Banjo Threeie

Yeah, people ignore games in the 7 category too often. I'm actually pretty happy if my most anticipated game scores at least a 7. I got Turok even though it received mostly 7's and I was pretty happy with it.

More Reviews:

IGN - 8.3

Hardcore gamers that can look past the bubbly look and goofy sound effects will enjoy Banjo. That is if they can also get past the deliberate planning needed to succeed. You'll often spend more time designing a vehicle for a challenge than you will actually playing the challenge. That's fine by me; I'm the kind of person that gets great satisfaction from watching my creativity and work pay off. Now, if you're the kind of gamer that prefers constant action with a good flow, this might not be the game for you.

Videogamer - 9

Something we haven't been able to spend too much time with is the multiplayer offering, both on a single console (two players) and over Xbox LIVE (eight players), but what we've played is very good indeed. Various multiplayer events are on offer in race, combat or athletic disciplines, either allowing the use of pre-made vehicles or user created monstrosities. Playing with others using what the game shipped with didn't really do much for us to be honest, especially in the race events, but as soon as you start using your own vehicles against others that are doing the same, the competition goes up a notch and great fun ensues. It's like the video game version of Robot Wars we always wanted. With support for parties (and a second player on the same console to go online), and the ability to just mess about in the test area, a lot of people are going to really enjoy the multiplayer shenanigans Nuts & Bolts has to offer.

TeamXbox - 7.4

Nuts and Bolts isn’t a bad title, but to my thinking it’s a game that will most appeal to a niche audience. Sure, there’s large quantity of gameplay as you seek out the more than 130 Jiggies there are to collect and try to fully unlock the entire world; and a log of that gameplay is a fun romp in a wild universe. The main issue is that there are a ton of games out this holiday season that are fun from start to finish, while Nuts and Bolts will probably take most of you up to a point before you lose interest in the Lego-like construction projects and the pursuit to beat all of the challenges. I predict that many Xbox 360 owners will put Nuts and Bolts on their list of games they’d like to try out, rather than considering it a “must-have title.”

I enjoyed the demo and for $40 with the free XBLA game, it's hard to find a better value. I'll likely play the XBLA version first though :)

Man, Showdown Town is huge. Yeah, I gave up. I've been playing the demo. Just wished it had a save function. That way I wouldn't have to replay everything come full version.

Tommy McClain

I went to GameStop today to pay off my pre-order. They went ahead and gave me my free code for Banjo XBLA. Searched the net and found some others got theirs early too, but that they're not active yet. Probably not till Tuesday. Oh well. ;)

Tommy McClain

I enjoyed the demo and for $40 with the free XBLA game, it's hard to find a better value. I'll likely play the XBLA version first though :)

The bad point for us, French and I think all Europeans, it's the game will be selled like VP:TIP…*55-60€… So Eurogamer review it with this price in Mind.

I got my pre-order code for BK XBLA on Saturday and they finally activated it this morning. Never played BK before, but I had a good time playing some old school platforming. Evidentlly I'm not real good at it though. LOL Mainly got it for the wife and kids. Wife is playing it right now and she seems to like it, but it's still early. ;) BTW, the Stop N Swap feature from what I can tell isn't fully activated till you get BK Nuts & Bolts. Good luck and have fun!

Tommy McClain

If this game wasn't sent off to die enough as it, now MS or Gamestop have royally screwed up the pre order codes. Many stores got something pitiful like 2 codes to give out. Well done morons.

Still waiting on my code from Play, they say they've shipped the game though. Hmm working from home tomorrow as well :)

I got the game Wednesday afternoon from GameStop exactly when they said it would be available. I had contemplated pre-ordering on Amazon, but all the horror stories has definitely scared me off of that.

I haven't had a chance to play the game yet. My system came down with the dreaded "Unreadable Disc" error. At least it's not the RROD. Good thing I bought that extra year of warranty for $30. I'll be sending it in as soon as I get NXE installed next week. I didn't want to miss out on all the festivities. ;)

Tommy McClain

Nobody playing this yet? All this talk leading up to the release and not one impression or review? Wow.

Tommy McClain

Mine is still in the wrapper. I'm waiting to see if gamestop will give me a XBLA code or not. If they do, I'll play it, if not, I'll return it.

Yep am playing it, great fun though I had to buy a communicator keyboard thingy as naming my vehicles with the virtual keyboard was driving me nuts. Fantastic game , just really difficult to describe to people.

Yep naming your vehicles is annoying as hell. Putting together a bunch of vehicles takes too long when you have to give them all names you'll remember.

I spent a good couple of hours on this last night and it appears to be one of those games that rewards a few quiet moments of thought rather than the brute-force multiple-attempt strategy or split-second reflexes. I've been building specific vehicles per challenge in an effort to get the TT Trophy on the first attempt at each mission. Overall it's enjoyable and I'll probably sink a lot of "passive" time into this - compared to the short, intense time I'll put into Gears 2 for example.

One thing I'm really mad about... the local EB didn't get their BK XBLA pre-order codes yet. They said they'd call when they come in, but I'm not holding my breath. I really want what I bloody paid for there... any options? Any other Aussies in this boat?

Gamespot says it an 8.5 game

The Good

• Vehicular creation tool is robust and easy to use
  • Missions can be tackled in a variety of creative ways
  • Visuals are distinct and inviting
  • Soundtrack provides a great backdrop
  • Lots of replay value and a cool multiplayer mode.
The Bad

• Control for land vehicles is touchy
  • Frame-rate drops are infrequent but still punishing.

Picked this up finally, put it in my 360... and the damn thing RRODs, hahaha.
Have to figure out what I'm gonna do now, since it's an imported machine and the warranty doesn't quite apply.

Picked this up finally, put it in my 360... and the damn thing RRODs, hahaha.
Have to figure out what I'm gonna do now, since it's an imported machine and the warranty doesn't quite apply.

Ouch! Is a replacement Arcade not an option? They're really cheap in the UK, (relatively speaking of course). And no, I'm not a RRoD apologist! But given the bind you're in... :|

Ouch! Is a replacement Arcade not an option? They're really cheap in the UK, (relatively speaking of course). And no, I'm not a RRoD apologist! But given the bind you're in... :|

No such thing. Cheapest local, legit option is 60GB with PGR4 and Too Human, at about $1000USD. There are cheaper options, but none comes with a warranty (quick check tells me cheapest is ~$550). A friend knows a guy who can fix it, which I've been told actually works well, but I also know it's not 100%.

Back