Autos again

Anyway my two choices would be the Vette or Exige S obviously for two very different reasons. The Exige is probably going to be the most fun to drive most of the time, though. One advantage the Vette does have: heated seats :).

Every american who just bought a car, keeps trying to brag about having heated seats to me. Every car produced in the last decade that has been sold in norway has heated seats as a standart so i dont get the big deal about it :p

Since I have swore a sacred oath to Queen Liz and Phil the Greek to promote the british car industry to the heathen americans with their big wallowy cars
let me introduce something a bit special
The Bristol Fighter-T

Now its not cheap but i think you'll agree this quote more than makes up for that
"A potential maximum speed of more than 270 mph has been electronically limited to a more than sufficient 225 mph at 4500 rpm."

You are now ordered to to point your finger at Ostepop and laugh hysterically for this quote in regard to the mercedes
"Its ridiculously fast."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bristol Fighter-T

You are now ordered to to point your finger at Ostepop and laugh hysterically for this quote in regard to the mercedes
"Its ridiculously fast."

In the Merc, you can reach a theoretical speed of 210-220mph (depending on if you have a wing and whatnot). The reason the Merc is imo ridiculously fast, is because you often find yourself driving fast, for no apparent reason, because you dont "feel" the speed. You step on it, feel your organs getting showed a bit in the beginning, get used to it, and forget that your braking all the traffic laws in your country.

Just yesterday i experienced this when i floored it in a tunnel (i tried to get this Audi S6 i think it was- the v10 one - to play with me) i didn't think about the speed for a second, just focusing on the road and on the engine sound (spitfire engine sound ftw :p) and when the tunnel finished and the car started coming dangerously near a roundabout i noticed i was doing about 100mph more than i should.

Now, i was driving that British thing, i would be scared to death when i flooring it, so i would allways be aware of the speed :p

the 911 its self isnt really necessary as its not british
so why not have a noble instead

or an Allard J2-X

Meh, i've mostly had bad experiences with british cars.

Unreliable.

I dunno how many friends i got who has owned, or parent has had a Range Rover (aspecially that RR Sport version they made which was "trendy" for a while), but i do know all of them keep complaning about how unreliable they are, and how they keep braking down and they have to give it super costly repairs.

/shrug

Porsches on the other hand are one of the most reliable cars in the world.

But the Bristol Fighter has gull wing doors
and as we all know gull wing doors are so cool that they instantly negate any flaws in british cars ;)

Now you cant argue with that logic can you..

If you want style rather than speed a Ferrari 308 could also be a option, these things already go for 35k these days but the money you save on buying it will probably go into maintaining it very quick.

edit: Ferrari 355's also go for way under 70k (euro's, dont know about dollars) to way up 70k. If you can put up with the repair bill i'd buy that over any other car every day. It looks great, one of the last Ferrari's that looked good and the engine sounds is just awsome.

/angel on my shoulder: Save the money for a rainy day.
/devil on my shoulder: Get the airel atom:
http://www.arielatom.com/

Sigh, Ive been debating getting it for almost a year, but just cant seem to pull the trigger. Damn you angel, for making so much sense.

or a marcos

Now that is finally a pretty looking car.

Why is it Corvettes are supposed to have such poor reliability you see tons of old ones driving around, but I guess that must be because people like them. From what I understand the corvette actually had quite a legendary engine from a reliability standpoint.

well most vette engines are big powerfull but relatively simple so there isnt much to go wrong
as for poor reliability its probably the other other parts, the vette is not what you would call high quality
plus there is something wrong with the way the vette looks that you cant just put your finger on but you know its not quite right
but then again Marcos have made the odd trip to uglyville

edit: Ferrari 355's also go for way under 70k (euro's, dont know about dollars) to way up 70k. If you can put up with the repair bill i'd buy that over any other car every day. It looks great, one of the last Ferrari's that looked good and the engine sounds is just awsome.

Maintaining a F355 is ridiculously pricy, you would break that 70k budget rather fast. A m8 of mine spends about 10k a year on his, and thats with him doing a lot of the stuff himself.

