Anyone still think Wii U will "win" "next gen"?

Will Wii U be the best selling console over MS and Sony's offerings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, that's not what I'm saying. I am not saying Wii U's troubles stem from a wonky OS or lack of software (although in part they must). I'm saying that these things convince me that Nintendo moved their launch early. They released an unfinished product and without the software they were expecting it to have for the first 3/6 months.

More games needed, and system sellers please, where's Monster Hunter ? Where's Pikmin ? Where's Zelda ? Where's Mario (3D) ?

Initial line-up is as weak as usual. (At least from memory, maybe I'm wrong, but for the last 2 console generations I don't remember any strong line-up.)

So, what if the Wii U is a big flop and only sells 10-20 million units.

How long will it take Nintendo to release a proper competitor to the PS4 and 720?

If Nintendo had made a console that used a 1 TFLOPS GPU, faster (60GB/s) and maybe slightly more RAM, better CPU, which in turn makes the unit hotter and would require a larger case, wouldn't it just add maybe $50 to the BOM? And these are parts that can be reduced over time. I know Nintendo is an extremely, extremely conservative company these days, but if they would have made a console with noticeably better visuals than current gen, more people might have taken notice and at least when the mainstream media discussed the Wii U to compare to other consoles in the holiday shopping season, it could have said "It has this, that, etc and better graphics". It won't match Xbox 3/PS4, but it would be clearly the most powerful console for a year.

If they can make a Xbox3 equivalent really cheaply for a Wii U2 refresh in 2015, maybe that is an option. It's a dream, I know but not completely out of the realm of possibility. .0001% chance. Zelda with that Square next-gen demo graphics would be mind-blowing. Mario with almost Toy Story level visual too.

No, they cant launch a new console in 2015. It has no commercial value for anyone when other consoles are just hitting close to 20 million and established. It would just get crushed hard just like Xbox/Gamecube vs PS2

Nintendo needs to make Wii U work and fast. I have serious doubts they can be profitable anything under 50 million units when the R&D budgets were hundreds of millions for a few years before Wii U. They need to sell a ton of software because the hardware margins are going to be non existant and maybe very negative soon if sales are that poor

Iwata actually said after Gamecube that if Wii only sold the same console business wouldnt be worth it. Wii project was a lot easier and less risky to bring to overall profit than Wii U. Gamecube was also only $199 at launch and was easier to manage

Iwata should be in trouble with the board soon.. i predict shocking Wii U numbers in the next six months and losses no matter what they decide to do with it. Nintendo would easily be the most profitable publisher in the world by stopping this hardware bleeding madness where basically only Samsung/Apple make meaningful money. Nintendos tactic was always to sell very cheap hardware at great margins. Does not work anymore.. people want Apple quality or Amazon pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
A short cycle console would only make sense if it was very cheap to R&D and it doesn't displace the old console--the iPad model. Apple doesn't consider iPad3/iPad 4 different machines. iPad is the platform. Likewise, Wii U2 games have to be played in Wii U but in Wii U2 mode, graphics set to PC-like "ultra". Basically an evolution of hardware rather than revolution. There is a long discussion on it already, mostly tied to steambox but can also apply to Nintendo. I'm not saying they will do this but unlike the Wii where people were willing to live with dated graphics for the controller, the Wii U's touchscreen doesn't appear to have that same must-buy phenomenon. And in mainstream press reviews, they do say the Wii U isn't any step up graphically from current consoles. So yeah, Nintendo's console business could be in trouble and they might need a Hail Mary.

In about 2 years when we get post-Christmas sales of Xbox 3/PS4, we will know if the entire console model is antiquated in the age of tablets or if this is only a problem with Nintendo.

I am not so convinced as some that the Nintendo magic would hold up when pitched in an environment that was not one the company was prepared for by growing towards it both on the hardware and software end. I think this is also part of the problem with the Wii U - it seems defensive rather than progressive and thinking-out-of-the-box, finding their own market like the DS and Wii were.

But the last thing that would and should follow up the Wii U early is something that fights the next gen consoles performance wise. That just does not make much sense at all. Instead, if anything comes early it will be a new experiment much more in spirit with what the DS was when that launched. Which incidentally was taken about as seriously against the then announced PSP as the Wii U is now against the HD consoles, and took a good redesign to catch up as well.

Nintendo has a good market and a good business sense. They won't be out of the game so easily, but they may end up not being nearly as successful as they have been with the Wii. The 3DS though is still looking in very good shape. Pokemon is a big reason kids in Japan want one, still.

I believe it is possible but unlikely. What made the Wii "win" last gen? It was Wii Sports. It will always be about that one killer app that sells these machines that Nintendo makes. I think that Nintendo recognise this and work toward making that game.

That said i believe that the direction of Nintendo dev houses is baffling. They are making Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, X, SMT vs FE, Wind Waker HD. All normal games, the issue is these games arent system sellers or at least in the way that the wii game was. The wii game sold on pick up and play mentality that was EASY with the younger and older folk alike.

Perhaps they can reinvent hide and seek, pacman or something like that.

Then i am fresh out of ideas on how they can save the system's sales. Lack of good will from third parties is what is also killing the system, But they can do nothing about that.

I'm wondering how quickly will the cost of Wii U come down. Things like the screen, their wireless tech etc, do they get cheap as quickly as CPU or GPU? Will the trajectory of Wii U's cost be different from a more traditional console for which the controller does not take up as big a fraction of the total cost?

I reckon it will be similar to Wii. The only risk I can see for the Wii U controller is that they are using a touch screen tech that is not common to what cheap tablets are and will be using, but if Surface becomes successful then pen supporting display tech may become cheaper and still better, allowing Nintendo to do a 'Lite' style refresh to something that lasts longer, looks better and is still cheaper in the future.

...if Surface becomes successful then pen supporting display tech may become cheaper and still better...
Didn't know Surface supported a pen so I just looked it up. It has a camera in the pen that reads a pattern on the screen, and MS own the patent, so this tech doesn't appear to be transferable resulting in cheaper pen-screens for Nintendo. The other alternative is Wacom's tech used in the Galaxy Note range, which also doesn't look like it'll become commoditised and cheapened any time soon. Nintendo's options are looking to me like only resistive screen, which most people doesn't use, or an inaccurate capacitance screen which is no good for their purposes, unless, say, Samsung strike a partnership with Wacom to sell pen-stylus screens.

I think it'll come down to where it belongs (~$200-250?) as soon as the real next-gen consoles are out.

Didn't know Surface supported a pen so I just looked it up. It has a camera in the pen that reads a pattern on the screen, and MS own the patent, so this tech doesn't appear to be transferable resulting in cheaper pen-screens for Nintendo. The other alternative is Wacom's tech used in the Galaxy Note range, which also doesn't look like it'll become commoditised and cheapened any time soon. Nintendo's options are looking to me like only resistive screen, which most people doesn't use, or an inaccurate capacitance screen which is no good for their purposes, unless, say, Samsung strike a partnership with Wacom to sell pen-stylus screens.

Hmm, good point, hadn't realised that. They may be able to figure out something similar though, if its worth the savings.

Back