Banjo Threeie

Thanks for the videos! I just paid for a pre-order yesterday at GameStop. $40 and a free BK XBLA game? Excellent value! The new videos confirmed my excitement in the vehicle creation mechanism. I've never played a BK game before. So it's going to an interesting experience. The family(wife and kids) should enjoy it as well.

Tommy McClain

Anyone willing to give a run down of how the MP plays out in this title (or a handy link overviewing such)? I could care less about the SP platforming; but if you can build your own vehicles and then race and/or combat (ala Twisted Metal/V8) that could be quite interesting.

I haven't seen a lot about the BK3 MP modes so I was happy to see that IGN had a MP preview. A short summary and some quotes:

BK3 offers splitscreen MP as well as up to 8 players over Live. The game offers a "beginner" mode where everyone gets stock vehicles to use in the challenges and offers a level playing field.
For those who have built up a large number of blue prints (either through the SP or through online) can go to "Pro" mode where you can design your own vehicles. Idealy you will have a specific vehicle tailored to each MP gameplay mode.

Build vehicles with friends online and share blueprints; a dozen or so online modes with single and team based gameplay:

Thankfully, there's a test track that can be accessed while online in a party. You can be online and simply work on building rides, alleviating some of the pain of pre-planning. You can also trade blueprints, which should allow some bad designers to get more fun out of the multiplayer game than they normally would. Simply find a friend with a good vehicle and ask for the blueprint, then modify it to fit your style, and you're set.

Once you have a good ride for each of the challenges -- and you'll want vehicles custom built for each one -- you're ready to play... a few of the dozen or so modes. Most, if not all, appear to be pulled from the single-player game and then modified to work with more people. Each can also be played with teams on or off.

Some of the various modes:

There's the aforementioned boat race, a king of the hill-type game and an aerial combat deathmatch, as well as a few others, that fill out the traditional match types. Then there are the more exotic modes: There's a Crazy Taxi-esque long jump off of a ramp for distance. There's a game of golf where each player tries to knock their ball into a ring with as few touches as possible. We also tried a game of free-for-all soccer where each player had to knock one of several balls into their goal.

Sounds interesting, but I would guess some will be funner than others. Kind of sounds like a mix mash of a party game, a racing game, and a user generated content approach. Hopefully the end product is well balanced and a lot of fun. It appears that it isn't a "pick up and play" experience so hopefully it is engaging and fun enough to hook people.

Boating video

Soccer

Personally I hope the racing has a fair number of tracks and is well designed :)

I'm only a Silver member. I'd (we'd!) really appreciate impressions iceberg (stating the bleedin' obvious I know).

I'm not sure I'm going to download the demo. I've already got it on pre-order and I'm not sure I want to spoil the experience. I've tried a new policy of not trying too look at too many early videos, demos & other coverage. I've pretty much stayed away from everything Gears2 related too. Anyway, guess I'll wait for some first impressions before I decide.

Tommy McClain

Hmm, this was the main reason for me going to the Eurogamer Exhibition this evening and now theres a demo out. Bah! Oh well, probably go anyway :)

I downloaded and played a bit this morning. First of all, the visuals are down right amazing. They're sharp, detailed and colorful.

I didn't finish the demo but unlocked one of the worlds. The area was huge as was the draw distance. I made some vehicles and played around with them. It's not super technical but you do need to think how to make the vehicle for the objective needed. I had to get into work so I'll finish it up tonight and see how far they let you progress.

Too bad MS will send it to die without any promotion :(

I downloaded and played a bit this morning. First of all, the visuals are down right amazing. They're sharp, detailed and colorful.

I didn't finish the demo but unlocked one of the worlds. The area was huge as was the draw distance. I made some vehicles and played around with them. It's not super technical but you do need to think how to make the vehicle for the objective needed. I had to get into work so I'll finish it up tonight and see how far they let you progress.

Too bad MS will send it to die without any promotion :(

I'm guessing that they think the $39.99 is enough. It isn't and I hope to see some commercials for this. A game of this caliber deserves it. Looks way better than the almighty Gears of War 2 does and this engine is only going to get better in time.

