Are you for or against expanding the use of nuclear power?

I read that SUV's are going hybrid in a couple years... cant lose too much torque or hp with them and keep up sales. I bet they will perform fine. Gas mileage is supposedly only improved by 20-30%. But its huge on a national scale. Nothing like the Prius's near double mileage but still...

Yeah, and actually electric motors are banned from some professional racing because they have superior acceleration.

My point is, imagine a new "efficient" 3D card that used 1/2 the power, but had 1/2 the performance. Sorry, I'm not buying. Make a low power version by not compromising performance, but by using a better manufacturing process, or design.

Personally for me, in fact, any extra thermal or energy efficiency, I'd like to see plowed right back into 3D performance. Other people might go for power. Point is, I want more efficiency, and I want it to be up individuals to decide how to "spend" the efficiency: "conservation" by having the same capability as before, but with less energy used, or "better performance"

In no cases will I except a "rollback", that is, I do not subscribe to "conservation" by "sacrifice"

Quite a while ago I had heard of electric pancake motors. 8lbs for 40 HP. Put one on each wheel and you have 32lbs that make 160HP, 4 wheel drive, and regeneative breaking.

Cool,
Dr. Ffreeze

PS. Could you imagine a Toyota MR2 with those things? (4 or even 8) hehe. Flywheel to store power while you are at a red light. Longer light? np, faster takeoff! =)

Paul said:
Honda Civic hybrid.

A civic is not a sports car...it's a compact hatchback.

The car I'm talking about was also available in GT3 Concept. Anyway I found it, it's the Honda/Acura Dual Note or DN-X.

Id love to see some good electric cars (or even hybrids) out in the market. However electric cars still need energy to run. :) And it gets us back to how we plan on generating that power. I think nuclear is the cleanest, most cost effective and currently available power sources. The only problem is the byproduct which if stored correctly wont give us a problem.

what do other nations do with their nuclear waste? Im sure it gets shipped somewhere but where?

later,

To my understanding (I am no expert here and can be wrong), the nuclear power plants in Taiwan (there are three operating, one under construction) store their high radiation wastes inside the reactor building. Low radiation wastes are stored in a small island called Orchid Island, but it is not the "final location." However, the site for the "final location" is not decided yet.

It's relatively easy to find a "final location" in a large nation such as the USA. However, it's much harder for a small country with high population density.

epicstruggle wrote:
what do other nations do with their nuclear waste? Im sure it gets shipped somewhere but where?

Yes, I too would like to know what other nations plan to do with their waste. What is their long trem plans / soultions? What is their current statis on storage? IIRC France generates a lorge amount of their electricity from nuclear power plants - don't they also have breeder reactors?

As for desposal into space as some have suggested there is far more waste than can possibly launched into space. A ridiculous
idea - think about it. 52,000 tons of high level waste in the US alone. Even if you could pack 25 tons per rocket launch, or even 100 tons, it would take between 2080 to 520 rocket launches! Even 520 launches at 1 per week would take 10 years. In 10 years time we would have also generated an additional 20,000 tons of waste, for another 200 lanches, or 3.8 years. At what cost? Say $100 million per launch? $200 million? And if just once, just one accident happens, and 100 tons of high level radioactive waste comes crashing down into the ocean or, god forbid, on France ( :oops: ).....

@silent_one: Id like to think in a few decades we can build hundreds of space elevators that could make it easier to then launch nuclear waste into space.

What are the energy plants that china and india use. Are they primarily nuclear? I know china is building a freaking big dam but what percentae is that of their total?

later,

The one under construction is, I believe, one of the newer GE nuclear power plants.

Yes, it uses GE's reactor.

What are the energy plants that china and india use. Are they primarily nuclear? I know china is building a freaking big dam but what percentae is that of their total?

According to a 1998 data I have, China has 3 nuclear reactors operating (total 2,270 MWe), 6 under construction (total 6,600 MWe), and 2 planned (total 2,000 MWe). That's about 1% of their total eletricity production. I have no data about India, but another data claimed 3% of total eletricity production.

Back