Batch File Help

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I am using a batch file to do some complicated overclocking on my notebook. The A64 in here is really picky about when the RAM clock can change: it has to be at 800Mhz first. So, I set up a batch file to first set the FID to 4x using Clockgen, then apply the RAM settings with a line for A64Tweaker, then return the CPU to 9x FID using Clockgen again.

It works fabulously. Though I had to remove AMD's processor driver to get it to work 100%....or the CPU would sometimes change clock during the batch and lock up the system. So, now I'm planning to use RMClock to replace the normal Powernow functions.

My question is, is there a way to start a program within a batch file and still have the batch file quit? It's easy enough to start RMClock within the batch, but the batch file never ends that way.... And starting RMClock elsewhere is not an option because if it starts while the batch is running, it will lock up the system.

Eh?

Sure can. If you're on a Win2K or later system, just use the "start" command. Example:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
<insert your batch logic here>
start "c:\program files\cpumsr\cpumsr.exe" -d6 -a0844

I threw CPUMSR in there with some false command lines, but you get the idea. Your batch will exit as soon as the external application is started. Should be near-instantaneous.

Not to gloat, but I'm pretty stinkin' good with batch commands, especially in archaic DOS systems :) I maintain our corporate BootCD, which contains a significant amount of batch logic to autodetect machine types, physical network location awareness, and a ton of other stuff. We use it for large-scale imaging of workstations and servers.

Back