BEHOLD, A CELL Q&A website!!!!!! (CELL to cost $100?!?!)

PC-Engine said:
rabidrabbit said:
I'm not giving up:
Redundancy check
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
In telecommunication, a redundancy check is extra data added to a message for the purposes of error detection and error correction.

Simple redundancy checks are known as checksums.
To me (remember I know very very little about computer rchitecture or programming) the "reserved for redundancy" on the 8th Cell SPE sounds more like it has reserved function(s) like error correction (would good error correction be even more important in a parallel system like Cell?) and maybe drm.

Error Correction? Errors are called bugs. I don't think there is a chip designed to do debugging. That's the responsibility of the programmer and game testers.
But wasn't there some talk about:
- On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection
and somethin about "self repair" capability built in
?

rabidrabbit said:
PC-Engine said:
rabidrabbit said:
I'm not giving up:
Redundancy check
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
In telecommunication, a redundancy check is extra data added to a message for the purposes of error detection and error correction.

Simple redundancy checks are known as checksums.
To me (remember I know very very little about computer rchitecture or programming) the "reserved for redundancy" on the 8th Cell SPE sounds more like it has reserved function(s) like error correction (would good error correction be even more important in a parallel system like Cell?) and maybe drm.

Error Correction? Errors are called bugs. I don't think there is a chip designed to do debugging. That's the responsibility of the programmer and game testers.
But wasn't there some talk about:
- On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection
and somethin about "self repair" capability built in
?

You mean like a self healing computer? That was talking about a GRID. That's on a macro level. On a micro level ECC is used for memory. Logic uses redundacy for example if you have say 70 ALUs but you only need to use 64 just like the SPEs. I guess you can loosely equate error correction with redundancy. Also a chip or block dedicated to DRM or security is not the same as redundancy.

There's often more than one meaning for a word (especially in English). To know the right one you need to know context...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=redundancy

re·dun·dan·cy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-dndn-s)
n. pl. re·dun·dan·cies
1. The state of being redundant.
2. Something redundant or excessive; a superfluity.
3. Repetition of linguistic information inherent in the structure of a language, as singularity in the sentence It works.
4. Excessive wordiness or repetition in expression.
Chiefly British.
- The state or fact of being unemployed because work is no longer offered or considered necessary.
- A dismissal of an employee from work for being no longer necessary; a layoff.
5 Electronics. Duplication or repetition of elements in electronic equipment to provide alternative functional channels in case of failure.
6 Repetition of parts or all of a message to circumvent transmission errors.

Usage Note: The usages that critics have condemned as redundancies fall into several classes. Some expressions, such as old adage, mental telepathy, and VAT tax have become fixed expressions and seem harmless enough. In some cases, such as consensus of opinion, hollow tube, and refer back, the use of what is regarded as an unnecessary modifier or qualifier can sometimes be justified on the grounds that it in fact makes a semantic contribution. Thus a hollow tube can be distinguished from one that has been blocked up with deposits, and a consensus of opinion can be distinguished from a consensus of judgments or practice. Some locutions, such as close proximity, have been so well established that criticizing them may seem petty. See Usage Note at rarely. See Usage Note at refer.
Our Living Language Although certain vernacular constructions, such as the double comparative and superlative constructions (as in more higher and most fastest) are scorned as unschooled redundancies, many fundamental features of Standard English, such as subject-verb agreement, also manifest redundancy in their double marking. For example, in She sits on the chair, the -s inflection on sit indicates that the subject of the sentence is a third-person-singular form. However, this information is redundantit is conveyed by she. Standard English pronoun forms may encode redundancies too. Subject pronouns are nominative, and direct object pronouns are objective (for example, I saw him and He saw me); these distinctive forms are technically not necessary, however, since normal English word order makes evident whether a pronoun refers to a subject or object. Nevertheless, standard practice requires the avoidance of constructions such as double comparatives except when they are employed for rhetorical or comical effect.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

redundancy

n 1: repetition of messages to reduce the probability of errors in transmission 2: the attribute of being superfluous and unneeded; "the use of industrial robots created redundancy among workers" [syn: redundance] 3: (electronics) a system design that duplicates components to provide alternatives in case one component fails 4: repetition of an act needlessly

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

redundancy

1. <parallel> The provision of multiple interchangeable
components to perform a single function in order to cope with
failures and errors. Redundancy normally applies primarily to
hardware.
For example, one might install two or even three
computers to do the same job. There are several ways these
could be used. They could all be active all the time thus
giving extra performance through parallel processing as well
as extra availability; one could be active and the others
simply monitoring its activity so as to be ready to take over
if it failed ("warm standby"); the "spares" could be kept
turned off and only switched on when needed ("cold standby").
Another common form of hardware redundancy is disk
mirroring.

Redundancy can also be used to detect and recover from errors,
either in hardware or software. A well known example of this
is the cyclic redundancy check which adds redundant data to
a block in order to detect corruption during storage or
transmission. If the cost of errors is high enough, e.g. in a
safety-critical system, redundancy may be used in both
hardware AND software with three separate computers programmed
by three separate teams and some system to check that they all
produce the same answer, or some kind of majority voting
system.

2. <communications> The proportion of a message's gross
information content that can be eliminated without losing
essential information.

Technically, redundancy is one minus the ratio of the actual
uncertainty to the maximum uncertainty. This is the fraction
of the structure of the message which is determined not by the
choice of the sender, but rather by the accepted statistical
rules governing the choice of the symbols in question.

[Shannon and Weaver, 1948, p. l3]

[Better explanation?]

(1995-05-09)
If people really want to go on arguing semantics, by all means do. There's plenty of scope to interpret English in different ways. But if the 8th SPE in my PS3 actually serves an active, functional purpose, I'll eat it. :D

Shifty Geezer said:
If people really want to go on arguing semantics, by all means do. There's plenty of scope to interpret English in different ways. But if the 8th SPE in my PS3 actually serves an active, functional purpose, I'll eat it. :D

Semantics is what makes lawyers rich. English can be such an obtuse language which some people can easily use(Bill Clinton) to hide or obscure any point. That aside, if they used the term disabled or superfluous we would not be arguing but the use of the two words “reserved and functionsâ€￾ to redundancy and it leaves the door open. For example I could state that in my small business I have two accountant’s so one is redundant. But if one works on the income statement while the other does the balance sheet it does not change the fact that one is redundant but two can do the same amount of work faster.

Guys the extra one is there to help yields . IT wont be used for anything else .

Its like what they do x800s . Those that hit the targets were 16x520 and those that had problems were 12x475. That is whats going to happen here and I'm asuming those with all 8 working well will be used for the servers they are planing or will just have one disabled anyway .

Back