AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Nemo, May 7, 2013.

1. LordEC911

Regular

Noise, yes. Temperature, no.

#1361 LordEC911, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

At least Muropaketti tests in closed case so our benches should show whether that's the case or not

3. lanek

Veteran

Seriously, i ask me why AMD will do a slide showing you you will have less performance with "Uber mode " ( peoples have understand it as an overclocked bios ), vs "quiet Mode".. If a review do this slide and it was the case, i can understand it, but why AMD will show this, and why the slide only show the performance for bioshock, when there's 10 games in this slides ..... "

Its like if Nvidia was coming with Turbo3.0, showing their GPU with it, is providing less performance lol. .. If the slide is official, its because it have a different purpose in the presentation, if the slide is modified, thats another story..

#1363 lanek, Oct 19, 2013
  4. gkar1

Regular

Wait so they are autoclocking like Nvidia now? I can't simply pick a clock speed, set the fan to whatever speed I want and test for stability like I could in the past?

Edit: Removed voltage since that requires an overclocking utility and since there are none I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

#1364 gkar1, Oct 19, 2013
  5. Skinner

Regular

Zwijndrecht/Rotterdam, Netherlands and Phobos
  6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Hi res simply means GPU limited. It's unreasonable to expect near perfect GPU scaling in any other situation.

7. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

8. jimbo75

Veteran

Those temps are amazing for a reference cooler.

9. boxleitnerb

Regular

What is not said is that the fan speed was set at 100% (not always, for example in Furmark it obviously was not). Just follow the link and look at the original pictures.

10. jimbo75

Veteran

Didn't realise that. I guess 80-85C is likely during intensive gaming and normal fan speeds, which is also pretty decent for a reference cooler.

11. lanek

Veteran

On the overclocked benchmark, but he have run before 3Dmark and then metro without 100% fan speed ( at least it seems )

12. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Why are people fascinated by the ASIC temps? It is a fairly meaningless number.

13. silent_guy

Veteran

Listen to this man!

14. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's one of the factors that determine how loud the cooling system is going to be.. how likely the fan is eventually going to reach airplane turbine levels.

That and I guess few people welcome the idea of having a chip running at 100 ºC in their desktops.

15. silent_guy

Veteran

For an identical workload, same voltage, same fan, same everything, a chip running at 100C vs the same chip running at 70C, the latter will have to have the fan run faster/louder because natural convection is going to be lower: as the temp delta between the outside air and the heat sink increases, the air gets more turbulent and more efficient at removing heat. It's not a pure linear thing.

16. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Wrong assumption. To put Sileng_Guy's answer another way - the cooler that is cooling an ASIC to 70C could be quieter cooling the same ASIC as any temperature higher than that.

The VRM's are usually as hot, if not hotter.

17. aaronspink

Veteran

also depends on airflow within case, etc. It could be you don't hit margin limits in normal gaming cases until you have two in xfire plus a decent thermal load on the CPU.

18. aaronspink

Veteran

The only reason to care about Tj is device longevity and at 100ºC Tj, the device already has a functional life longer than its useful life. A 100ºC Tj device should have a function life at 10+ years worst case. The device will be obsolete well before then.