Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

watching again the reveal trailer on page one, the drawn distance for foliage was massive and impressive, now it's pretty distracting, even on a high end PC it seems, disappointed, but yeah foliage is hard to render in huge amount, only nanite could save us from this pop in. (for now)

Have people played the game here or something? The LOD for most of the game is really great - it is only in unobstructed flying views that it starts to show up more visibily. Most of the game is not flying.

This at least from my experience playing the pre-release version up until yesterday.

Have people played the game here or something? The LOD for most of the game is really great - it is only in unobstructed flying views that it starts to show up more visibily. Most of the game is not flying.

This at least from my experience playing the pre-release version up until yesterday.
I was just going by the PCGH video posted a few back. I assume it would be max settings.

Edit - Gamersyde has some videos up now.

Last edited:

yeah it's pretty obvious only in flying sequences, on ground that looks quite well handled.

No wonder Alex is happy. None crap PC version aside, the benchmark looks like it has good configurability and data output.

No wonder Alex is happy. None crap PC version aside, the benchmark looks like it has good configurability and data output.

wow! Has there ever been an in-game, or even dedicated benchmark, even close to that level of detail?

It's a superb level of detail, and I particularly like the breakdown of VRAM usage which might explain a lot about how other games use VRAM too. That said, I had t lol at this:

· DLSS 3.5 (no Frame Generation, no Ray Reconstruction)

Ubisoft is plenty smart here: basically set themselves up as the next 3D mark for hardware. Going to be seeing avatar in every single benchmark for a long time coming

The PC Benchmark for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora allows for fully automated testing via starting the game with specific command line options. When the game is run from the Ubisoft Connect app, additional command line parameters can be supplied via the properties menu for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora: Under "Game launch arguments" the button "add command line arguments" allows for adding command line parameters. The following table describes the available command line parameter options:

-unlockmaxsettingsUnlock the additional "Unobtanium" preset that exceeds the "Ultra" preset. Unlocks also the corresponding extended values for some graphics settings used by the "Unobtanium" preset. This preset is extremely difficult to run on currently available hardware and is meant to really stress future hardware to keep theAvatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC Benchmark relevant for years to come.

Hiding those extreme settings behind a commandline argument is a smart way to do it.
If you put them in the menu, there will be outrage as "the game runs like crap" even if the highest preset would only have Ultra settings in them. If you opt not to grant access to those extreme visuals in fear of the angry mob of idiots, the 4090 1080p gamers, photo mode enjoyers and future players will have to settle with Ultra or tinker with config files or mods.

The DF video on this was excellent, not just from a technical perspective, but talked about gameplay as well. It should be noted that one of the features is that you can largely ignore a lot of the standard Ubisoft stuff and focus purely on the story, where it then becomes a beautiful vast single player game. that likely fans of the Avatar world would very much enjoy.

It’s yet another generic, Ubisoft open world slog. Far Cry: Avatars of Pandora.
Why always Ubisoft? Spiderman, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima. Days Gone, Zelda are all in the same boat as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and co.
insomniac games has made 3 Spiderman games in the last 5 years which are all very similar. That's what I call generic.

Avatar is probably more exciting to play. For me it's like Crysis in some places. Finally Crysis again after so many years. In many gameplay parts it's so well realized that I hope that Crysis 4 can keep up with it.

Apart from plot, dialog, characters etc. the craftsmanship is quite good. It's a game which is just made for entertainment. That's what I would also say about the other mentioned games.

Last edited:
Why always Ubisoft? Spiderman, Horizon, Zelda are the same as Far Cry and co. Especially as Avatar is probably more exciting to play. For me it's like Crysis in some places. Finally Crysis again after so many years. It's so well realized that I hope Crysis 4 can keep up with it.

insomniac games has even made 3 Spiderman games in the last few years which are all very similar. That's what I call generic.
People want to have fun playing Spider-man with his powers and fight the villains. Here at first glance the story and characters appear boring, similar to the movie IMO.

I guess not in Spiderman? Spiderman might be a little better in these points but it's still flat. Similar to the movies which are mediocre at best.

I'm not saying that Avatar deserves a higher rating. 73 % looks fine for me. But the other games should be downgraded a bit. Horizon 88 % what's going on there.

Back