Spent a few hours with the demo and had a lot of fun. When I first pre ordered this game it was due to the package deal of the XBLA game + this for only $40.00 Now that I spent over 2.5hours on the demo, I feel like I'm robbing Rare. There's plenty of platforming to be had. I spent a fair bit of time collecting pieces in Showdown Town and having to use quite a few tricks, platforming style.

The vehicle creation system will take you upto 30mins to grab. Once you do, it's very smooth and you can make some really cool stuff, even in the demo. When I got to Banjo Land, I went through the various ways of collecting Jiggies. Got them all and returned to Showdown Town. Got all excited that a new world opened up! When I tried to go and it turned out to be the end of the demo :( Nice bait Rare. Well played. There's a lot of subtle humor and such all throughout and that was ultimate joke on me.

All that aside, the place where this game really stands out above anything else is the presentation. The graphics are just downright jaw dropping. Super sharp, crisp, VERY detailed with lots of color and no jaggie in sight. 720p 4xAA would be my guess. Even the shadows look great on everything, which is something that many games fail to do right. This makes the Unreal Engine on 360 games look weak. The audio score is perfect. The controls quite well.

The only complaint I had about the demo was the text. It often went by too fast and the font was hard to read. For $40 with or without XBLA version of Banjo HD, this game is a steal and a must have. Shame on those who let this slide and a MUCH bigger shame on Microsoft if they don't put some good promotion dollars towards this.

I really enjoyed the demo. I was already excited for Nuts and Bolts, but the demo completely sold me on it. The vehicle editor is pretty intuitive. I spent a good amount of time just building different vehicles and taking them to the test-o-track. Some didn't turn out so great. :LOL: It's impressive what you can create with the limited number of parts. I tried the pre-built vehicles given to you by Humba, but I found those weren't very effective, except for the racer. I ended building a similar vehicle to one of the pre-built one's with the U shaped front. I just made the U a little bigger and added a spring to shoot the balls into the goal instead of having to push them all the way through. One thing I was concerned with was how the vehicles would handle, but I thought they handled fairly well. I thought the challenge where you're defending Clanker's eyes was bit tedious. The others I had fun with. While you're in vehicles most of the time, there's still some traditional platforming in Showdown Town. Nuts and Bolts is very charming and the Banjo humor is very much still intact. Music and presentation is excellent. It's something different. There's really nothing quite like it on the 360 and I'm very much looking forward to playing the full game.

I can see this game being holiday 09's bundled game. ITs really fun but there is no marketing behind it.

This and viva piniata 2 would make great pack ins esp compared to the games this year.

Can't understand the "no marketing" comments. $40 AND a free XBLA game when you pre-order? Plus, it will be up front on the new dashboard for everybody to see. As for bundling, makes sense next holiday but not right after it comes out. Those bundles get put together months in advance and it's yet to appear at retail.

Tommy McClain

In terms of marketing, FWIW, I tried the new Amazon.com tile view a few days back and this was the first title that showed up under video games. I dont believe its because its really a top seller or anything, so MS may be putting some muscle behind it.

I'm read a few people's impressions of the game and it's striking how unimaginative or just outright slow people are. The whining about the difficulty of challenges is amazing. The eyes challenge, for example. They just fault the game because default vehicles won't let them win.

There's nothing difficult about that challenge if you're willing to think.

Take a vehicle blueprint like the Racer for example:

Redo the power setup so there's only ONE engine. Having too much power on a slippery slope will lead to bad handing. Just one engine makes the vehicle very controllable for that challenge. Add 2 springs to each end at the front and a egg launcher in the middle. When you're up close launch em away with the spring and shoot when you can. That's it. Instead of spending 2 mins to think it through they'll spend 20mins doing the same thing over and over and calling it flaw.

Then you have people who can't even do the punt challenge. I have no idea how a person is incapable of such basic thought process. Gamers love to pretend like they're intelligent by being able to play games but give them something that requires thinking and they'll run to the internet and complain.

Back