The Day After Tommorow

I haven't seen the movie and I'll not see it: I dislike cinema. But, about the "flash freezing", and the fact of the mammoths almost istantly frozen found in Siberia, there's another explanation, that Albert Einstein himself liked a lot: the theory of Hapgood about Earth Crust Displacement ( http://www.skrause.org/writing/papers/hapgood_and_ecd.shtml#ECD ). In short, Hapgood thought that, towards the end of the last Ice Age, the mass and the weight of the Ice covering most of Northern continents, being asymmetrical, alongside with the Earth rotation, caused the whole crust to "slip" thanks to the "imbalance", in a way that's been stated: "much as the skin of an orange, if it were loose, might shift over the inner part of the orange all in one piece."

I cant see any extra ice weight at the polls overcome the centrifugal forces which must be enormous... Id be surprised Einstein wouldnt have taken note of that.

seen the film, loved it. It's certainly not a classic but still great fun, a brilliant example of a disaster movie.

I saw it yesterday with my coworker (my sister does not want to see it), I think it's a good disaster movie. It has intense moment and dramatic. I don't really care about the political motive or the science behind it... I already learned to ignore these things in movies :p

PenguinJim said:
pax said:
I cant see any extra ice weight at the polls overcome the centrifugal forces which must be enormous...
Uh... there's no such thing as centrifugal force. Sorry. :p

Sorry Im speaking frenglish again... I meant inertia... the forces exerted by a centrifuge...

london-boy said:
jvd said:
london-boy said:
Sandman said:
You're absolutely right about film being a powerful medium. Just think about all the people that swear JFK was factual. I'm still setting people straight about the whole "magic bullet" theory.

I get that with X-Files..... :?

u mean the x files isn't factual and that jfk wasn't factual ?

Next your going to tell me star wars isn't factual !!!!!!!

No, Star Wars IS factual. We got the video from a warm-hole directly from the future. It's a documentary.

Are you on crack? It happened a long, long time ago!

Duh.

HolySmoke said:
london-boy said:
jvd said:
london-boy said:
Sandman said:
You're absolutely right about film being a powerful medium. Just think about all the people that swear JFK was factual. I'm still setting people straight about the whole "magic bullet" theory.

I get that with X-Files..... :?

u mean the x files isn't factual and that jfk wasn't factual ?

Next your going to tell me star wars isn't factual !!!!!!!

No, Star Wars IS factual. We got the video from a warm-hole directly from the future. It's a documentary.

Are you on crack? It happened a long, long time ago!

Duh.

The Worm Hole caused a rip in the time and space continuum..

Wow, after 4 pages i can actually contribute to this thread, having seen this movie last night...

Not sure what to think really, at times it was cringe-worthy, especially the performance from the dad guy, Dennis Q-something... Who on earth came up with his name for that part? There are loads more actors that could have done a much better job at it that he did... He was REALLY bad.

The effects and all were great, as expected.

In the end, a "fun" movie which is only let down by the complete lack of class from the director.

It's Dennis Quaid, and I thought he was alright! No-one is going to have any fun explaining the science in a disaster movie, and it's a difficult to play a super-scientist come action hero against a backdrop of special effects.

Although Ben Afflec is awesome in Paycheck. Paycheck is awesome. John Woo's cringe inducing direction + Ben Afflec's smugness (as a genius reverse engineer and martial arts hero) = greatest.

function said:
It's Dennis Quaid, and I thought he was alright! No-one is going to have any fun explaining the science in a disaster movie, and it's a difficult to play a super-scientist come action hero against a backdrop of special effects.

Although Ben Afflec is awesome in Paycheck. Paycheck is awesome. John Woo's cringe inducing direction + Ben Afflec's smugness (as a genius reverse engineer and martial arts hero) = greatest.

No, i mean the dialogue scenes, the "normal" scenes... He was really really bad...

Still haven't seen Paycheck, might rent it tonight...

If anyone who takes global warming seriously was shot, this eath would be a much, much nicer place - and an incredibly smarter one, too!
I had to do an effort not to laugh at the elocution some pupils did about it for our moral lessons... "In 1000 years, all of our country would be submerged in water!" :LOL:
This is ironic at best...

Uttar

Ya, it's not about 'saving the planet'. The planet is fine. The planet can survive global warming and pollution.

WE would be fucked though.

Back