Bioshock PS3*

Ya that is a bad texture, I will rent the full version. If it is bad I'm going PC/360 controller and not looking back.

If it is the same resolution like the early shots were there shouldn't be more jagged edges, I'm surprised since the shots and comparison vids looked identical.

I'm still waiting to see if it was an old demo, if not then what happened and what did the previewers play to say equal or better?

Played the demo, apart from better water physics and the odd texture glitch it is no different to the 360 demo. I have it on PC so I won't be buying another copy, after all the PC version is superior simply through being able to apply AA.

Played the demo, apart from better water physics and the odd texture glitch it is no different to the 360 demo. I have it on PC so I won't be buying another copy, after all the PC version is superior simply through being able to apply AA.

Assuming of course that you don't care about any of the PS3's extras, which you probably don't. ;)

Did someone forget to photoshop out the green "A" button prompt?

Nevermind. Didn't see the pictures at the top, stupid "view unread" button

Wow.. that's horrible. I remember seeing a couple instances of texture pop-in on the X360 version, but it always started off as a blank mesh.. I don't remember seeing any low-res textures like that. Looks like a glitch in the LOD system, maybe.. those look like the sort of textures you're supposed to look at from across the room.

I'm still waiting to see if it was an old demo, if not then what happened and what did the previewers play to say equal or better?

This better be an old demo. It's far blurrier, has worse textures, worse frame rate, and the color is shot as well compared to the shipped 360 build. It's lost that Bioshock 'look' in translation, which is half the appeal of this game. If previewers have claimed that both versions are the same, then they are either blind, on crack, or on the payroll. MazingerDUDE is right, night and day difference between this port and the original.

If this is indeed the final version, then 2K needs a post mortem to explain what the heck went wrong and why.

Where exactly is that particular scene with the pixelated model? I can't seem to find it in the PS3 demo.

Its after you see someone who gets killed by Big Daddy because he attacked the girl. Exactly after that area the corpse of big daddy lies down the stairs.

edit:
Apparently some people are asking questions in 2Kgames' forums and the developers are replying.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22894

Regarding the pixelated big daddy here is what someone said

First, I want to thank you for the acute attention to detail and the Spartan level of expectation our most devoted BioShock fans hold us to, and how excited you are and attentive to the BioShock PS3 demo. When we saw a post asking about issues found in the demo, we jumped on it immediately. And you know what, you're right. The texture in the PS3 demo of the downed Big Daddy does not match our level of quality either. This slipped by. We admit it. However, I want to assure you that this is an exception, and not a rule, and while I regret this oversight, we put a lot of love into making this game look amazing for the PS3 and I'm sure that when you play the rest of the demo you will agree that the textures are not all like this one instance.

As for the other issues and concerns, we are currently diligently working to replicate any bugs, and will report back to you with what we find. Thank you for your vigilance here and moving forward.

Also it looks like some of the blurriness is experienced because the game forces itself to run at 1080p even if you didnt force it through the display options of the console. It is advised to uncheck the 1080i/p option completely from the settings

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i'm guessing its scaled via software scaling as the PS3's scaler is not very good. wonder why they defaulted to 1080p... hopefully they don't for the retail game. weird thing is, if i set it to 720p, i actually see more of the white bars than i do at 1080p.

other than the Big Daddy textures, i thought it looked identical to the 360 version, but the framerate is definitely worse, but i wouldn't say its bad either.

When we saw a post asking about issues found in the demo, we jumped on it immediately. And you know what, you're right. The texture in the PS3 demo of the downed Big Daddy does not match our level of quality either. This slipped by. We admit it. However, I want to assure you that this is an exception, and not a rule, and while I regret this oversight, we put a lot of love into making this game look amazing for the PS3 and I'm sure that when you play the rest of the demo you will agree that the textures are not all like this one instance.

Cool, thanks for posting this.

Will still get the game given people's recommendations and the developers' sincerity. They mentioned possible Home integration too, I want to see the complete picture when all is said and done (by Sony).

Looks like a blur filter as someone has said already, while it's not great I prefer it to the classic "plastic" Unreal Engine look in the 360 version.

this look sharper with more detail in the 360 pic to my eye. (switching between the two)

PS3
Yeah, well I didn't have access to these comparison shots before... it's a lot easier to spot differences when you A-B screen grabs on a high-res monitor. after viewing these shots, the PS3 version is clearly blurrier. textures, resolution and colors look the same, but as DJ12 mentioned, there seems to be a blur filter. there also seems to be more bloom in certain areas in the PS3 version.

One lesson that should be learned about this port is that single-console oriented sites should never ever be trusted in their statements regarding competing consoles. PSU.com's quote from the first page of the thread looks totally absurd now.

Back