Any vmware guru's

Uh, you may be confusing VMWare with VirtualPC, which developer Microsoft purchased a few years ago.

oh bugger :D
do you have any experience of running d3d games in vmware ?
there is a vmware player that is free does anyone know if that can do d3d ?

VMWare 6 is the one that supports Direct3D last I recall. If they back-ported that to version 5, then I must've just missed it.

You can get VMWare player for free; I assume so long as it's the same version as the "real" one that supports D3D then it will work. I haven't tried 3D yet; I installed the update a week ago when it came out but none of my work revolves around 3D acceleration :)

The free version doesn't support D3D (player/server), only the version that costs have it (Workstation version). Though it is still experimental and games will not always run right or good (CPU doing some shader model emulation). Though I barely tested any games with it.

Anyways, in vm configuration file (in the vm folder).

svga.vramSize = "upto 128MB written in bytes"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

It's puzzling, but both vmware and parallels offer d3d support in their mac products but not in their windows products (except for the experimental support already mentioned).

I hope they soon improve the D3D support since it is a bit flaky right now.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d.html
VMware Workstation includes experimental support for Direct3D video acceleration. This feature is not fully functional.

Caution: Features with experimental support are not intended to be enabled on production systems. Enabling 3-D acceleration may cause the host or guest to crash, causing you to lose data, even if 3-D applications are not active.

Note: To take advantage of the experimental 3-D capabilities of Workstation, the virtual machine must be running the version of VMware Tools that corresponds to the version of Workstation you are using to run it. So a virtual machine running on Workstation 5.0 must be running the version of VMware Tools provided with Workstation 5.0. A virtual machine running on Workstation 5.5 must be running the version of VMware Tools provided with Workstation 5.5. If you move the virtual machine and want to use the 3-D capabilities, be sure you have the correct version of VMware Tools installed.

Known Issues
Common problems for Direct3-D experimental support include the following:

Switching tabs in the VMware Workstation console does not work while 3-D applications are running.
Switching between full screen and windowed mode does not work while 3-D applications are running.
Running multiple 3-D applications simultaneously may crash the Workstation application.
When a 3-D application is running, you cannot suspend or resume the virtual machine, and you cannot take snapshots.
Graphical corruption occurs, such as:
Screenshot or movie capture displays graphical corruption for the 3-D area of the screen.
The guest cursor occasionally has a halo of corruption (usually white) when mousing over 3-D regions in the guest operating system.

Accelerated 3-D Limitations
Experimental support for Direct3D applies only to Windows 2000 and Windows XP guests, on hosts running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Linux.

Experimental support has the following limitations:

Workstation accelerates DirectX 8 applications, and DirectX 9 applications that use only the subset of DirectX 8.
Support for 3-D applications is not optimized for performance.
OpenGL applications run in software emulation mode.
Not all aspects of 3-D acceleration are enabled. The following 3-D features are not accelerated:

Pixel and vertex shaders
Multiple vertex streams
Hardware bump-mapping, environment mapping
Projected textures
Textures with one, three, or four dimensions

"limited" D3D support was there from years, not sure but maybe even in Workstation 3.x it was possible to use it via undocumented lines in VM ini file (well, searching Vmware site, one could find 5 lines explaining what and where to write)
Few years ago that way I played MOO2 afaik ;) , and 2y ago my boss started using VM in Lineage - registering 2nd "trader" hero + some scripts to repair/produce some items while he plays with his main hero :oops:

Oops, I was thinking of the 6.5 Beta that's out for certain parties.

The 6.5 version finally has a huge update to the D3D stack, and that's what I was assuming you meant. So... Just wait, it should be here soon :)

Back