Architecture and Products - read-only: temporary or permanent?

Theres litterally users in there that dont even game on PC.

Who cares!?
JFC, man. Some of us have full time jobs and family commitments that don't allow us to game anymore. But we still are interested to learn how the chips work and how other people use them.

That should be backed up by data,

Not when the poster was giving his/her own personal anecdote. Chill out.

there is zero evidence that PC gamers are moving towards consoles at this time. It's not reasonable to make a statement like that, it's not that simple. I personally see no reason as to why pc gamers would suddenly swap to consoles because high end stuff is being expensive? It always has been and will always be.
Say a PC gamer looking to play their games on console instead, they are getting a 2019 mid end CPU, a 2020 low/mid GPU thats ballpark 3060/RX6600XT level. They could just gone with the hardware that is the most popular on PC, the XX60 products. I think some are blinded by the high performance products that are HUGELY more performant than the consoles. Something like a 4070Ti is in a totally different universe regarding performance and features.

Its no rocket science that the most popular gpus always remain the baseline 1060, 2060, 3060/Ti, later 4060 etc. A PC gamer would opt for a 3060Ti or 6700XT perhaps, why would he/she go for a console thats even less capable and isnt even, well, a PC to begin with? Most PC gamers dont care about 'being 2x the console performance', its not what the platform is about.

You obviously have a high need for that kind of behaviour. It doesnt matter, everyone can see it.

This isn't the place to discuss any of this.

I stopped coming to this forum because it went from the best to the worst that I partake in.

You could fix the problem by banning ~ 4-6 people who gaslight every thread in the architecture section.

I'll just say what many of us are thinking: The Architecture forum, in particular, is turning into an annoying combination of r/nvidia and r/pcmr.

This isn't the first time this issue has been raised:

And it's always the same handful of users at the root of all these problems.

So I have no idea how or why you interpreted their post so negatively -- and that's part of the problem with any thread in that forum. Any critique of Nvidia or its products (or praise of AMD) causes a hive-mind response from the zealots there -- like something from a nature documentary when an animal tries to attack a bee colony.
And you fail to see the same attitude with any critique of AMD and resulting on-rush of rabid savior types?

Also any GPU review posted on the internet is fair game and open to criticism. For some odd reason the same people always seem to feel the necessity to come to the defense when any HUB review is criticised. If you are personally satisfied with their reviews that's fine ... there really isn't any need to respond to criticism unless you are prepared to debate on the positives and negatives.

My suggestion is to only grant privileges to that specific section to members who prove themselves able to have an honest good faith discussion and self moderate. There are OGs and other members known by the moderation team who have contributed greatly to positive discussion on this site, and those people have earned the right to be a part of the discussion and to post topics. I say we let allow them to do so.

However, I'd also suggest having another (single "Architecture and Products") megathread somewhere else where the rest can ATTEMPT to have a normal discussion on the same topics. This would allow all users to still have a voice and comment and either prove themselves capable of discussing things appropriately and potentially attaining privileges to post in the other section... or not.

My suggestion is to only grant privileges to that specific section to members who prove themselves able to have an honest good faith discussion and self moderate. There are OGs and other members known by the moderation team who have contributed greatly to positive discussion on this site, and those people have earned the right to be a part of the discussion and to post topics. I say we let allow them to do so.

However, I'd also suggest having another (single "Architecture and Products") megathread somewhere else where the rest can ATTEMPT to have a normal discussion on the same topics. This would allow all users to still have a voice and comment and either prove themselves capable of discussing things appropriately and potentially attaining privileges to post in the other section... or not.
Wouldn't work. Having any open threads about it would require too much moderation. :(

See above.

Is the restriction to read-only for architecture and products forum a temporary one until the mods have cleaned shop and conjured up a procedure to deal with thread-derailings, ad hominem and whatnot or will the section be closed off permanently?

I can see why it was necessary, so I'm not debating the decision per se, but I'm curious how it'll be handled going forward.

Good question. As someone who doesn’t participate in console discussions B3D is nothing without the architecture and product board. So not sure what the game plan is here.

This isn’t B3D’s fault but the sad thing is even with the large amount of noise and nonsense here this is probably still the best place on the internet to talk about GPU architecture for the vanishingly small number of people who seem to care about that stuff.

