficulty the game takes on a whole new twist. It forces you to be creative in fighting the Big Daddies and the other various denizens of Rapture.

The pacing is great, and there are some jaw dropping areas to be found around many corners.

In regards to the audio, the spacial positioning was fantastic and was almost necessary at times in the game.

Keep in mind I played this on the 360...But I am anxiously going to give it another run through on the PS3. It's that good.

Even if he it did sway my opinion I'd be stuck - I've preordered it!

Played it. I can't be bothered to fire it up on my 360 to make a direct comparison. Not that the differences make much, umm, difference to me. It certainly feels a little dated visually. But the atmosphere, art and engaging storyline are still present and correct. At times it feels like there's some framerate hiccups - which is disappointing - and certainly in one instance I noticed some very obvious LOD.

Still, all that said, my sentence that begins with but and ends with correct is the most important to me.

The only think I liked over the PC version was the controls. The game was just designed to be played with a controller not a KB/Mouse.

I'm surprised that I've heard people claim this game has great audio. I felt it was quite poor. The PC version didn't have 5.1 audio.

Not sure if you were referring to your specific setup but the game itself definatly has 5.1 (and 7.1) sound options.

It also has what is probably the best gamepad support of any PC game. That is to say, it uses the 360 control pad in an identical way to the 360 but when you switch the controls over to 360 control pad mode, all the games interface menu's and on screen prompts change to match as well. So you really do get the best of both worlds :smile:

Not sure if you were referring to your specific setup but the game itself definatly has 5.1 (and 7.1) sound options.

It also has what is probably the best gamepad support of any PC game. That is to say, it uses the 360 control pad in an identical way to the 360 but when you switch the controls over to 360 control pad mode, all the games interface menu's and on screen prompts change to match as well. So you really do get the best of both worlds :smile:

Must have been just my rig then. For some reason I thought it was the game's limitation. Maybe it wanted an actual Creative Labs X-Fi card for full support.

Must have been just my rig then. For some reason I thought it was the game's limitation. Maybe it wanted an actual Creative Labs X-Fi card for full support.

I'm just using regular old intergrated HD audio. In the sound options menu there is a slider at the top which allows you to select the sound mode.

Hmm... your comments surprised me. Hope it's available on US PSN today so I can try it myself. I will most likely still buy it but I can use a lowered expectation. ;-)

I think I just don't like the game. Feel free to make your own opinion.

I really loved System Shock 2. And in many ways I think that ruined the way I could appreciate Bioshock. Atmosphere wise I just could not ever fully get into Bioshock. I thought it was glitchy. There was always something annoying me and taking me out of the game. I thought maybe because I experienced it on a PC I was not getting the authors original intent. But now I see that was not the issue.

tried the PS3 demo

the frame rate is TERRIBLE when compared to the 360 version which was locked at 30

and having L2 R2 as firing button is just a joke

which alone tells how little these devs understand PS3

not buying this one for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
tried the PS3 demo

the frame rate is TERRIBLE when compared to the 360 version which was locked at 30

and having L2 R2 as firing button is just a joke

which alone tells how little these devs understand PS3

not buying this one for sure

So wait you are saying that the game's framerate is experiencing problems then all of the effort that the game dev said they were putting was not properly done.

Pros: Water looks reworked a bit, large bodies look like they flow nicer.

Cons:Animation system still needs fixing
Control sensitivity still an issue

I thought the framerate was fine but the animation and edges were as prominent as previous versions, I was under the impression they were both fixed. Textures and sound are still nice. I had heard of improvements but I don't see them, I suppose it is identical to the 360 version from the demo but I expected more.

I think this may be an old build, if its not then I am buying the PC version, even if I have to get a 360 controller to play it like I want to.

The final version should have the option to lock the framerate or not, just like in the 360 version. At least that's what I read on all the big sites.

For starters, I can't fathom why anybody would buy the same game on more than one platform.

Is this something that is a common occurance for some of you?

Second, I don't know what is referred to as 'feeling glitchy' with the graphics, audio, or atmosphere in the demo. The 360 demo was smooth, and really beyond words as to how amazing it is.

Either the PS3 demo is suffering from serious issues, or yes.. you just don't like the game for some reason. The Bioshock demo is without a doubt the best demo I've ever played, immediately submerged me in the atmosphere of the game, with the mystery and wonder and I couldn't wait to go out and purchase the entire game after playing it.

Then again, as I've said, I don't get how if you played one version and didn't 'get it' why you would think playing the same game on a different platform would some how affect you differently.

didn't notice any glitchy graphics, and the framerate wasn't terrible imo. there were 2 places in the demo where the framerate noticeably dropped, but it was still playable. stayed right around 30fps for the most part with some minor slowdowns. visually it looked fine to me.

one thing i didn't like was the default controls, and there was no option to customize them.

tried the PC demo way back when it came out and wasn't a big fan of it. i prefer to play games on console so i might pick this up when the price come down a bit... i don't think i could spend 60 bucks on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back