New Rig Time. Can I get feedback on this config?

BlackAngus

Newcomer
Hey all!
Thanks for taking your time to look at this.
Im going to be building a new rig soon. The budget is a wishy washy $1500. Im hoping this will last around 3-4 years. This machine will be used for games, work and video encoding.

Da Rig....

LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $99.99
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - $289.99
Intel Xeon X3360 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569X3360 - $564.99
XFX PVT88GYDD4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - $249.992
2 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - $279.98 (8GB total)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Red) 750W EPS12V Power Supply - $199.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $109.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $5.99
??? CPU Heatsink - Up in the air.
2x Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm - $17.98 (need 1 fan for my old rig to replace a failing one)
Subtotal: $1,850.88

All suggestions or advice welcome.

Thoughts:
I love Lian Li cases. But if anyone knows of a good looking cheap case with a 120mm fan, Im all ears.

I selected an X48 MB because of 2 full speed 16x PCI express slots. Ive been fairly disappointed with many nvidia MB's in the past (Tho I have had a couple of gems) and from the posts Ive seen about the 790 data issues I would rather avoid that.

Im assuming that the 775 Xeons do not require FB Dimms. I chose the Xeon because I can't find a 2.83 Ghz desktop model, and for the price it didnt seem like a bad compromise between 3.0 @$1000+ and 2.66@~$250.

I may do a slight bit of overclocking, but not at the risk of stability. I want rock solid stable.

I selected the 8800 GTS because it seems to be the best bang for the buck card. I do anticipate getting one of the new cards coming out this summer, but this card will do me good for now, and will go nicely in my home server which currently has a pci 8mb video card in it, after I get a new card.

Im not sure on the ram, 4GB of DDR3 vs 8GB of DDR2. I chose the DDR 2 for now. But if someone can give me good reasons for going with the DDR3 instead I could change my mind. (Also I know if I switch to DDR3 I will have to choose another MB, but that doesnt really matter much at that price range.)

Love the PC Power and Cooling. I have always found them to be outstanding.

Any feedback on the HS selection would be good. I hear the Tuniq T-120 is very good, all suggestions are welcome.

And yes I broke my budget but I do want quality components and I did say wishy washy for the budget. =)

Other notes:
Video card comes with COD4 (Which I havent played yet), and there are about $50 worth of rebates.
I have a DVD burner and a 74GB raptor that will go into this machine.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $99.99
Meh, I'm partial to the P182 for that kind of price for a no PSU case (although it has way too many fans by default).
Intel Xeon X3360 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569X3360 - $564.99
Is the extra cache really worth all that money?
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - $279.98
Seems overpriced for 1066 memory.
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Red) 750W EPS12V Power Supply - $199.99
I sincerely doubt any 90 mm fan design is going to be very quiet. For a 750 Watt I'd go for the TX750W ... if you don't mind (paying) a little more a Zalman ZM1000-HP.
Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM
Those or Samsung.
Tuniq T-120-LFB 120mm CPU Cooler - $49.99
Why not just get the Ultra120? (The Sunbeamtech Core Contact freezer also looks nice, just not available.)
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - $29.98
Why not just get Scythe SY1225SL12M? Sure it only has a simple sleeve bearing ... but in the end it's still more silent with better airflow and a lot cheaper. Unless you need horizontal mounting Slipstream or Noctuas are the best.

I'll push the ThermalTake Armor+ as an alternate case suggestion. I've been using one for a few weeks now and I have to admit I bloody love the thing.

Beautiful build quality, fantastic airflow, great cable management, and oodles of room. Oh, and it's quiet even though it has 3 big fans in it.

I'd also recommend Samsung over Western Digital, but that's a bit of a personal preference thing.

(Then again, I'd also get 2 HD3870s for that money your spending on one 8800 GTS...but that's me and I'm weird that way. ;) )

I like this case because it comes with 3 fans.
Not a great argument ... most of the towers can fit that many fans, few of them come with really good fans as stock :)

Meh, I'm partial to the P182 for that kind of price for a no PSU case (although it has way too many fans by default).

Is the extra cache really worth all that money?
On the xeon its not the cache, its finding a 2.83Ghz desktop chip.
Seems overpriced for 1066 memory.
Quickly here. I made a mistake on the ram, it was two kits of 4 GB per for that cost, so 8GB. (Fixing op)

I sincerely doubt any 90 mm fan design is going to be very quiet. For a 750 Watt I'd go for the TX750W ... if you don't mind (paying) a little more a Zalman ZM1000-HP.
I fear all power supplies other than pc power and cooling =). I know and trust them. The zalman looks good, but how good is the modular cabling, Im unsure about that.

Those or Samsung.
You and digi both like the samsungs, why? (Never had a samsung before, all maxtor, WD and segate.)

