Audi RS4 vs BMW M5

Well the A3 was the first car in the VAG to use the "a4" chassis. (which is in the TT and golf) so that suggest to me that Audi designed it.

No, it doesn't. AFAIK the platform name "A4" has nothing to do with the Audi car. It means 4th generation A platform - the A platform is the platform for compact cars car, the B platform for midsized cars and so on.

I never said anything of the sort.

The A4 chassis was first used in the A3, which suggests Audi designed it.

If "VW" designed it, it stands to reason the first car to use it would've been a VW.

The A4 chassis was first used in the A3, which suggests Audi designed it.

If "VW" designed it, it stands to reason the first car to use it would've been a VW.

That's really just an assumptions since we know nothing about who designs the platforms. Maybe it's a completely seperate entity within the corporate structure. It doesn't even matter. The fact remains that various Audi, Skoda, Seat and VW cars share the same chassis and many other components. It's essentially the same stuff.

Audi, while owned by VW, seems to be almost an entirely separate entity. They did buy Lamborghini just a few years ago, afterall. When was the last time you heard of a subsidiary of one company buying another company (when the first company wasn't just a holding company)? On top of that, the Lamborghini Murcielago is an Audi-inspired design.

Audi is part of the VW corporate conglomerate. They use identical platforms across several car models and bascially just change motors, suspension, coatwork, interior design and such.

IIRC, the A6 is based on the VW Passat, The A3 and TT are based on the VW Golf. The A2 is a pimped-up VW Polo.

It's also pretty safe to assume that there is tons of shared technology between all Volkswagen Group subsidiaries in other areas, too. Of course Audis are better cars than Skodas. They have to offer something to justify the price tag. But the fact is that you get very similar technology and manufacturing quality at vastly different price points.

Edit:
And yeah, BMW drivers piss me off, too.

This is like saying Mercedes was repackaged Chrysler when the 300 took the C platform!?

Which VW has an all aluminum frame now?

BMWs are for arrogant pricks.

Real men drive Audis.

:LOL:

As for Audi being "behind BMW in terms of tech and quality" LMAO. Quattro > any b.s. AWD system BMW has put out. How many BMWs do you see racing up Pike's Peak? Quality is a purely subjective matter whose very definition varies from person to person. I prefer Audi's styling (both inside and out). BMW is a cliche.

So you like Audi, heh? ;)

You're not informed properly. BMW's X-Drive beats the shite out of Quattro (or anything else out there for that matter). Also, the steering is better, the suspension is better, the engine is better, the gearbox is better.

Audi has the best interior materials and styling that many people seem to like, but their ONLY tech advantage in comparison is the alu chassis and the related tech - they're several years ahead of the rest with alu. In some models (though not S and RS) they have a new double-clutch transmission which is nice and would be an advantage, but can't take enough torque for the bigger cars. And till they make the "big" version, the rest will have it too.

they have a new double-clutch transmission which is nice and would be an advantage, but can't take enough torque for the bigger cars. And till they make the "big" version, the rest will have it too.

I think Veyron has the "big" version :smile: dunno how much that costs though hehe.

Sorry to stereotype, but have you ever met a BMW driver that didn't think he owned the road? I sure haven't.

Hmmm... I don't, and really, I would say that is more reserved for Prius drivers. I assume you have the same attitude towards Porsche drivers?

I think Veyron has the "big" version :smile: dunno how much that costs though hehe.

No, Veyron has a supplied transmission from Ricardo. That one does work, but it has many disadvantages, the biggest being the company behind it itself. Ricardo are an awful supplier and also not ready to deliver anything for "bigger" series due to their size/capacity.

And for the record, I never met an Audi driver around here who didn't consider the road as his own property. Way worse than BMW drivers, the BMW thingy was like that maybe ten years ago, now it's Audi drivers being the "new BMW drivers" if you so wish :)

Audi have a better racing pedigree than BMW who only seem to compete in touring cars, in general though I think XXX has it nailed.

