Baldur's Gate III announced!

It was in early access for nearly three years, PC's the lead platform and it's an inhouse engine. They dodge a load of issues recent titles have experienced with that combination.

Having said that, cock clipping issues on release day are unacceptable.

and it only launched on a single platform

Most people are missing the fact that I am pointing out misses in the ign guy's video. Of course if you launch a game on a single platform it should have less issues than if you launch it on 3 platforms at once. But again Diablo 4 was playable on all 3 platforms at the same time and so was the newest starwars game.

Should all companies follow suit and put pc out first and then a month later put out another version of the game that may or may not work as well and then wait even longer to support a third platform ?

There is an interview of Larian's CEO addressing the x-Box "issue" a week (or maybe more), before the game came out.
It's from 44:20 and on, for anyone who is iinterested.

so... it seems like other games are experiencing the same RAM issue 'cos the console doesn't have enough memory to run two instances of the game, which is necessary for split screen.

Should all companies follow suit and put pc out first and then a month later put out another version of the game that may or may not work as well and then wait even longer to support a third platform ?

People seem to have no problem when the reverse is true (e.g. FF16 on PS5 first, PC maybe a year later). So why not?

Most of of the bugs fixed in this patch were presention issues. BG3 looks to be in a much better state than the majority of games released on PC. And this is despite pushing the release date nearly a full month back.
Agreed, while I have encountered a number of crashes / disconnects with LAN coop there are a lot less bugs than what could be expected from such a complex game.

Which is better between this and Diablo 4? My wife loves RPGs but isn't sure on the isometric viewpoint. She plays the likes of Skyrim, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and Elden Ring and I'm going to recommend one of these two to her as the next game.

Which is better between this and Diablo 4? My wife loves RPGs but isn't sure on the isometric viewpoint. She plays the likes of Skyrim, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and Elden Ring and I'm going to recommend one of these two to her as
Does she like storytelling and turnbased action, or mindless slaying of hordes?

I like ARPGs and slaying lots of monsters, in the vein of Diablo, but this is just on a completely different level with a lot of story, things to be discovered, and slow paced (turn based) fights.

Which is better between this and Diablo 4? My wife loves RPGs but isn't sure on the isometric viewpoint. She plays the likes of Skyrim, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and Elden Ring and I'm going to recommend one of these two to her as the next game.
They're not really similar games, IMO. Your list indicates she would far more enjoy BG3. Diablo is an ARPG, it's a fantasy setting loot grinder with a story/campaign to start you off only.

the isometric viewpoint is imho perfect to play on PC and in general for this game, but BG3 allows you to change the camera angle to a first person camera iirc. Imo you could go with BG3 just 'cos she likes RPGs more as you mention, 'cos taking decisions, D&D rules and stuff is more important in this game

If what she likes about those games, is the storytelling, then BG3.
If it's the loot and the action, then I guess Diablo?
I say "I guess" because in terms of action, D4 is not like the games you mentioned at all.

People seem to have no problem when the reverse is true (e.g. FF16 on PS5 first, PC maybe a year later). So why not?
I think a lot of people have a problem with it unless you are the owner of the first platform it releases on. I could only imagine the outcry if this came to the xbox and then had some nebulous we are working on the ps5 version at it might come at some later date.

BG3 is one of the best rated videogames to date, competing with some of the best games of all time. The average score is 97 on Metacritic based on 28 reviews, for now.

RPG Site scored it with a 100 today.

Ay54ylj.png

Additionally, Baldur's Gate 3 is the best scored game ever on Open Critic. And the best PG game ever in average scored of Metacritic.

It's a bit sad that Temple of Elemental Evil is soooo under the radar. BG3 seems to me an excellent continuation of ToEE mechanics, with a setting in a Baldur's Gate location. Although to me the soul of BG1/2 was always the Bhaal inheritance quest, not the location. Miss the radial menues though. :)

I think a lot of people have a problem with it unless you are the owner of the first platform it releases on. I could only imagine the outcry if this came to the xbox and then had some nebulous we are working on the ps5 version at it might come at some later date.

I wanted to play FF16 on PC, but I won't say the dev are "incompetent" because they released it on PS5 first.

I wanted to play FF16 on PC, but I won't say the dev are "incompetent" because they released it on PS5 first.

And if they said they couldn't get FF16 working on the pc you wouldn't think they were incompetent? I sure as hell would.

This seems like just playing the optics marketing game.

Realistically speaking there is no such thing as organic simultaneous releases. Any simultaneous release really just means the game was delayed on all but 1 platform. But of course it's been sold to the public as something that it's not.

And if they said they couldn't get FF16 working on the pc you wouldn't think they were incompetent? I sure as hell would.
Technically Larian didn't say they couldn't get it working. They said they needed more time. Just like Turn 10 need more time to get split screen working in Forza Motorsport 8. (Or 343 needed so much more time they decided to scrap the feature entirely).

Technically Larian didn't say they couldn't get it working. They said they needed more time. Just like Turn 10 need more time to get split screen working in Forza Motorsport 8. (Or 343 needed so much more time they decided to scrap the feature entirely).
Larian couldn't get it working in time to release it with the other platforms getting it. Turn 10 never announced the feature for launch to begin with and it's better not to launch a feature than to launch a broken feature like split screen in GT7 was.

No, because it's just a business decision, and everybody knows it.
Using FF16 as an example, the reason why it's a timed exclusive is simply because they did a deal with Sony, and Sony agreed to provide technical support, which they believe is valuable. No matter how large your company is, you need to allocate resources on something you believe is the most productive. It's kind of a gamble, because generally when you delay your launch on another platform, it won't sell as well as if you launch them at the same time.
I don't care if BG3 released on Xbox or not because I play it on PC, but I understand for those with Xbox could be disappointed, but releasing something on a platform is not just programming, there's also testing, especially for a game of this complexity, and I can understand why they want to focus their resources on PC version first, and then PS5, then maybe Xbox.

Larian couldn't get it working in time to release it with the other platforms getting it. Turn 10 never announced the feature for launch to begin with and it's better not to launch a feature than to launch a broken feature like split screen in GT7 was.
Larian also could also have delayed split screen for all platforms, since it was only announced a couple of months ago and was not part of the Early Access build. For all we know it was a late addition to development that was given limited resources.

Back