ATI RV740 review/preview

according to these specs, http://www.schottenland.de/preisvergleich/preise/proid_9880253/ATI-Radeon-HD4750

The add in card is rated at 78 watts. Perhaps might give you an idea of it's mobile power draw.

Thanks. This image is still the one with the Zalman cooler and the 6-pin contact, and the GDDR5 frequency looks a bit low (lower than ATI specced for the mobile part "..up to 4Gbps") , but it's better data than none.
The mobile part is specced at 640MHz GPU clock, so if the above figure is correct, the power draw is rather hefty for a laptop. Then again it is way better for a desktop than my 4870. I may downgrade for power reasons - never do anything which requires the 4870 anyway.

Thanks. This image is still the one with the Zalman cooler and the 6-pin contact, and the GDDR5 frequency looks a bit low (lower than ATI specced for the mobile part "..up to 4Gbps") , but it's better data than none.
The mobile part is specced at 640MHz GPU clock, so if the above figure is correct, the power draw is rather hefty for a laptop. Then again it is way better for a desktop than my 4870. I may downgrade for power reasons - never do anything which requires the 4870 anyway.
The desktop 4870 TDP is 160W and mobility 4870 is under 75W. We cant compare these figures.

The desktop 4870 TDP is 160W and mobility 4870 is under 75W. We cant compare these figures.

Yes we can.
The mobility 4870 lowers the clocks, and can thereby get away with lower voltages than the stationary SKU. In the region we're talking about, power rises almost according to clock^3. However when it comes to the RV740, the data for the stationary part is nigh on identical for GPU clock (mobile 640MHz, stationary 650MHz) and the memory clock for the mobile part is actually specced higher than the 3200Gbps that is listed for the stationary part. Since the clocks for the mobile part is as high or higher, there is no room to drop voltages. I guess AMD could bin their chips, letting the best bin become the mobility 4860, but the differences could only be minor at best, and the hypothesis is suspect since the mobile modules are the first to market - no time to accumulate a number of top-performing parts or letting manufacturing advances improve power characteristics.

BTW Jawed, that fudzilla article references the same item as in this thread above. I'm sure he got it here. :)

This says 44w for the MXM module, not specifying if it's 4830 or 4860.
I wouldn't trust that retailer too much. The picture is that from guru3d's preview and it says "ATI Radeon 4750", so it really doesn't look like the usual early AIB listing info...

This says 44w for the MXM module, not specifying if it's 4830 or 4860.
I wouldn't trust that retailer too much. The picture is that from guru3d's preview and it says "ATI Radeon 4750", so it really doesn't look like the usual early AIB listing info...

Thanks Psycho. Something like this was what I was originally after. The 44W could refer to either the 4830 or the 4860 I guess. Being cynical when it comes to marketing presentations, I would assume it referred to the lower clocked 4830 - particularly since it is pointed out that both perform better than their 60W competitor, it does stick out a bit that the power draw is not similarly claimed for both RV740 variations.

44W for the slower mobile part would fit reasonably well with the unconfirmed specifications and additional 6-pin power connector of the stationary sample. I hope we'll know more soon enough, but this reinforces the ballpark. A clear improvement in performance/W over the current offerings, but not quite as large an improvement as could be hoped from initial TSMC 40nm specs.

The mobile HD 4750 probably does not have 512mb of ram either though. Might be clocked at 4ghz, but if were talking 128mb... then it's rather moot.

Does anyone have confirmation whether or not the HD 4770 has a PCI-E connector? I didn't see it on the above link. If it does, should I expect a lesser SKU without said connector?

@ Jawed, do you know how OEMs tend to approach these cards between the single/dual slot issue?

Do they prefer single slot for being cheaper, or do they prefer dual slot for the better thermals without having to use additional cooling?

826M transistors compared to 770's 956M. (Chiphell)

There's quite some trannies allocated to the extra width of the MC, the majority I assume are for the cluster?

160 -~-100M-110M
480 -~-300M-330M (add a bit more for 730 TU config, deduct on lack of DP/LDS and ROP units)
800 -~-500M-550M ???

Hyp 1600 -~- 1000-1100M (?). If the rest of the chip remains the same, we'd probably get to 1.3-1.4b.

@ Jawed, do you know how OEMs tend to approach these cards between the single/dual slot issue?

Do they prefer single slot for being cheaper, or do they prefer dual slot for the better thermals without having to use additional cooling?
I've got no ideas about OEMs etc.

I was thinking purely of people buying these as add-in boards.

Jawed

They will probably have single slot cards available if not at launch, a couple of weeks after. Its kinda a moot point unless someone has a favoured brand and they stick with the referrence cooler.

Back