The problem with BMW is that they put all that fine engineering under a very ugly skin indeed. The 4 series looks like a fish, the 5 series is so slab sided it makes 19 inch wheels look like 15 inch and it appears to weigh 8000kg from the side. The 1 series is gormless, the 6 series looks like another apologetic cod, the list goes on and on.

BMW are going one way and Audi and Mercedes are going the other when it coems to sporty cars as well.

Talking about design, in my eyes almost all Audis look the same. I saw an ad in the papers with all models next to each other and I seriously had to laugh realizing I can't even tell them apart unless I look caefully for details. But whatever, many people like the look so it's all fine for them. I actually got used to the new BMW look in the meantime. It's not that I like it much, but at least I don't hate it.

Both Audis and BMWs are great cars. IMHO Audis (the consumer variant) and more comfy and roomy while BMWs are better in the turns but have harder seats and less room (5-series front seats go to the floor so no toe room). It's simply a matter of taste. As far as auto trannys go, the new double-clutch audi (A3) is almost as fun as a manual and shifts even faster.

I agree that Audi has become the posh brand, for the people who mostly go for the looks and arrogance. The size of the grill says it all, IMHO. If it had to be VW, I would go for a Skoda. Nice cars, and affordable.

BMWs X-Drive is great: although it uses a clutch (which gets hot), it is an all-mechanical way to distribute the traction, and it allows distributing the load smoothly. That's much better than most modern AWD solutions that simply use the brakes to prevent the wheels from spinning. I think BMW has done more innovation of the drive mechanics in recent years than the other big German brands (except for Porshe).

:LOL:

So you like Audi, heh? ;)

You're not informed properly. BMW's X-Drive beats the shite out of Quattro (or anything else out there for that matter). Also, the steering is better, the suspension is better, the engine is better, the gearbox is better.

Audi has the best interior materials and styling that many people seem to like, but their ONLY tech advantage in comparison is the alu chassis and the related tech - they're several years ahead of the rest with alu. In some models (though not S and RS) they have a new double-clutch transmission which is nice and would be an advantage, but can't take enough torque for the bigger cars. And till they make the "big" version, the rest will have it too.

That's right, when someone has differing tastes, that means they're not properly informed. As for x-drive being > than Quattro. Please. Audi practically invented AWD.

Talking about design, in my eyes almost all Audis look the same. I saw an ad in the papers with all models next to each other and I seriously had to laugh realizing I can't even tell them apart unless I look caefully for details. But whatever, many people like the look so it's all fine for them. I actually got used to the new BMW look in the meantime. It's not that I like it much, but at least I don't hate it.

BMWs all look the same to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, I confess. While an M3 would be awesome, I was looking for a fun economy car for our third & one spin in the A3 sold me. It's hardly pretentious and a blast to drive all while managing 32 mpg on the highway. (we don't have the nice diesels that you euro folks get over here). It's a huge change from my 300C AWD...but we still have a truck & SUV...

Reliability-wise, Audi beats BMW from my experiences. My Dad has been driving BMWs for around 25 years and he's had 5 different 3-series in that time and I've had one myself. Out of these cars, 2 were a pain in the arse with numerous reliability problems relating to the engine with several breakdowns each. One of these cars is his current 2.0l diesel which breaks down every 10-15k miles - some kind of problem with the turbo. In the past 7 or 8 years, we've also owned a couple of Audi A3s which have been much better in comparison with one mechanical problem (suspension) on one of the cars. Needless to say when he gets rid of the BMW my Dad is intending to replace it with a new Audi A4.

As always YMMV, but that's our experiences with BMW reliability vs Audi. I won't say anything about the BMW dealers who have always been so awful with their customer service that you can barely believe they are getting worse...

Looks like the new Nissan GT-R and Lexus IS-F have all the germans beat in the $60k bracket depending on whether you want ultimate performance on one hand or sporty sophisticated reliability on the other.

Apart from the badge that is.

Looks like the new Nissan GT-R and Lexus IS-F have all the germans beat in the $60k bracket depending on whether you want ultimate performance on one hand or sporty sophisticated reliability on the other.

Apart from the badge that is.

Too bad the actual price bracket for these cars is much closer to $100k :(

Back