asus p5w dh ide+sata = impossible? to funny...

The problem isnt about the disks anymore. I fixed that, the manaul is stupid you have to use the blue ide slot and not the black one like the manual says.

But now the bios is fucked, I cant boot unless I reset the bios/cmos (move the jumper). It worked fine, but when I came home yesterday the screen was black and after a reset it would just stay black (fans spinning though). But now I have to reset the bios before the pc does anything and I also have to do that when I reboot or try to save something in the bios (so i can basically not save anything in the bios). Got the latest bios, tried to reflash it but that didnt work either.

most boards are passive cooled. both of the gigabytes i mentioned above are. Abit's boards are. I'd consider a Gigabyte or Abit P35 board.

what program idi you use to flash the bios ?
ps: you know the black ide doesnt support cd or dvd drives

ezflash2. But that isnt the real problem as it worked fine for a couple of hours after I flashed it. Something happend while I was away that now is causing problems.

edit: the stock fan intel is pretty silent btw just as you said :) Glad I listend to you.

most boards are passive cooled. both of the gigabytes i mentioned above are. Abit's boards are. I'd consider a Gigabyte or Abit P35 board.

I'm now looking into the gigabyte ds4 as appenently its the same as the q6 only with a few features less but I dont see the real use in quad bios and things like that anyway and I read a few good things about it. The ds3 is about the same right?

I mailed the shop about how I can exchange the board. Hopefully they wont make to big of a fuss out of it as you are legally allowed to trade products bought over the internet without reason for 8 days but hopefully they wont make problems as the asus board is broken.

The ds3 is about the same right?

P35-DS3R is one of the cheaper models. P35-DS4 has two 16X PCIe, firewire, and that added chipset cooling. I didn't really need any of that so I just went with the DS3R. I wanted the better surface mount devices for sure tho so didn't go with the plain S3. Gigabyte added a much bigger chipset cooler to the P35-DS3R than they had on 965P-DS3 so I figured it was adequate too. No heatpipes or copper, but I'm not sure that's necessary anyway.

Which reminds me. I was looking at the core of the P35 northbridge a few days ago, putting on some arcticsilver 5. That is one huge die! Apparently it holds about 45 million transistors, built at 65 nm too. That's a lot of northbridge, eh. http://www.behardware.com/articles/674-1/intel-p35-express-fsb1333-and-ddr3.html
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2142&page=4
IMG_9219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the last time I flashed a BIOS I found a simple method that works on any PC with minimal requirements. connect an old 240MB or similar hdd, download the BIOS image and flashing utilities (often included) and unzip them, then boot its vintage MS-DOS that's still on it :cool:

I have a 32mb USB stick formatted with Win98SE boot disk files. :) Tho I usually delete everything but the basic DOS boot stuff. Wow do USB sticks boot faster than a floppy!

Back