AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

It's nice to know that since the ISA document was pulled because of claimed inaccuracy that the restored file shows AMD didn't change a thing: not even the really obvious errors that were pointed out before it was pulled.

Perhaps it was pulled because it blabbed about certain features that show up in upcoming products AMD hadn't been cleared to mention before a customer announced it?

I don't think volatile bit was mentioned by Sony until a little later.
Vgleaks showed a bit of documentation recently about setting cache policies via a flag so that the same shader can choose different bypass settings with the flip of a switch--which has wavefront status register bits mentioned in the doc.

As i expect them to have redesign a bit the wavefronts part ( or even push them directly in the SIMD ), could make sense...

Anyway, the conference in Hawai is set around the 23 September ?

It's getting a bit confusing. The Sea Islands aka CIslands family is known (via Linux display drivers, etc.) to consist of Bonaire, Kabini and Kaveri chips.

Are Hawaii & co. actually expected to be from CIslands or some other *Islands (VIslands, PIslands) family?

It's getting a bit confusing. The Sea Islands aka CIslands family is known (via Linux display drivers, etc.) to consist of Bonaire, Kabini and Kaveri chips.

Are Hawaii & co. actually expected to be from CIslands or some other *Islands (VIslands, PIslands) family?

Hawai and his little brothers are Volcanic Island family. Pirate Island is the architecture who will follow Hawai. ( This could potentially lead to some funny names and presentation with Ruby )

Bonaire is an island in the Caribbean Sea, while Hawaii (Radeon Rx D100 Series) is obviously a volcanic island in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

Bermuda, Fiji and Treasure Island (Radeon Rx D200 Series) appear in some leaks as Pirate islands...

I do wish they'd hurry up & at least leak some interesting stuff to salivate over.

Total War Rome2 proved indisputably that I need a better GPU to run stuff at max settings on my 30" & a chunk of my bank balance has been sitting there saying 'spend me' :yes:

I am eagerly waiting to see the new GPU-Z (possibly confirming at least the names) which is by the way already quite late with latest version dating back in ancient times- June...

Anyway, the new naming scheme is potentially too sophisticated.

How about Hawaii XT being Radeon R9 D170, Pro being Radeon R9 D150, dual-Hawaii Radeon R9 D190,

and the chip under would be Radeon R8 D170, Radeon R8 D150, etc.

Any thoughts on this one?

Meh, I'm more interested in the silicon than its label.

But I guess AMD adopting a graphics naming scheme more similar to that of its APUs makes some sense.

Are they going to hand out review sample early? Basically I want to know if I should ditch the gtx780 I just picked up or keep it.

Are they going to hand out review sample early? Basically I want to know if I should ditch the gtx780 I just picked up or keep it.
I think you should, the AMD flagship will be at least equal to the 780 and it's highly likely that it will come with 6GB of ram due to 4Gb GDDR5 being available(The PS4 and Nvidias 12GB professional card are using it).

I think you should, the AMD flagship will be at least equal to the 780 and it's highly likely that it will come with 6GB of ram due to 4Gb GDDR5 being available(The PS4 and Nvidias 12GB professional card are using it).

I don't know about the RAM, but it's very likely that at least one SKU will offer similar performance at a significantly lower price. Possibly lower power too, but that's less clear.

I am eagerly waiting to see the new GPU-Z (possibly confirming at least the names) which is by the way already quite late with latest version dating back in ancient times- June...

Anyway, the new naming scheme is potentially too sophisticated.

How about Hawaii XT being Radeon R9 D170, Pro being Radeon R9 D150, dual-Hawaii Radeon R9 D190,

and the chip under would be Radeon R8 D170, Radeon R8 D150, etc.

Any thoughts on this one?

Some site, can't remember which it was though, claimed the final naming would go like this, with this gens equivalent in brackets:
Radeon R9 290 (7990)
Radeon R9 285 (7970)
Radeon R9 280 (7950)
Radeon R8 275 (7870)
and so on

Some site, can't remember which it was though, claimed the final naming would go like this, with this gens equivalent in brackets:
Radeon R9 290 (7990)
Radeon R9 285 (7970)
Radeon R9 280 (7950)
Radeon R8 275 (7870)
and so on

I know about this but hope it is wrong. At least for me it makes less sense than the aforementioned by me :D

It seems duplicating nvidia's names. I think no one will be happy, neither nvidia themselves, nor the fans, perhaps AMD as well :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know about this but hope it is wrong. At least for me it makes less sense than the aforementioned by me :D

It seems duplicating nvidia's names. I think no one will be happy, neither nvidia themselves, nor the fans, perhaps AMD as well :LOL:
As much as i dislike the names Kaotik suggested, the ones you posted are worse.
There is zero reasons to have the letter "D" in the name of the desktop versions, only mobile needs an additional letter(M).

As much as i dislike the names Kaotik suggested, the ones you posted are worse.
There is zero reasons to have the letter "D" in the name of the desktop versions, only mobile needs an additional letter(M).

Nowadays, the market focus is shifted towards low power devices- such as smartphones, tablets and laptops. In such environment desktops lose their priority and can be designated in the same way mobile has always been.

It is a strong reason anyways

Edit:

If they indeed go to Rx 2xx, that means they will skip altogether 9000 series, 1x000 series and go to 2x000

The questions are... why, why and why? :(

As i expect them to have redesign a bit the wavefronts part ( or even push them directly in the SIMD ), could make sense...
Care to explain, what you mean? A wavefront is basically the vector for which an instruction (if it is a vector instruction and not a scalar one) gets executed by one of the SIMDs over 4 cycles.

Lol, i dont know, i was surely mix two things in the same phrase ( wavefront and front end )) (start to be tired, as i do some certification examination for 3D modelisation right now 8h/days )

The Sea islands manual still seems to suggest that LDS is 'per simd', yet their phrasing still mean it 'per CU' to me.

Back