Autos again

Having a carbon fibre cell (does the exige actually has one?) doesnt automatically makes the car safe. The carrera GT is a living death trap for example. The chassis is so stiff because its a targa that it wont absorb the energy from a crash like a Enzo does for example. Just take a look a wrecked exotics and see how GT's dont look really damaged but killed the people in it while you got Enzo's that look like a total wreck but the people inside got away with minor injuries.

Anyway, if you want to chose between the porsche and the lotus I think it depends on how you want to use it. Being a poor student I cant do anything than drool at the thought of owning either one but as far as I know the exige was never designed to be a comfortable car but as a track car that just happens to be streetlegal were the Porsche is designed more to also be a car usable for every day.

Oh and maybe maintance costs is something to look into? Porsche should be pretty bulletproof if you maintain them well but if anything breaks its probably not cheap while the Exige is build with fairly normal parts.

or if you cant decide between the atom and the exige there is some middle ground
The Lotus 2-Eleven
http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=6&mid=13

or if you want a slighty more luxurious lotus the Europa S
http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=7&mid=19

ps: i was wrong about the exige being carbon fibre

The 2-11 U.S isn't street legal from what Ive seen (tho the UK version is) and there is no US version of the europa, tho we my be getting one next year.

Ahhh.... I would be happy living in the UK. Better driving roads as well than where I live for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
This topic is above my pay grade, but I think the porches are ugly and the GT-R wins over that in my book. I actually love my current car though and would just as soon follow in that vein for the rest of my days.

This topic is above my pay grade, but I think the porches are ugly and the GT-R wins over that in my book. I actually love my current car though and would just as soon follow in that vein for the rest of my days.

What do you drive currently?

A WRX, and yes an STi of EVO would be fine, but I like clearance so I don't tap the bottom on every dip in the road, and driving (sliding) on gravel roads is by far the most fun I have ever had in a car.

I just traded my wrx for my wifes new forester.
The WRX is an amazing car for the cost.
I wonder if the new ones will continue that trend.

I just traded my wrx for my wifes new forester.
The WRX is an amazing car for the cost.
I wonder if the new ones will continue that trend.

I am not a fan of the new styling really, but styling never makes or breaks a car to me. At the moment I seriously think that I will drive mine until things blow up and then swap in an STi tranny and engine. We shall have to wait and see though. If everyone has PHEVs in the future...I guess I will have to get something new.

Have you driven your friends elise? If so what did you think of the road feel and the power. I have only driven the exige. I would like to know what you thought of the elise.

No i cant drive :(
i have driven a bentley turbo R ;)
as for the elise as a passenger it was loud + cold, lots of legroom suprisingly
the lumbar support was too hard + too big it really made it uncomfortable for me
but the road feeling was awesome and it does corner like a housefly

or how about a tvr
ps: if you do get one will you leave it to me in your will :D
or for something you dont see every day a morgan

Wait for the new Nissan GTR? It looks totally amazing, although it may be out of your price range at around 90K or so depending on how much the dealers mark it up.

Ahh you must of made that post before seeing mine as I have no doubt re-defined your idea of "looks totally amazing" :D

Well the tvr wouldnt be exactly new as theyve gone bust
/Davros places the blame squarely at the feet of B3D's american readers for not buying enough of them...

ps: The cheapest morgan is £25,200 i cant find a price for the Aero max pictured
ps: have you seen the rear of it ?

How do morgans handle say hello to my leetle friend at topgear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETud5QEo1o
look at the powerboard the aero8 was faster than the exige

if you like the retro look and a morgam is a bit to expensive
how about a caterham clasic for £15,000

or a marcos

_xxx_ said:
Technically it lags at least 10 years behind in EVERY regard.
Homework assignment: Find a more powerful engine with a better weight ratio for less $$$.

Anyway my two choices would be the Vette or Exige S obviously for two very different reasons. The Exige is probably going to be the most fun to drive most of the time, though. One advantage the Vette does have: heated seats :).

Oh what to do with that spare £16,000 youve got lying round
Ginetta g20-r maybe ?

ps: the morgan aero-8 has a higher power to weight ratio than the vette

Hey all!

I have a question which I want opinions on.

Im getting ready to buy a new car in the next 6 months.
Price range is 50-70k USD (I live in the USA in a state with snow and have two cars already).
I want something sporty. 2 Doors preferably.

Im thinking on a lotus exige S, porsche 911, porsche cayman, or corvette.

