Phenom II reviews

ALL reviews agrees that the Phenom2 is slower, clock for clock to the Core2Quads.
Period!
Again.
PERIOD!

People don't but clock speeds, they buy processors+mobo+ram. I'd rather have a platform perf /platform price advantage than clock speed. Intel always had higher clocked parts in P3/4 days and yet AMD was competitive with lower clocks.

Ya, Intel will cut prices, but faster AMD chips will come out too.

Which puts the Q9400 and Phenom 920 at parity. Again, motherboard pricing comes into play. Limited win? Yes, but a win.

Yes. AMD is now competitive at higher prices than it was earlier. I agree, not by much, but yes, they are more competitive than they were before.

I would rather pay more for an Intel chipset made by Intel than one from NVIDIA or AMD, looking back at my experiences dating back from when I jumped from my Amiga 1200 to the PC with a 486DX.

No touches Intel's record with chipset stability, period!

I feel exactly the opposite. That is why I wanted phenom II to be decent to make me move from my C2D intel chipset, but it just isn't good enough. Hopefully it at least forces a price drop.

I feel exactly the opposite. That is why I wanted phenom II to be decent to make me move from my C2D intel chipset, but it just isn't good enough. Hopefully it at least forces a price drop.
Same here. I was planning on a mid range pc with ph2, but it looks like ill wait for intels price cut and go c2q.

I repeat, since you have a hard to understanding:
If I OC a Q9400 to 3.2Ghz, it will beat a OC'ed Phenom2 @ 3.2Ghz.
Those are facts!
Now if you do not understand that they used a more expensive chip, because they happend to have one, and the results would have been the SAME if they had OC'ed an CHEAPER chip, then you are just a waste of time.

ALL reviews agrees that the Phenom2 is slower, clock for clock to the Core2Quads.
Period!
Again.
PERIOD!

Now the Phenom2 and Core2Quads overclock the to about the same Hz...
But a Phenom @ 3.8Ghz cannot beat a Core2Quad @ 3.2Ghz.
So your fallacy about prive does nothing but prove you ignorance in that regard.
Feel free to post data that whows otherwise...untill then, you are a waste of my time.

The Phenom II 940, which is 3GHz by default, is the processor reviewed in the HardOCP article. Compared to a QX9770, which is 3.2GHz by default but much much much more expensive. Again though, a Q9400 at 3.2GHz will not perform the same as a QX9770. The reason being a massive difference in cache size, which quite clearly helps Intel's Core 2 architecture significantly.

Your second statement is going to bit you rather quickly...

Not a win...more like showing up 2 years late.

It is a win, but you're being so thick headed and biased you can't see it. If you'd for one instance stop being so self serving when looking at this you could see it beyond such pointless blank statements. General sweeping statements that are easily proved wrong do nothing positive at all.

The i7 920 is the perfect replacement for my Q6600, most OC to ~4Ghz and nothing AMD has comes near that price/preformance.

The Phenom II is clearly not for you. Expecting it to be so was ignorant. It is a bit like buying a HD4870 when you already owned SLI'd 8800GTXs, for most purposes the performance isn't the same. Of course your next logical move is to the Core i7, that processor is also priced relative to the move up... being much more expensive.

I am not the one with my balls in a sling, whining...I'm just dissapointed in AMD for not delivering any competion.

Again, this information was easily known a number of weeks ago. Additionally I do believe AMD deliver competition in limited markets and price brackets.

Yup, like I said, to little, to late, to hyped...and quit whing about "~$1000"pats, since you obiviously don't understand what overclocking is all about.

The Phailure2 is only "good" if you have a compatiable AM2 motherboard.
New build:
Pure performance: Go i7, nothing touches it.
Price/performance: Go Core2Quad, same price as Phenom2, but way more performance if you know how to go beyond stock.

You have already mentioned how these parts overclock to similar levels of clock rate. This has been shown to be rather true, generally, in most reviews. You still fail to realize the difference between the $250~ vs $1,000~ chips in how one is equipped with massively more cache.

However, these Tech Report gaming numbers clearly show that the Phenom II is competitive clock for clock depending on the benchmark. Again, showing the issues in your sweeping thoughts. Factor in the motherboard price difference and you have the Phenom II with a slight edge in some markets, most notably the mATX form factor where AMD easily has better priced boards. A $60 difference is that between the HD4850 and HD4870, which is massive for a gamer. Not everyone buys with credit and can stretch their budget on a whim.

Using "Phailure 2" just proves that you can't look at these products in a unbiased manner. It is the equivalent of using "Micro$oft" or "M$", it is both immature and makes you look like a moron before even reading what you've typed. I hope you enjoy that image.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a Intel Q6700 and I don't trust push pins. I was looking at a heatsink that weighed 450g. I like the screw in method though much better than the AMD clip but push pins make me think those heaver coolers would pop out and fall in a move back from college.

I had an old socket A HS break the tabs off the socket in amove. It only held on to one tab on each side instead of the three. Quite annoying though.

All methods are superior to the old style ones, but I do prefer the nice lever action bit myself.

I prefer the screw-mounted spring systems. There's really no way of messing that mount up.

I've seen a screwed up s775, we were clueless. I've also seen broken plastic bits on s478.. annoying to say the least as that makes it unusable. At least on Slot 1 you can still plug the cartridge in even some plastic is missing.

I like socket A's crude system.. except for the duron stock heatsink, which used one tab instead of three, so you had to exert an insane pressure on it and I hit RAM tracks on the motherboard with a screwdriver, killing an asrock K7VT2.

the AM2 system frustated me.. because it's so damn easy!

------
on the benchmarks side, what about GTA 4?

I like socket A's crude system.. except for the duron stock heatsink, which used one tab instead of three, so you had to exert an insane pressure on it and I hit RAM tracks on the motherboard with a screwdriver, killing an asrock K7VT2.

the AM2 system frustated me.. because it's so damn easy!

------

Mine was a zalman superflower or something more high tech, but it still only had one tab. I thought GTA4 looked bad on phenomII, but I would like to be wrong. I admit I was hoping for more lately, but then people usually do.

I bent a few pins in a 775 socket once, on my Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo. Oh god is that a pain to fix. Those pins are extremely easy to bend. Just a light touch will do it. I thought the board was done for but after an hour of very careful, very determined re-bending with a needle, i got it going again.

Way back when Socket A was new, there were some Globalwin FOP32 heatsinks that took unreal amounts of pressure to lock on. It was scary and the screwdriver did slip a few times. I don't think I've ever killed a board, but it has been close. Some boards came with a plastic protection sticker around the area where you did the screwdriver jamming.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive killed an athlon on socket 7 trying to get the heatsink on :(
Yeah hmmm, Socket 7 you say huh? :oops:

Well once I killed a K6-3+ on Socket 7 cuz I had removed the IHS and the core on those is incredibly fragile. Much more fragile than any other CPU core I've worked with. Even with foam pads stuck on the CPU package to keep the heatsink from rocking, it still got cracked all to hell. Lesson learned. Twas pointless anyway cuz those CPUs aren't limited by heat in their overclocking.

I dropped an Athlon 64 dualie, pulled it out of its socket after benchmarking and it was still too hot to handle (duh). And of course it land right on its pins on the edge of my desk, and then flipped multiple times as it hit the carpeted floor. At the time it was the latest/greatest sample from AMD, so my heart about stopped. Fortunately the damaged pins were all bent consistently, so an old credit card worked great getting them straightened out.

Back