Baldur's Gate III announced!

My paladin just finished Act 2 tonight, 32 hours in so far. I went with this class since I played the original games with a paladin for the first play through with each, using the same name with BG3 for nostalgia purposes. But I also have a ton of alts, including a Dark Urge half-orc way of the fist/tavern brawler monk who wrecked havoc across Act 1's areas and killed/chased off 4 companions before making it to the Underdark.

The day the first game was released, only my local Best Buy had copies. I called, they set one aside for me, but there was one little problem: we'd had a LOT of snowfall the night before. Our house was new, we'd just moved in weeks prior, and the snow plows didn't yet realize that the 3 driveways hanging off that half-moon section of the street needed cleared too. So after shovelling our driveway, I was still looking at about 30 feet of snow too deep for my Honda Civic. Not to be deterred, I got the car turned around in the driveway so it was facing the street, reversed it back into the garage, reeved the engine and shot down the driveway, hoping to gain enough speed to make it through that half-moon to the cleared street. Didn't work out, but I got close. Shovelled to the rest of the way there, clearing around the tires, and made it to the store, got my copy, and then got stuck on the way home. Shovelled out again, made it home with that big box and its 6 CDs, and within hours was in love. But in my memory the real villain of the game was not Sarevok but that damn snow. 1st world nerd struggles, right?

1) Saves should have been the first thing to be worked out when releasing the game in early access. The game is still only available on pc and they had issues with saves not working. 3 years to fix the issues with saves https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=a8d3...aXMtZ29pbmctdG8tYnJlYWsteW91ci1zYXZlcy8&ntb=1

dating all the way back to 2020 with this

2) So few ? https://www.polygon.com/23834387/baldurs-gate-3-patch-1-patch-2 first patch after release targeted 1,000 bugs and introduced its own bugs that needed patching

3) they are going to be working on this for a long time. they had to already disable playstation cross saves because it broke their saves again. Now they are going to have to fix that and hopefully they don't introduce new bugs with xbox and cross saves with steam .

The game is great , but the technical issues surrounding this game are no better and in some ways worse than other games with big issues. Not only that but messaging with cross-play for both steam deck and xss is a disaster.

I hope for the devs sake that MS helps them migrate over to dx12
So the game can run slower for no reason?

1) Saves should have been the first thing to be worked out when releasing the game in early access. The game is still only available on pc and they had issues with saves not working. 3 years to fix the issues with saves https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=a8d3...aXMtZ29pbmctdG8tYnJlYWsteW91ci1zYXZlcy8&ntb=1

dating all the way back to 2020 with this

2) So few ? https://www.polygon.com/23834387/baldurs-gate-3-patch-1-patch-2 first patch after release targeted 1,000 bugs and introduced its own bugs that needed patching

3) they are going to be working on this for a long time. they had to already disable playstation cross saves because it broke their saves again. Now they are going to have to fix that and hopefully they don't introduce new bugs with xbox and cross saves with steam .

The game is great , but the technical issues surrounding this game are no better and in some ways worse than other games with big issues. Not only that but messaging with cross-play for both steam deck and xss is a disaster.

I hope for the devs sake that MS helps them migrate over to dx12
1.) Which issue with saves? The November 2020 article you linked to was about breaking compatability during EA, which has not happened since launch. (Other than for a brief period where they had to roll back a hotfix)
2.) Again, I was talking about the hotfix, and bugs don't have to be mission breaking. The vast majority of the "bugs" patched so far were *not* mission breaking.
3.) What is the impact of PlayStation users not being able to use cross saves before the PS5 version is available?

Last edited:
I spoiled myself on some shit (immense amounts of spoilers) and I'm afraid this game is going to turn into a ME3, a game which I will never finish (multiplayer was great though, Electronic Arts saved the game for me). I always expected Larian writers considered themselves too good to write pure entertainment from the rather unagreeable Early Access companions, but it's sad nonetheless.

I read something from the Deju Vu script writer long ago named "Door Number 3". It's fine to surprise, but be careful by surprising with outcomes your audience doesn't want to see. I don't mind a little heroic sacrifice in my power fantasies, but fuck bait and switch and holding up the illusion of player agency as some kind of statement. Bait and switch is contempt and I return the contempt.

1.) Which issue with saves? The November 2020 article you linked to was about breaking compatability during EA, which has not happened since launch. (Other than for a brief period where they had to roll back a hotfix)
2.) Again, I was talking about the hotfix, and bugs don't have to be mission breaking. The vast majority of the "bugs" patched so far were *not* mission breaking.
3.) What is the impact of PlayStation users not being able to use cross saves before the PS5 version is available?
1) https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fix-baldur-gate-3-incompatible-140956685.html

Game has been avalible for 3 years now on steam. Still has steam issues

2) you can go through all the patch and hotfix notes there are ton of game breaking bugs that were fixed. Lots of random crashes , end of act crashes and other game affecting bugs

3) The issue is that if you downloaded the hotfix and played the game , those saves were no incompatible with the rolled back and now newer hotfix. So you lost all progress in the game. Guess that wouldn't be a huge problem for you however

Lets also not forget that the game is horribly optimized https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...-three-massively-hits-cpu-performance-but-why . The game could have used a lot more time in early access and would have benefited from a dx12 path

Would the game really have benefitted from a path that requires even more developer effort given the current performance struggles (presumably at least partly due to lack of dev time)?

The Vulkan path may be partly due to Stadia. Does XBox Series require DX12 or are we looking at DX11 or Vulkan via a wrapper?