Why not just get the Ultra120? (The Sunbeamtech Core Contact freezer also looks nice, just not available.)
What is special about the Ultra120? Its 10$ more expensive that the one I listed.

Why not just get Scythe SY1225SL12M? Sure it only has a simple sleeve bearing ... but in the end it's still more silent with better airflow and a lot cheaper. Unless you need horizontal mounting Slipstream or Noctuas are the best.
20db vs 24db... at 1/2 the price..... I may have to change.

Thanks for the input Mfa!

I'll push the ThermalTake Armor+ as an alternate case suggestion. I've been using one for a few weeks now and I have to admit I bloody love the thing.

Beautiful build quality, fantastic airflow, great cable management, and oodles of room. Oh, and it's quiet even though it has 3 big fans in it.

I'd also recommend Samsung over Western Digital, but that's a bit of a personal preference thing.

(Then again, I'd also get 2 HD3870s for that money your spending on one 8800 GTS...but that's me and I'm weird that way. ;) )

Thanks digi!
I have heard good things about the armor case, Ill have to look more closely at it. I have a Lian Li V2000 that will be the Quads case, I really looking for something to transplant my old system into.

I didnt realize you could get 2 3870's for that cheap. Thats something I will have to consider.

I like this case because it comes with 3 fans.
Thats a pretty nifty case for the price.

Hmm, it seems the Scythe Ultra Kaze 1000 RPM fan is even better most of the time ... as long as you can accomodate it (38 mm deep).

Hmm, it seems the Scythe Ultra Kaze 1000 RPM fan is even better most of the time ... as long as you can accomodate it (38 mm deep).

At a whopping 48.something db! Thats a bit louder that what I would like.

There are so many damn fans to choose from

Edit
Oh yeah, That was the 3000rpm one!
Thanks Mfa!

Looks like 14db for the 1000rpm one, now that sounds good.

I fear all power supplies other than pc power and cooling =). I know and trust them.
Trust noone. Corsair PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic nowadays ...
The zalman looks good, but how good is the modular cabling, Im unsure about that.
How good does it have to be, it's not rocket science.
You and digi both like the samsungs, why? (Never had a samsung before, all maxtor, WD and segate.)
Quiet and outrageously cheap.
What is special about the Ultra120? Its 10$ more expensive that the one I listed.
Performs better and can handle higher loads (1 more heatpipe). It's pretty much the most popular heatsink out there.
I have a Lian Li V2000 that will be the Quads case
Ohh nice (too expensive, but nice).

I didnt realize you could get 2 3870's for that cheap. Thats something I will have to consider.

You can also get the 8800GT 512M cards for near that price too ($135 after MIR), if you prefer Nvidia.

Silverstone also makes some amazing PSUs too. The Strider model I have is very quiet since it uses a large 130mm fan.

Hard drives don't matter too much IMO, just go to storage review or silentpc to see about info you care about.

Personally I have had the best luck by far with WD, but everyone has different experiences.

Trust noone. Corsair PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic nowadays ...

How good does it have to be, it's not rocket science.
I'm worried about the connector fit. Loose and power are bad! =)
Did you mean PCP and not Corsair? I seem to remember hearing about Seasonic doing the manufacturing, now that you mention it.
Is seasonic good or bad?

Quiet and outrageously cheap.
Quiet is good. Ill likely get a samsung.

Performs better and can handle higher loads (1 more heatpipe). It's pretty much the most popular heatsink out there.
Is this completely passive?

Ohh nice (too expensive, but nice).

Yeah I love this case. Looks good, good layout, great craftsmanship and light as a feather or two. You can bang your hands about all day inside w/o worry of being cut.

You can also get the 8800GT 512M cards for near that price too ($135 after MIR), if you prefer Nvidia.

Im trying to stay away from nvidia MB's. I dont hear great things about the 790(I.e the data corruption issue, which seems to rear its head every other chipset or so). Ive had mixed experiences with nvidia chipsets in the past.

<waaaaa> I want intel chipset's with SLI!!!!
<Wonders how hard it would be to hack the drivers>

Ultra 120 is not passive, it just doesn't come with a fan.

Which is one of several reasons not to buy one (unless you're sold on the looks or are a Thermalright brand loyalist).

Coolers like the Zerotherm Nirvana 120 or the revised FZ120 version do just as good a job, include the fan, and cost a whole lot less money. Also they look great, if you ask me.

I'm predisposed against integrated fans ... but yeah the FZ120 is a fine heatsink, but it's also 40$ and if you are going for quiet you are probably going to throw on a different fan.

I recommend one of them 120 mm Sony ball bearing equipped monsters. I have 7-8 fans in my case and its pretty quiet.

Back