If I’m wrong and anyone has a recommendation for good technical GPU forum please share!

Guess B3D slowly follows the console style trend like on more popular forums.
Its hard to split these groups as a console user can also be intrested in gpu discussions.
I dont think the days of say 15 to 20 years ago will ever be coming back, its the evolvement of internet and the popularity and similarity of consoles that has increased alot.

Platform bias has always existed even during 6th gen (when b3d was found). However HW was exotic and most disnt really care about comparing to PC… there was pvc (pcvsconsole forums run by chairmansteve, remember that pjb?!) and GS system wars where people could fight it out.

It seems to me that one of the reasons for this to have happened is a lot of lenience towards users. If a particular user has been reported several times, with merit due to obvious bad behaviour, after a number of strikes just banned them? I've lost count of the number of times I have reported a certain user and yet he/she is still here shit posting over and over again.

Obviously personalities do clash in any forum and are played out through postings. I think reporting a user has limited value if it is simply an extension of the personality/ideological conflicts.
However, if some reports surfaced from genuinely neutral third parties then I think it might be a valid reason to consider a warning and possible longer term ban.

And you fail to see the same attitude with any critique of AMD and resulting on-rush of rabid savior types?

Who!? Where!?

People (fairly and rightly) criticise AMD all the time on this site. Heck, we even have industry insiders telling us how borked Navi 31 is. Not a single user here defended AMD over the latest 7900 XTX vapour chamber fiasco. We all collectively called the Navi 31 launch a s*** show that is as embarrassing as Vega 64 or R600.

This isn't r/amd. AMD -- and Intel -- gets a fair amount of flak here. The same *cannot* be said for Nvidia.

Also any GPU review posted on the internet is fair game and open to criticism. For some odd reason the same people always seem to feel the necessity to come to the defense when any HUB review is criticised. If you are personally satisfied with their reviews that's fine ... there really isn't any need to respond to criticism unless you are prepared to debate on the positives and negatives.

This is a serious problem, and is a mark of shame for this community.
People are free to both accuse and defend a hardware reviewer like HUB. But they cannot keep making accusations without any evidence, nor should they continue to make baseless accusations when results have been replicated and testing methodologies openly available on the internet.

Why is it that only r/nvidia, the Nvidia support forums, and Beyond3D seem to have such major grievances against HUB? The fact that most other non-partisan enthusiast communities don't give a s*** about HUB is embarrassing for this community.

It seems to me that one of the reasons for this to have happened is a lot of lenience towards users. If a particular user has been reported several times, with merit due to obvious bad behaviour, after a number of strikes just banned them? I've lost count of the number of times I have reported a certain user and yet he/she is still here shit posting over and over again.

I'm not a fan of ignoring or blocking users -- reeks too much of censorship. But I don't get paid to deal with that user's nonsense, and I'm just going to ignore him/her.

Last edited:
I stopped coming to this forum because it went from the best to the worst that I partake in.

You could fix the problem by banning ~ 4-6 people who gaslight every thread in the architecture section.
What other forums do you use? I’m genuinely curious. B3D isn’t what it used to be but all the other forums I have used are either dead or much worse than it is here.

The magic of B3D for me was the fact that there were some very knowledgeable people who were certified experts on graphics programming and hardware, and they were willing to engage with plebs like me. One time I asked Humus to add a 30fps cap option in Just Cause 2 and he did it. Now most of those guys are gone.

There's a troll inside each of us, ready to make bad-faith arguments for various reasons. Repeatedly engaging and calling out bad-faith posts (which itself is subjective) is not productive and only helps amplify the noise, especially if it's an ad-hominem callout. If someone was making a genuinely bad-faith argument it's not like calling them out is going to make them retract it. Western culture has taught us to dig our feet in when attacked, whether we were right or not. So all that's going to happen is a rapidly escalating back-and-forth between 2-3 posters while the rest of the audience looks on in despair.

Of course the first-order self-control is to avoid making a post in bad faith to begin with. But it's going to happen, and we can collectively limit the damage. Take the high road. Respond once with a good-faith rebuttal to the *content* of the post, and then move on. The noise will die away.

Last edited:
Back