The Day After Tommorow

DemoCoder

Veteran
I will see this movie because it's a bad disaster flick, and I love bad disaster flicks. "The Core", "Indepedence Day", "Godzilla", "Armageddon".

But, I think using it to promote a global warming agenda is like trying to use "The Core" to promote Ozone protection. Can the Sun really *MELT THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE* or can ligthening *INCINERATE THE COLLOSEUM*? It's hilarious, but I think trying to use it to justify policy which is supposed to be based on *science* to be manipulative and distasteful.

Oh, and Fox is behind it. Those bleeding liberals!

Just imagine the furor if Republicans tried to take some action movie with Iraqi terrorists bombing US cities and saying "this is consciousness raising about the threat of WMD and terrorism and the need to preeemptively invade"

I might just have to rewatch Air Force One, where Harrison Ford delivers a George Bush like speech on preemption, and the need to do what is morally right, even if "our allies won't like it" Bush should play that one during his campaign commercials.

'Day After Tomorrow': A lot of hot air
By Patrick J. Michaels
As a scientist, I bristle when lies dressed up as "science" are used to influence political discourse. The latest example is the global-warming disaster flick, The Day After Tomorrow.
This film is propaganda designed to shift the policy of this nation on climate change. At least that's what I take from producer Mark Gordon's comment that "part of the reason we made this movie" was to "raise consciousness about the environment."

Fox spokesman Jeffrey Godsick says, "The real power of the movie is to raise consciousness on the issue of (global warming)."

'Nuff said.

Oh, the plot. Global warming causes the Gulf Stream to shut down. This current normally brings tropical warmth northward and makes Europe much more comfortable than it should be at its northerly latitude. The heat stays stuck in the tropics, the polar regions get colder, and the atmosphere suddenly flips over in a "superstorm." The frigid stratosphere trades places with our habitable troposphere, and in a matter of days, an ice age ensues. Temperatures drop 100 degrees an hour in Canada. Hurricanes ravage Belfast. Folks in Japan are clobbered by bowling-ball-size hailstones. If we had only listened to concerned scientists and stopped global warming when we could.

Each one of these phenomena is physically impossible.

Start with the Gulf Stream. Carl Wunsch, a professor of physical oceanography at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, knows more about ocean currents than most anyone. He thinks the nonsense in The Day After Tomorrow detracts from the seriousness of the global-warming issue. So he recently wrote in the prestigious science journal Nature that the scenario depicted in the movie requires one to "turn off the wind system, or to stop the Earth's rotation, or both."

The stratosphere will become the troposphere when all three laws of thermodynamics are repealed. Hailstones can't reach bowling-ball size because their growth is limited by gravity. Hurricanes can't hit Belfast because the intervening island of Ireland would destroy them.

How do I know so much about a movie that isn't out yet? I've seen the promos, and I've read and reviewed the book upon which it is based, The Coming Global Superstorm by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber. In Strieber's previous work, Communion, he explained that he was told of the Earth's upcoming apocalypse by aliens. And how this knowledge was communicated is much more the purview of an adult Web site than a family newspaper. What's on the movie's Web site is worse — nothing but out-and-out distortion.

It also insists that what is depicted on the screen has already started.

"Did you know," says the site, that there were more tornadoes recorded in May 2003 than in any other month?

I looked up federal tornado statistics, and indeed they're going up, and there was a peak in May 2003. Then I determined the number of radar stations and their type. When our first radar-tracking network was established in the 1960s and '70s, the number of tornadoes rose proportionally, then leveled off until the new Doppler radars came online in 1988. It took a decade to put this system in place, and the number of reported tornadoes went up accordingly.

Then I plotted the number of severe tornadoes. If anything, it's going down. So the flashy Doppler radars are merely detecting more weak storms that cause little, if any, damage.

The Web site also implies that global warming is making hurricanes worse. Christopher Landsea, the world's most aptly named hurricane scientist, has studied the maximum winds in these storms as measured by aircraft and finds a significant decline.

Global warming? Some scientists think climate change strengthens El Niño, the large atmospheric oscillation responsible for a variety of weather — both good and bad. El Niños are known to rip apart hurricanes. So it's more likely that climate change is weakening these storms than enhancing them.

Will Godsick and Gordon get their way? They're sure being aided and abetted by MoveOn.org, the liberal advocacy group and billionaire George Soros' policy toy. They've got Al Gore front and center, plumping the film. They've got their Web site using the movie to drum up support for legislation by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions, which only failed by 12 votes last fall. There's a huge drought out West, which a New York Times editorial blamed on global warming. The issue is hot enough to influence votes out there.

Remember that humans have slightly warmed the planet some in recent decades, but the correlation between Western drought and warming is zero.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone's freedom of expression. But remember that propaganda can have consequences. McCain's and Lieberman's measure mimics the United Nations' infamous Kyoto Protocol on global warming, which many scientists know will do nothing measurable about planetary temperature within the policy-relevant future. But it will cost money.

This isn't Hollywood's first attempt to scare people into its way of thinking. How about Jane Fonda in the 1979 anti-nuclear-power flick, The China Syndrome?