Lets hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

Finally a topic where i feel i can contribute in!

(You may or may not have missed my topic where i 2 months or so ago bought a Porsche 997 911 Carrera 4s - it still hasn't arrived, another couple weeks ARGH!!!)

Anyways, i've driven a lot of the cars your interested in owned a couple similar, and a couple others in that price range\ car class.

Here are some of my most important issues\questions when buying a sports coupe that i would recommend you to think over:

1. How often are you going to drive this car?

Do you want to be able to take it for a spin on any day of the week, or just when its sun and optimal conditions? Do you want to be able to drive to comfortably trough heavy traffic? For example the Exige you mention is not something i would recommend driving every day, as its exhausting to drive that stiff cars for longer periods of time.

2. How much of a drivers car do you want?

Very important, Merc's for example are not your typical drivers car, they are fast as hell and comfy, but dont give you the same exitment as say porsche (Even thought AMG >>> Porsche in terms of speed anyday of the week).

3. What do you want the car to do for you?

Do you want something to show off? Something to have fun in? Etc..

4. How important is reliability?

A lot of cars brake down alot, aspecially sporty cars. Porsche's however tend to last forever as long as you give them love.

Here are my thoughts on the sport coupes ive driven:

Porsche Cayman S - this car is handling perfection, the boxter was brilliant when it came, but with a roof on top of it, its just perfect. Perfect weight balance, perfect steering, and a good enough engine. On the track this car if fabulus, and it works well in a day to day setting (atleast a Boxter S did for me). It also looks great imo.

Porsche 911 997 - Its a 911. And its the best 911 porsche ever made. Hows that for a review? The Turbo is fast, the others are not, but there is something special about driving a 911, it also works great in real life situations, you can actually drive this car to school\work\whatever every day here. AWD is a big plus, at least in my book, but then again i live in norway, so we see quite a bit of snow. Anyways, AWD, when you start getting fast cars, is really nice to have.

Mercedes SLK 55 AMG - may look a bit girly and small, but this thing is well build, fast as hell and very agile. No AWD.. but its a cab and a coupe in one.

Mercedes CLK AMG - big fast merc. Much more comfortable than the others, may not look as cool, but the comfort level is great (if you like that). Ive had a CLK500K Kleeman (528hp\600nm, go to the forza 2 thread to see dyno charts) now for about a year and i love it. Its great for a lot more situations than most sporty coupes are. Its ridiculously fast. Its very comfy (for when there is alot of traffic). You can take 4 people with you if you need to. This is the car Mercedes AMG makes their racing cars on for DTM, Le Mans, etc. Its the **** in a lot of ways. Its not as agile as Cayman or SLK, but it will (in DTM and 63 AMG or Kleeman versions) make up for it in RAAAAAAAW power. Hell. Brabus can give you 800hp\1100nm for pocket change these days. Only big minus is that you really feel that you need AWD with so much hp in many situations, aspecially in rain and snow. Merc ESP is supposedly one of the best, but the ESP warning indicator keeps telling me it "saved my life" every time i floor the pedal in non optimal conditions, meaning your not getting all that power into the ground.

(There is a brand new 2009 CLK coming, which is supposedly going to be as big of a revolution to the premium medium size coupe car class as the S class is each generation).

Merc SL 55 - "slow", but my god, best car ever made in its time. Its comfy when you want it to be, its sporty when want it to be, and nothing beats having a convertible and a coupe in one. Again, a very driveable car, this is imo super important.

Audi A5 3.0 Quattro - only driven this for an hour, seems alot like the CLK, but build quality seems a bit off and its horribly slow (so you would have to wait for a v8 version or something). Has AWD thought, and looks excellent in real life (pictures doesn't do this car justice).

BMW M3 - driving perfection.fast enough, nice handling, very responsive, best drivers car in the world that you can use every day. Haven't driven the new one, if its anything like the old one its brilliant.

Lotus Exige S - very fun car to drive around the track, not so fun to live with on a daily basis. Also not very fun in the states, as its best attribute is handling, not accel\top speed. Tbh. If you want a Exige, just go buy a ultima or a donkervoort or some other track car, because thats really what an Exige S is. Its a track car. Not something to drive every day.

Corvette Z06 - very fast, nice handling, first good american car in years, terrible build quality, i guess its because you americans replace your cars every year so it doesn't matter if the thing falls apart after 3.

Back