AMD: Zen 2 (Ryzen/Threadripper 3000?, Epyc 8000?) Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Async clock domains always incur latency penalty during transition. Overclockers will probably try to keep synced IF and DRAM clocks as far as possible, for latency sensitive benchmarks.
Kind of reminds me of the good old i875P chipset for P4, that had special "short path" mode when FSB and DRAM were operating at the same clocks.
Intel PAT.. god that takes me back.

@topic: I wonder if Zen/Zen+ will support adjustable IF frequency, would be interesting to see how a 2700X runs on 3200 MHz IF speed.

Very noticeable improvement over previous Ryzen solutions. Looks like I might be upgrading from my 1600x this year. I got a good 2 years out of it, so that wasn't bad.

Power consumption also appears to have gone up, which is unfortunate.

Regards,
SB

Yes, it's called Renoir, and it's supposed to hit the market in 2020. We currently now very little about it, other than that: "it is not just matisse with a GPU die in place of the second CPU chiplet."

Do we even know that it's not that ?

According to Anandtech: "AMD stated that, at this time, there will be no version of the current Matisse chiplet layout where one of those chiplets will be graphics."

That was January 2019. Now that it's not "at this time", anything goes. ;)

Here's an interesting bit about the Precision Boost/Overdrive on Zen2
Yeah de8aur was quite peeved at AMD and Robert Hallock for that video since it gives the impression that Ryzen 3000 is actually capable of clock speeds in the 4.5-4.7Ghz range, which isn't possible with any consumer cooling solution.

Yeah he draws a disproportionally large boost & seems they're basically scraping the top of the clock range already.
But at least the tech of polling the board capabilities to decide how much boost can be done is interesting.

MSI is "fixing" their 400-series' too small 128Mbit BIOSes with 256Mbit BIOSes by releasing "MAX" versions of many of the boards
https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard
https://www.msi.com/Motherboards

Using 128Mbit BIOS was fine before, but with added Ryzen 3000 support they've had to drop support for Athlon X4's, A-series APUs and even RAID-functionality (this they promised to bring back for everything but the A320-series though) - and Click Bios 5 was replaced with GSE Lite -version of Click Bios, which should offer same functionality with less graphics. MAX-versions of the boards should have all the bells and whistles again.

Back