The Day After Tommorow

DemoCoder said:
This movie doesn't raise anyone's consciousness, it lowers them. Already I see people in forums confused about this movie. The original book on which it is based doesn't even blame it on global warming, but it's simply a cyclical event that happens every so often in geologic history (like every 250,000 years the Caldera in Yellowstone explodes and kills vast stretches of life in North America)

Film is a very powerful medium. Even though people know that the camera lies and represents the artists viewpoint, not reality, they are still suckered into it. Who hasn't cried at a good movie? Movies can make associations they don't even exist. Imagine if I show a picture of a dying child, anywhere in the world, then show a picture of Dick Cheney. What's the implication? What if I show a picture of a women being raped, then show Bill Clinton? What's being intimated?

Day after tommorow is all well and fine as a popcorn disaster movie, like Core, Armagedon/Deep Impact, Dante's Peak, etc. There is no need to use it as some tool for public policy. It movie is gross fiction, has nothing to do with current global warming issues, and just muddies the debate with nonsense.

Well i still haven't seen it so i don't know how hard the push the "Global Warming" issue... Is it like "This is all man's fault, we told u this would happen!" every 10 minutes, or do they just mention it?
Cause i can see this thing is really bugging you like crazy!! :D

DemoCoder said:
It reminds me of Independence Day and the dog outrunning the expanding fireball in the Lincoln tunnel by simply jumping through an open door as the explosion travels right by them.

Wait, forget the rest, but are you trying to say the dog died?

Seriously though, my thinking is exactly like yours. I debated if I should go see it because the special effects looks quite badass, but in the end I won't lend support to it with my money. Besides, Hector and Achilles bring more enjoyment to my life :)

Vince said:
DemoCoder said:
It reminds me of Independence Day and the dog outrunning the expanding fireball in the Lincoln tunnel by simply jumping through an open door as the explosion travels right by them.

Wait, forget the rest, but are you trying to say the dog died?

Seriously though, my thinking is exactly like yours. I debated if I should go see it because the special effects looks quite badass, but in the end I won't lend support to it with my money. Besides, Hector and Achilles bring more enjoyment to my life :)

Why not support it? I mean i can't really talk, cause i get it for free, but hey, at least i'm attending!!!! :LOL:

DemoCoder said:
Vince, do what I'm gonna do. Buy a ticket to a different movie, then go watch Day After Tommorow.

How d'u do that?! Everywhere i go there's loads of very rude nigerians checking the ticket like 3 times at different points between the pop-corn-and-sweeties-place and the door to the screenroom... and more inside the screen room to show me where to sit (as if i'm blind or something)....

Deepak said:
Why is that every Godzilla destroys only US cities, every alien ship attacks only US, every comet strikes US..... :LOL:

Ugh, no. The first "Godzilla" (aka Gojira) destroyed part of Tokyo in 1954. 10 years later, the Gojira was fighting with Mosura, a very big worm, also in Japan. Japanese liked disaster movies too. :)

london-boy said:
DemoCoder said:
Vince, do what I'm gonna do. Buy a ticket to a different movie, then go watch Day After Tommorow.

How d'u do that?! Everywhere i go there's loads of very rude nigerians checking the ticket like 3 times at different points between the pop-corn-and-sweeties-place and the door to the screenroom... and more inside the screen room to show me where to sit (as if i'm blind or something)....

The last time I went to the movies was around a year ago but IIRC there were no ticket checkers in the actual theater. Must be one of those US<>UK<>EU things.

I don't even think it's good for entertainment value. I mean seriously, natural disaster movies are so overdone it's not funny. If natural disaster movies were bread, we'd be past blackened toast and well into charcoal ;)

You're absolutely right about film being a powerful medium. Just think about all the people that swear JFK was factual. I'm still setting people straight about the whole "magic bullet" theory.

Sandman said:
You're absolutely right about film being a powerful medium. Just think about all the people that swear JFK was factual. I'm still setting people straight about the whole "magic bullet" theory.

I get that with X-Files..... :?

london-boy said:
Sandman said:

u mean the x files isn't factual and that jfk wasn't factual ?

Next your going to tell me star wars isn't factual !!!!!!!

jvd said:
london-boy said:
Sandman said:

u mean the x files isn't factual and that jfk wasn't factual ?

Next your going to tell me star wars isn't factual !!!!!!!

No, Star Wars IS factual. We got the video from a warm-hole directly from the future. It's a documentary.

This movie is as successful at raising awareness of climate change as Independence Day was at raising awareness of alien invasions.

Warm-hole.............................................. Mmmmmmm.............. Who on earth would give that thing such a name... I mean they should know there's people like ME around, seeing SEX everywhere.............. :D

london-boy said:
Warm-hole.............................................. Mmmmmmm.............. Who on earth would give that thing such a name... I mean they should know there's people like ME around, seeing SEX everywhere.............. :D
:D :D :D

You mean 'worm-hole', silly! ;)

Freakily enough, warm-hole gave me exactly the same idea as you (well maybe not EXACTLY the same, but close ;)) :devilish: :p ;)

So to answer your question... YOU would give that thing such a name! :devilish:

PenguinJim said:
And I see you're already on about 150 posts for two days :D

It's not my fault!!! it was jvd!!! He wouldn't leave me alone today! we had 4 different conversation in 2-3 different forums all at the same time!!

Back