Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

Dave Baumann said:
Avivo (aka Kaleidoscope).

I'll have to read that at lunchtime.

Avivo sounds(??) and looks similar to Intels brandname VIIV to me. Do you think that is a piggybanking of brandnames or just something in my mind consdiering what it does?

nagus said:
For example, the new ATI products have clock speeds around 50 per cent higher than products manufactured on older processes.

I guess that pushes the NDA expiration to the last week in September.

50% more than 500 MHz .. hmmm, gets out BigBoyz first pocket scientific calculator ... 750MHz. I hope we are not going to have lots of proviso's subsequently added later to water this down more towards 600, like " against same size chips " or " Ati to Ati of course " etc etc :)

Re: Avivo

Noticed a typo:
In relation to Blue-ray and HD-DVD specifically, an encoding method known as H.264 has been adopted. H.264 is import because it increases the general quality of the encoded video,
To be honest, I don't understand that part:
When an analogue output is used the 10-bit processed image from the display pipeline is sent to the 10-bit RAMDAC's and the image is re-quantized down to 8-bit for display, however the extra two bits are used to, in theory, produce a better resultant 8-bit output.
So is a 8-bit or 10-bit signal used for analogue conversion? Why re-quantizing to 8-bit if the output is analogue anyway? I'm confused.

SugarCoat said:
says who? i think its a blessing the MSRP on these cards with 512mb of ram are as low as they are. The XT with 512 is launching at the same MSRP as the GTX did....that is amazing

They could easily of did the same with 256mb cards and no one would think twice. What would you have as the consumer, XT with 256 for 550, or XT with 512 for 600? Keep in mind ram is the most expensive component on a card. Regaurdless of if you need it or not, its suppose to put pressure on nvidia and i think it was a good move. You wouldnt save much at all if there was a 256mb model and it would do nothing but waste cores and sell out when the 512s had gone. When you're spending that much you may as well just go all out. Hense the reason why the top 2 models have 512mb of memory.

You have seen the street prices of 7800 cards altely. Their is so much headroom to the MSRP left, that 512MB versions will coming and they won´t be more expensive then ATI´s offering.

seahawk said:
You have seen the street prices of 7800 cards altely. Their is so much headroom to the MSRP left, that 512MB versions will coming and they won´t be more expensive then ATI´s offering.

Newegg now has a 7800GTX for $429

seahawk said:

That´s not what he said. His point was that cards >256MB GDDR3 in the high-end could´ve easily been placed >$599 MSRP. NV would´ve followed that strategy with it´s MSRP, since GTX models already are at $599. ATi provides more RAM at lower cost and it´s overall performance will be at least competetive. Street prices are irrelevant for a vendor.

Jesus, guys.....you cannot compare ATI's retail with nV's mailorder prices. It's just plain ignorant. It's like trying to compare the R520 with the 7800GTX right now, when we know close to nothing about the 520. Fact is, it will boil down to value, and neither company will let the other out of it's sights. nVidia will counter the R520 with 512 meg versions at similar prices - they will be competitive with each other. IF the R520 has more speed and more features - hopefully usable features - then ATI will be able to get a small amount more for their products, as the VALUE will be there to do it. If ATI's products are much faster than nVidias, then you will see price cuts and new, faster SKU's - nV has the room for clocking the processors faster AND adding the same faster memory as ATI is supposed to use. If ATI has more memory at a given price, nVidia will up theirs. THAT's what compitition is all about. Fact is, we all win here

The only loosers here will be those that paid for the GTX's when they first came out - and they knew that at the time! Ask any here that paid $500+ for their GTX's if they are unhappy with their purchase.......it's just the nature of this business, and we all know it.

Hello everyone, I'm new here..
I don't usually post at forums, but I just registered only to write down my consiracy theory about the upcoming Ati products.

Things taken under consideration :

1. Ati PR folk promised that the top end Ati card would end faster than the top end card from Nvidia.
2. Sassen from hardware analysis did in fact get those scores from an r520 board with 16 pipelines(even if it was early revision, alpha drivers) -- My humble opinion, even though it was stupid posting them.
3. It has already been heard that X1800xl will not be overclockable(much)
4. On the contrary X1800xt will be highely overclockable.
5. r580 has allready been taped out something like a month or more ago.
6. It has been heard that r580 has more pipelines AND higher clockspeeds than r520.
7. Digit Life article mentions a rumour that the X1600s will reach higher speeds because they are not r520 BUT r580.
8. X1800xl might get out first and X1800xt to follow even by a small margin(2 weaks)

9. As I get it Ati does not want her new products to be slower AT ALL.

My guess

----->The flagship Ati card will definately be 24 pipes whatever everyone has written about it, and the only way this is possible for me from what I've read is with r580.
And perhaps Ati keeps the r520 just for the first two months and for X1800xl only or even for lower speed X1600s and move as fast as possible to r580.

That's my theory guys. Thanks for your time, I just wanted it written somewhere just for the fun of guessing, and what a better place than your forums ;)

Dave any idea on the 1080P decoding. Will this chip pass 1080p at 24 and 30 and 60 frames per second. As you mentioned there is no industry standard yet but some or the new HDTV sets will accept at 24. (Hewlitt Packard)

Sunrise said:
That´s not what he said. His point was that cards >256MB GDDR3 in the high-end could´ve easily been placed >$599 MSRP. NV would´ve followed that strategy with it´s MSRP, since GTX models already are at $599. ATi provides more RAM at lower cost and it´s overall performance will be at least competetive. Street prices are irrelevant for a vendor.

How do we know the cost to the vendor for the X1800XT will be lower than cost of the 7800GTX to the vendor. ATi or Nvidia isn't providing the RAM, they are providing the GPU/VPU.

CMAN said:
How do we know the cost to the vendor for the X1800XT will be lower than cost of the 7800GTX to the vendor. ATi or Nvidia isn't providing the RAM, they are providing the GPU/VPU.
I thought they not only provide the GPU, they produce the whole board (at least the high-end models). Didn't Dave mention something about PC Partner producing all the current X1800 boards for ATI?

It seems the AIB Partners only produce a sticker, box and some marketing for the top end models. Some of them bring out their own models (toxic etc.) later on, but not at first.

Yeah, NV has been fairly explicit in explaining this too of late in conference calls, about why they have a bucket for memory sales, and what it really means, and why the margins/growth on that area should really be cut out of the numbers. They don't want that revenue in the sense that they have no desire to be in the "memory sales business" generally; it just is necessary to make the model work at the top end initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
I would like to have a word with whomever is in charge at ATI regarding what it is they're thinking when they decide to flood the market with 20 different SKUs.

You don't have to buy all of them :p

Back