Baldur's Gate III announced!

Platinum Games have easy mode, it's still normie accessible. They are nowhere near as niche as most Infinity Engine style RPGs. Even among those style of games, this stands out in just how much of a walking sim it is. Unless you're doing a genocide run you can go hours of mostly walking and a bit of talking without getting any real combat. You could make a normie accessible semi-isometric RPG, which leans heavier into action RPG and less walking and talking, where the gameplay and AI is balanced around you mainly controlling one character, same as FF7 remake. Something like Dragon Age 2, but not shit ... but BG3 is not that.

BG3 is not mainstream.
875,000 concurrent players doesn't seem bad for a game that is not "mainstream". It should be able to sell 10M copies at least, and 20M may be possible.

Patch 3 is semi-broken with a lot of mods BTW. If you use a trader, you have to make sure you turn it to barter before exiting to be able to use save (sometimes have to use the bottom left to start the trade window too to get it to save again).

Patch 3 is semi-broken with a lot of mods BTW. If you use a trader, you have to make sure you turn it to barter before exiting to be able to use save (sometimes have to use the bottom left to start the trade window too to get it to save again).
yep noticed that today myself, havent done anything like you did to find out why i just turned on barter each time

It's put on a pedestal as a mainstream 10/10 game and it just plain isn't
It clearly is a 10/10, for a lot of people.
I for one wouldn't call it perfect, but I like it lot.
I just don't get your criticism.
It's crystal clear when you point out bugs that may affect your experience, and that's perfectly understandable.
I don't get the whole "niche vs mainstream" thing, and I'd like to at least understand where you are coming from on that subject.
Or the review score thing.
After all a score is an average of opinions.
I'm certain you don't maintain that a 9.5/10 reviewed game-movie-book, is some kind of guaranty you are going to like it.

It's Larian jank, that's okay, that's what I expected.
Well if I people didn't like janky games, they wouldn't like Bethesda games as much as they do.
To me it sounds like the game is what you expected, but the reception of the game is not.

Around 20% of buyers finished D:OS2, around 50% finished ME2. If it's much different this time it's only because how well suited it is to play as a walking sim on easy mode, but I don't want to see those reviewed as games. As a CRPG these kinds of games are just not mainstream, even if normies get suckered into buying them as such.

As a CRPG it has terrible pacing of combat encounters relative to story/exploration and a clearly castrated final act.

but I don't want to see those reviewed as games. As a CRPG these kinds of games are just not mainstream, even if normies get suckered into buying them as such
Is this a "that's not my (put whatever you want here)" thing?
Genuine question, am I getting it right?

It's put on a pedestal as a mainstream 10/10 game and it just plain isn't. It's Larian jank, that's okay, that's what I expected.
jank or not, they are just passionate people who love to make videogames. Like how games were developed many years ago.

G1YeiBE.jpg

Before, videogame creation was in the hands of people like this.

4qJxRKa.jpg

Now, videogame creation is more like this.

5YqYYBO.jpg

Is this a "that's not my (put whatever you want here)" thing?
Genuine question, am I getting it right?

I doubt it's relevant, we'll see in 6 months or so. I think even the little combat, character building and inventory juggling there is will turn off the mainstream audience as surely as it did during D:OS2, even with far less combat.

I'm a RPG lite (Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout) person, with no interest in D&D and deep RPGs have never been my thing but I was kindly gifted BG3 on Steam and have been absolutely hooked this last week. I did need to spend a couple of hours learning the basics due to seeming lack any real tutorials and the UI being fairly complex but I'm loving it so far.

It's been a long time since I played a game which felt like it had so few limits on solving dilemmas.

No fix for the quest progression bug for Mizora? (Had to hack a progression flag with cheatengine.)

Around 20% of buyers finished D:OS2, around 50% finished ME2. If it's much different this time it's only because how well suited it is to play as a walking sim on easy mode, but I don't want to see those reviewed as games. As a CRPG these kinds of games are just not mainstream, even if normies get suckered into buying them as such.
well, I am one of those 80% that didn't complete DOS2, on Steam though I have 160h in it on Steam, but completed the game on GoG where I played it for 400 hours or so. That being said, you might have a point that Larian games might be not for everyone. They take time between combats and some episodes are just like A+ while others are C. This happens in DOS2 too, where the first act is just amazing, but other acts are not as perfectly tuned and connected as the first. Still, I love DOS series to death, but for a newbie it might take patience to start with them seriously. Cant wait for DOS3.

On a different note..

I've managed to get about 8 hours of this in at a friend's house on a LAN with all of us playing on 3080s and loving it so far. I'm a big 5e fan though and I DMed a long running 60+ session campaign a few years back. It faithfully captures the tabletop 5e and I'm really enjoying it.

I've managed to get about 8 hours of this in at a friend's house on a LAN with all of us playing on 3080s and loving it so far. I'm a big 5e fan though and I DMed a long running 60+ session campaign a few years back. It faithfully captures the tabletop 5e and I'm really enjoying it.

An actual LAN party?! That is impressive.

It's different, you play from a skyrim type viewpoint plus you can turn into a dragon (it also has a killer bunny)
I really enjoyed it

Last edited:
Does anyone know of updated performance data with respect to Act 3? Particularly for the CPU? The only comprehensive CPU comparison I'm aware of was done by pcgameshardware.de but that was with an Act 1 test at launch. Or if anyone has anecdotal experience with CPUs more on the end of the AMD 5600/x and Intel 12100/12400/12600k etc.

Helping someone spec a BG3 focused build (for 1440p60) and trying to see what the minimum you can get away with. Something in the 5600/12400 + 7600/6700/3060/4060 range maybe.

Back