Last edited:
Would the game really have benefitted from a path that requires even more developer effort given the current performance struggles (presumably at least partly due to lack of dev time)?
Not really, no issues here. I've yet to encounter any deal breaking bugs but maybe my progress is too slow due to how much I am enjoying every side quest. :whistle:

1) https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fix-baldur-gate-3-incompatible-140956685.html

Game has been avalible for 3 years now on steam. Still has steam issues

2) you can go through all the patch and hotfix notes there are ton of game breaking bugs that were fixed. Lots of random crashes , end of act crashes and other game affecting bugs

3) The issue is that if you downloaded the hotfix and played the game , those saves were no incompatible with the rolled back and now newer hotfix. So you lost all progress in the game. Guess that wouldn't be a huge problem for you however

Lets also not forget that the game is horribly optimized https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...-three-massively-hits-cpu-performance-but-why . The game could have used a lot more time in early access and would have benefited from a dx12 path
1.) From that article:

"This nasty bug occurred after an update, Hotfix #4, was introduced to the game and subsequently removed. There was a major issue with the update, which is why it was pulled, but having it removed means there’s a save data discrepancy. If you played after Hotfix #4 was installed, your save data is now ahead of the current version of the game."

This is exactly the hotfix issue I was talking about. It had nothing to do with the previous article you linked and was not a bug with the save system itself. Rather during the period that Hotfix #4 was rolled back, saves made in this version were not compatible with "current" (i.e previous) build. The error Larian made was not performing a proper QA pass on the hotfix, forcing the rollback. As soon as hotfix #4 re-released, everything was back to normal. So there was no ongoing save issue that Larian has failed to fix since EA. Just a stupid mistake they made pushing a build with compiler corruption.

2.) I did go through them. Hotfix 2 for examples lists 7 "potential" crashes in very specific situations, 2 "rare" crashes, and one UI crash. In terms of actual mission blockers I see a dialogue issue, a stuck companion issue, a blocker preventing entry into Shadowfell, and an issue that prevented the Ketheric boss fight from progressing. So I make that 4 progression blockers out of almost 300 issues that were fixed.

3.) This is the same issue as in 1.) And no, players didn't lose all progress, and yes, it did happen to me. I made a save in hotfix #4 which was rolled back and by the time I went to play the next day, the new hotfix was already out and I could load up my saves without any issue.

Edit: And to be clear, this had nothing to do with the PS5 cross save issue.

Double Edit: Ok, there was a second article you linked to. That article seems to reference the PS5 cross save bug.

Last edited:
A lot of cutscenes are not triggered if you don't long rest enough, and they're not queued :/ Such a dumb design, I hope they will fix this, I stoped played 30h in when I noticed that.

A lot of cutscenes are not triggered if you don't long rest enough, and they're not queued :/ Such a dumb design, I hope they will fix this, I stoped played 30h in when I noticed that.
you dont run with spellcasters that need long rest to get spell slots back?

you dont run with spellcasters that need long rest to get spell slots back?

Not enough it seems. I read that people are complaining about that since the EA, as you can miss importants part of the story, and it's subject to bug (like cutscenes X taking the place of cutscenes Y, and Y to never be triggered again).

Not enough it seems. I read that people are complaining about that since the EA, as you can miss importants part of the story, and it's subject to bug (like cutscenes X taking the place of cutscenes Y, and Y to never be triggered again).
i feel like im doing too much long rest, there are things that happen in the underdark that you can miss if you go to camp too much so its give and take i guess

They need to implement something else anyway. Maybe the Dragon Age Inquisition system ( queuing the scenes with dialogues) would be a decent compromise without the need to redo everything.
For a story driven game, it's a shame to ship like this.

They need to implement something else anyway. Maybe the Dragon Age Inquisition system ( queuing the scenes with dialogues) would be a decent compromise without the need to redo everything.
For a story driven game, it's a shame to ship like this.
well now you know for your next game

i have 1 solo game going and 2 coop games going and its been different outcomes in every one of them which makes it highly replayable

Still, it's wasting my time when I have to restart because of bugs, not because I want too (yet). And i love the game, I see myself doing multiple runs&co. But it is bad. That's not their first rpg, they should habe fixed this already. A some players won't even notice.

Still, it's wasting my time when I have to restart because of bugs, not because I want too (yet). And i love the game, I see myself doing multiple runs&co. But it is bad. That's not their first rpg, they should habe fixed this already. A some players won't even notice.
its patch 2 food i guess

August 28, 2023
Previous news had pointed to the game being delayed to next year as developer Larian Studios tried to find a way to make the split-screen local co-op functionality work correctly on the Xbox Series S. That's the reason the game isn't launching on Xbox consoles alongside the PlayStation 5 launch (scheduled for September 6th).

Following an in-person meeting with Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer at Gamescom 2023, Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke relayed the news to fans: Microsoft had budged on the parity clause between Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X versions, allowing the Belgian studio to release Baldur's Gate 3 without the split-screen local co-op feature on the less powerful console.

However, that doesn't mean Series S owners should drop all hopes of ever getting that feature. On the official Xbox Twitter account, Microsoft reps reassured them that the engineering work in collaboration with Larian would continue in the attempt to release split-screen co-op at a later date with a Baldur's Gate 3 patch. Of course, there's no telling if this will happen or, if it does, when. Still, it's important to see that Microsoft and Larian are still trying to avoid leaving Series S owners behind.

I'm still waiting that 60fps patch for redfall...so my faith on their promise of a patch is not currently high.
Yeah, it's nice to know their still working on it.
But this is one of the situations they should've kept their mouth shut.
If it comes then 🎉
If it doesn't come (during every patch), XSS holding back generation, kept working on it and couldn't do it, and will now keep getting asked about it.

Back