Twelve days after its release, the accident at Three Mile Island occurred. Despite the fact that it released only tiny amounts of radiation, the politics of that hysteria effectively killed any new nuclear plant.

Analogize the Western drought to Three Mile Island, and you get the idea.

Or how about the 1983 movie The Day After, whose purpose was to strengthen the nuclear-freeze movement. It failed.

The Day After Tomorrow is only one more day than The Day After, and it deserves the same fate. Lies cloaked as science should never determine how we live our lives.

:oops: It's a movie. What's the big deal...

Still, i'm surely gonna see it, knowing that global warming will never tunr the planet around in a couple'weeks, because it looks damn good and freaking Orlando Bloom is not in it. So had enough of that guy. (He's not in this one is he, i mean he CAN'T be...)

I like the scene of the tornados destroying LA. But my brain only can be stretched so far. When they show the "heros" running from some cold air that is apparently *flash freezing* skyscrapers rock solid, and they outrun it (as the ground turns to ice behind them), enter a room and *shut the door*, I've had too much.

It reminds me of Independence Day and the dog outrunning the expanding fireball in the Lincoln tunnel by simply jumping through an open door as the explosion travels right by them.

DemoCoder said:
I like the scene of the tornados destroying LA. But my brain only can be stretched so far. When they show the "heros" running from some cold air that is apparently *flash freezing* skyscrapers rock solid, and they outrun it (as the ground turns to ice behind them), enter a room and *shut the door*, I've had too much.

It reminds me of Independence Day and the dog outrunning the expanding fireball in the Lincoln tunnel by simply jumping through an open door as the explosion travels right by them.

Yeah, that was nice and all when i was like 13, but now the brain can't really cope with that much... how can i call it.... BULLSHIT... :D

Still, will be nice to look at and all...

DemoCoder said:

Cheezy physics ruins movies.

Why is that every Godzilla destroys only US cities, every alien ship attacks only US, every comet strikes US..... :LOL:

Deepak said:
Why is that every Godzilla destroys only US cities, every alien ship attacks only US, every comet strikes US..... :LOL:

Maybe there's more people having fun watching americans getting slaughtered than Iraqis or whoever else. I mean we see that everyday anyway... Also it is worth saying that those directors are american, and we all know americans live in their little world, so if something happens to the world, it happens to the US first and foremost. And when someone needs to be saved, the saviour is.... yeah, the US!

*ducks*

I am so going to NOT see this movie! Emmerich couldn't make a decent movie if his life depended on it. The only person I trust even less to make a good movie these days would be George Lucas. TDA is just another effects orgy (potentially a good thing) defying logic and insulting anybody with half a brain (very bad thing).

No thanks, I'll just go and watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind once more...

Hey come on now people. This is a pivotal milestone. It's now ok again to destroy New York in a disaster flick. Shows you how far we've come. :)

Natoma:

ROOOOFFFFLLLEE!

Also, do they solve the problem with climate change in this movie by blowing it up with a thermonuclear device? They always seem to do that in American action movies! :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
Natoma:

ROOOOFFFFLLLEE!

Also, do they solve the problem with climate change in this movie by blowing it up with a thermonuclear device? They always seem to do that in American action movies! :LOL:

Emmerich's ones, yeah. Thankfully not ALL american action movies. The guy does have vision, and his films are nice to look at (although ID4 aged pretty badly), but he's one freaking nuke-freak....

Guden Oden said:
Did he make The Core? I'm afraid to look it up on IMDB, lest I get tainted by its stupidity. :LOL:

I don't think he did. Not sure since i avoided that movie like i would avoid the Ebola virus.

This was a good movie . I will personaly be seeing it again friday . The special effects were just great .

The movie will be pure schlock but anything that raises awareness that leads to more financing of studies on climate change is great. Ice ages are known to start under 10 years. Heck who knows we might need to severely INCREASE C02 to prevent the next ice age. I just think its one of those important fields of knowledge that is lacking right now...

Good God, whatever happened to going to watch movies for their entertainment value??

I for one am going to go watch this and enjoy it thoroughly :!:

This movie doesn't raise anyone's consciousness, it lowers them. Already I see people in forums confused about this movie. The original book on which it is based doesn't even blame it on global warming, but it's simply a cyclical event that happens every so often in geologic history (like every 250,000 years the Caldera in Yellowstone explodes and kills vast stretches of life in North America)

Film is a very powerful medium. Even though people know that the camera lies and represents the artists viewpoint, not reality, they are still suckered into it. Who hasn't cried at a good movie? Movies can make associations they don't even exist. Imagine if I show a picture of a dying child, anywhere in the world, then show a picture of Dick Cheney. What's the implication? What if I show a picture of a women being raped, then show Bill Clinton? What's being intimated?

Day after tommorow is all well and fine as a popcorn disaster movie, like Core, Armagedon/Deep Impact, Dante's Peak, etc. There is no need to use it as some tool for public policy. It movie is gross fiction, has nothing to do with current global warming issues, and just muddies the debate with nonsense.

Back