Im still waiting for Citrous's long explaination on the cayman vs 911

I could try to give you my impressions on the two vs eachother (most of the cayman expressions would be based on some cayman driving and a lot of 997 boxter s driving, which is in essence the same car without a roof).

Thats why I said if he's willing to put up with the repair bills. You cant expect to own a sportcar and get away with normal maintainance bills. 10k is still lower than i'd expect though. But isnt it the same if he'd buy a Porsche? they probably brake down less than a Ferrari but I still dont expect Porsche parts (or their mechanics!) to come cheap.

well most vette engines are big powerfull but relatively simple so there isnt much to go wrong
as for poor reliability its probably the other other parts, the vette is not what you would call high quality
plus there is something wrong with the way the vette looks that you cant just put your finger on but you know its not quite right
Most of the images you linked for these retro looking cars look hideous to me, but to each his own :)

I actually always loved the way the Dodge Viper GTS looked, much more than anything posted in this thread so far anyway.

Viper has no traction control, you'll never be able to feel even half of its theoretical power.

The best thing is to test-drive several candidades, we can all talk a lot :)

And please give the new C63 AMG a try (self-pimping, yeah I know :)). It's a true monster in a rather small package.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=121540
http://www.jdpower.com/articles/article.aspx?ID=296
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-C63-AMG/226409/

I think it should be within your price range in the US.

I agree with you on the on the retro cars some of them are a bit orrible ;) i also agree on the viper it does look good
also corvette have made some pretty cars in their time like the mako shark

ps: speaking about porsche i allways loved the 928's

Apparently a new one is comming out and is it not sexy? although it could do with being less 911 like

pps: the 63amg not the prettiest of cars is it

Viper has no traction control, you'll never be able to feel even half of its theoretical power.

The best thing is to test-drive several candidades, we can all talk a lot :)
And please give the new C63 AMG a try (self-pimping, yeah I know :)). It's a true monster in a rather small package.
I think it should be within your price range in the US.
I just was saying the Viper looks cool, it has an aura. That Mercedes doesn't to me. I am not even suggesting that one is better than the other, just that I like the look of one. As I said earlier looks don't break it for me. Of the cars suggested in this thread if I had the $ to get one I actually would probably go with the GTR or that C63.

I agree with you on the on the retro cars some of them are a bit orrible ;) i also agre on the viper it does look good
also corvette have made some pretty cars in their time like the mako shark
I like the stingray better.
ps: speaking about porsche i allways loved the 928's
Apparently a new one is comming out and is it not sexy?
New one looks nice, old one doesn't do it for me.

I could try to give you my impressions on the two vs eachother (most of the cayman expressions would be based on some cayman driving and a lot of 997 boxter s driving, which is in essence the same car without a roof).

If you have the time it would be welcome.

So the list seems to be:
Lotus elise or exige s - If anyone has driven both a compare and contrast would be nice.
Porsche cayman or 911 - If anyone has driven both a compare and contrast would be nice.
Morgan - Dunno if it is in the price range. But I do like it alot. - Too Expensive for me =(
Corvette - I don't see any reason to buy the z06 as I am mostly trackless. Plus I'm not sure I like how they drive, kind of dull but still handle very quickly, its a wierd combination.
BMW M3 - Looks good but Im not sold on beamers. Everyone has them in the states.
MB-AMG SLK55 - I hear that MB's are not reliable. (All the little things break.) Anyone have any thoughts on this OTHER than the guy who works for then. (hehe)
MB AMG C63 - Not a sports car... but damn nice.
Nissian GT-R or 350z nismo - Maybe out of my price range, and not sure if I could still get a nismo z.
Mitsu EVO X with the DSG flappy paddle thing. - Hear lots of bad things about Mitsu.
Marcos? - never heard of it but looks good. Cost? (Ill look tonight)
Briston thingy - Looks good but cost? (Ill look tonight)

I think I want something new and not old. Im I don't have all the proper tools to work on an older car. (I.E a nice lift, and patience.) Tho an 355 would be great, the upkeep is just too much.

Im assuming anything AMG is out of my price range of 70k or less. - Poor assumption there are a couple AMG's in this price range.

And that new 928 does look good, cost == 100K +

Back