Ark: The Dinosaur Game we have been waiting for?

Looks very interesting. Coming to Steam Early Access, PS4 and Xbox One.

Cool! I like it. Is there some kind of RPG progression in technology, from primitive weapons/tec to more sophisticated ones?

Interesting. Is that the first official Morpheus supported game announcement?

Also, I don't think I'd ride a giant Scorpion, ever.

It's a MMO.
So nope, it's not the dinossaur game we've been waiting for.

The dinossaur game we've been waiting for is this in current-gen form:

uVgWIgl.png

Meaning: 3rd person adventure/survival like Tomb Raider 2013, but with the action happening in one of Jurassic Park's islands.
Running away from the T-Rex, running into a pack of Stegossaurus to drive away the pack of Raptors that are chasing after you, craft new weapons (longbows, lances, knives, etc.) from items and carcasses you find along the island to defend from the smaller predators, put along a plot about saving someone, getting to place X to activate comms and call for help, lots of hardships along the way, get in a Jeep, T-Rex attacks Jeep, QTE to leave the Jeep on time, end up in the helicopter flying safely to your home together with your new boyfriend/girlfriend/kids/whatever while watching a pack of Condors in the horizon.

This is what we want. Not yet another MMO that has dinossaurs for the sake of having dinossaurs just because there's a new Jurassic Park movie coming up and dinossaurs are fashionable again.

Dinosaurs, like most people, fascinate me. I find them to be one of those mysteries us limited humans might never fully solve. One of the mysteries of life. If I ever do anything out of the ordinary in my life that could change the world, it would be building a time machine and being able to go back and film them to solve the mystery.

I think many of them had feathers. I also think that animals were so large then because the Earth was younger and could feed them all without a hitch. Still, this is a theory of mine I thought of because of a hunch, so no scientific value there at all.

Is Hitler riding on one of those dinosaurs? Then I don't think it's the dinosaur game we've been waiting for...
And chrome, lots of chrome everywhere. Shiny shiny surfaces and stuff... This reminds me of the creature.
It's a MMO.
So nope, it's not the dinossaur game we've been waiting for.

The dinossaur game we've been waiting for is this in current-gen form:

uVgWIgl.png

Meaning: 3rd person adventure/survival like Tomb Raider 2013, but with the action happening in one of Jurassic Park's islands.
Running away from the T-Rex, running into a pack of Stegossaurus to drive away the pack of Raptors that are chasing after you, craft new weapons (longbows, lances, knives, etc.) from items and carcasses you find along the island to defend from the smaller predators, put along a plot about saving someone, getting to place X to activate comms and call for help, lots of hardships along the way, get in a Jeep, T-Rex attacks Jeep, QTE to leave the Jeep on time, end up in the helicopter flying safely to your home together with your new boyfriend/girlfriend/kids/whatever while watching a pack of Condors in the horizon.

This is what we want. Not yet another MMO that has dinossaurs for the sake of having dinossaurs just because there's a new Jurassic Park movie coming up and dinossaurs are fashionable again.
Which game is that?

GENESIS game Jurassic Park?

The screenshot, yes.
The description is something I wrote as a number of things I'd love to see in a Jurassic Park game.

Step 1 - Gameplay geared towards clever survival skills, fighting smaller predator species, perhaps riding some friendly herbivores, running away like a coward from bigger predators, etc.
Step 2 - a plot centered around saving someone and escaping the island.
Step 3 - Get lots of easter eggs from the original film, for proper fan-servicing (this part is ultra-important). Riding a 4x4 to escape from a T-Rex, hiding beneath a pile of feces from Triceratops, running along a pack of Galimimus while running away from predators, use a flare to distract a T-Rex at night, etc.
Step 4 - Get Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics to do it. I'd risk to say Crytek but they've been leaking so much talent in the past few years that I don't know what's expectable from them.
Step 5 - Humongous amounts of profit

The screenshot, yes.
The description is something I wrote as a number of things I'd love to see in a Jurassic Park game.

Step 1 - Gameplay geared towards clever survival skills, fighting smaller predator species, perhaps riding some friendly herbivores, running away like a coward from bigger predators, etc.
Step 2 - a plot centered around saving someone and escaping the island.
Step 3 - Get lots of easter eggs from the original film, for proper fan-servicing (this part is ultra-important). Riding a 4x4 to escape from a T-Rex, hiding beneath a pile of feces from Triceratops, running along a pack of Galimimus while running away from predators, use a flare to distract a T-Rex at night, etc.
Step 4 - Get Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics to do it. I'd risk to say Crytek but they've been leaking so much talent in the past few years that I don't know what's expectable from them.
Step 5 - Humongous amounts of profit
That sounds awesome. Survival rather than hunting. Was the classic Megadrive version like that?

Other than that, the trailer of Ark looks good to me overall, I wonder which engine they use. I am not into MMOs.., but there is another dinosaurs game whose name I can't remember. Primal Rage or something similar.

Oddly enough, I can't wait to see this.

At least it looks decent, unlike Dinosaurs and cowboys (modern cowboys, not XIX century wild west, which makes the movie even worse, but I am glad they chose that , they'd be doing a disservice to classic cowboys) which made me feel embarrassed for the creators.

On another note, talking of giants, I watched a sperm whale documentary today and I've seen and heard about the Colossal Squid of the Antarctic for the first time. I watch a lot of documentaries so the finding has to be relatively recent, and the narrator hinted at the fact that it has been only recently recognised as a different species than the giant squid.

Back