AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

AMD have released the R9 270, offering the same performance as the old 7870 (and at around the same price as 7870s have been recently selling for) but with somewhat lower power consumption and only one 6pin power connector.

All R9 cards are also now bundled with a code for Battlefield 4, while the R7 260X now includes the Never Settle Forever Silver (2 game) bundle.

AMD have released the R9 270, offering the same performance as the old 7870 (and at around the same price as 7870s have been recently selling for) but with somewhat lower power consumption and only one 6pin power connector.

All R9 cards are also now bundled with a code for Battlefield 4, while the R7 260X now includes the Never Settle Forever Silver (2 game) bundle.

And Never Settle Forever includes now Thief, too.

The people who bought the R9 290X "Battlefield Edition" - which only difference to the regular 290X was.. the inclusion of Battlefield 4 - must be really happy about this.

But there's a new game in the Never Settle Forever even though the new R9 cards don't have the Never Settle, just the BF4 coupon?

It's great that the R9 270 has all the texture units and ROPs of the R9 270X.

The Radeon R9 270 ensures that the HD 7870 won't be missed. However, we can't help but worry about the imminent discontinuation of the Radeon HD 7850. While the Radeon R7 260X does an admirable job given its modest specifications, it's simply unable to compete against Nvidia's GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost (especially when you consider their similar $140 price points). AMD's new naming scheme doesn't leave any obvious room between the R7 260X and R9 270, but hopefully the company comes up with something to fill the hole it's creating. Our suggestion would be to drop the R9 270's price sooner than later.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-270-review-benchmarks,3669-10.html

Well, I have to think AMD is still ending up with salvage parts similar in quality to that of the HD 7850. I'm asking myself if/when AMD will do something with them. As the quote above implies, there is a niche for them.

Bundle.jpg

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/62309-amd-bundle-battlefield-4-radeon-r9-graphics-cards/

The people who bought the R9 290X "Battlefield Edition" - which only difference to the regular 290X was.. the inclusion of Battlefield 4 - must be really happy about this.

But there's a new game in the Never Settle Forever even though the new R9 cards don't have the Never Settle, just the BF4 coupon?

Didn't the "BF4 edition" include the premium/deluxe/somethinglikethat edition of BF4, not the regular?

Didn't the "BF4 edition" include the premium/deluxe/somethinglikethat edition of BF4, not the regular?

I didn't know there was such a thing. All I know is the difference between regular and BF4 versions was about 50€, which is the price of the game, lol.

I didn't know there was such a thing. All I know is the difference between regular and BF4 versions was about 50€, which is the price of the game, lol.
Yeah. Premium includes all of the expansion packs that will come out during the next year which roughly doubles the number of maps, etc. It's sort of like buying the next CoD next year ($10 cheaper), they just roll it into DLC and release a "new game" every other year it seems.

As BF4+Premium is $110, that would be a pretty significant bundle.

So I went ahead and bought the reference MSI 290x BF4 edition from Newegg along with a Gelid ICY Vision Rev 2 I bought off another retailer. All for 650 bucks. Which is probably more or less than how much the non reference R9 290x cards are going to cost... Plus tax. So, I'm good with that.

So I went ahead and bought the reference MSI 290x BF4 edition from Newegg along with a Gelid ICY Vision Rev 2 I bought off another retailer. All for 650 bucks. Which is probably more or less than how much the non reference R9 290x cards are going to cost... Plus tax. So, I'm good with that.

Aaaa? :oops:

No way non-reference cards will be 650$. We expect more price drops every now and then!

Do we know whether AMD will replace the Tahiti-Chip with some kind of a Hawaii-Light-based chip sometime in the near future? The R9 290 just seems to be a bit too much with too high power-consumption. What would be great is a ~$300 Hawaii-based card with TrueAudio support and lesser power-consumption.
The 280X is ancient tech so I hope AMD is gonna have something ready to replace that price-class in the near future.

And yet its still more DX feature complete than any other tech available (bar 290/260)...

But it's also too slow in terms of Pixel and Texelrate.

A GTX 680 can beat a 280X. There certainly must be a compromis between a 280X and a 290. A $300 Hawaii-based card, at least as fast as a GTX 770, is where you'd hit the nerve of the consumer.

Back